For the "pedaling technique doesn't matter crowd" - Page 77 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-13, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
It may be a meaningless metric but to me it demonstrates that those who combine upper and lower body muscles in their sport have a higher VO2MAX and that is something cyclists could also do if they switch to the perfect semi circular pedalling technique which makes max use of their arms when supplying resistance for that max force through the dead spot.
Again, if it doesn't improve power output why is raising VO2max relevant?
Old 01-01-13, 11:01

Which goes to show how little Noel understand's about exercise physiology.

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 01-01-13, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Again, if it doesn't improve power output why is raising VO2max relevant?
Does improving your power output increase VO2MAX ?? if it does, a change to a higher VO2MAX in an individual is an indicator of improved fitness and greater power output.
Old 01-01-13, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Which goes to show how little Noel understand's about exercise physiology.

I am not interested in physiology, physiology ruined cycling, all I am concerned with is applying greatest possible tangential force to each crank over 180 degrees for the greatest possible 360 degrees of chain drive power to the chain ring.
Old 01-01-13, 18:11

Just as dumb as Frank thinking your method is the only way to improve as a cyclist.

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 01-01-13, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Just as dumb as Frank thinking your method is the only way to improve as a cyclist.

No wrong again, the only way left to improve as a TT rider, now that aerodynamic equipment improvement is about to come to an end. Typical CoachFergie, I did not get an answer to my earlier question, what type of data will satisfy you.
Old 01-01-13, 18:46

Quote:
No wrong again, the only way left to improve as a TT rider, now that aerodynamic equipment improvement is about to come to an end. Typical CoachFergie, I did not get an answer to my earlier question, what type of data will satisfy you.
Outstanding, you think there will be no further improvement in aerodynamics. No improvement in physiology, nutrition, recovery, psychology, equipment and coaching. How small minded.

Data from a power meter showing or a force vector measuring pedal, both of which have been around for years would be a good start.

Old 01-01-13, 23:09

Quote:
I am not interested in physiology, physiology ruined cycling, all I am concerned with is applying greatest possible tangential force to each crank over 180 degrees for the greatest possible 360 degrees of chain drive power to the chain ring.
Even if that does not result in the best outcome?

Why would you not be more concerned with what produces the highest power output for durations/circumstances of interest/relevance?

You are making an assumption/assertion that pedalling a certain way will result in more power.

It's a testable hypothesis Noel, so test it and report back when you have some real data. I'm not holding my breath though.
Old 01-01-13, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Simmons/RST View Post
It's a testable hypothesis Noel, so test it and report back when you have some real data. I'm not holding my breath though.
And it's not like the means to test that hypothesis hasn't been around for 30+ years.

Old 01-01-13, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Simmons/RST View Post
Even if that does not result in the best outcome?

Why would you not be more concerned with what produces the highest power output for durations/circumstances of interest/relevance?

You are making an assumption/assertion that pedalling a certain way will result in more power.

I don't fully understand your question, maybe CoachFergie could clarify it.
Closed Thread