Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 01-01-13, 20:17
thehog thehog is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
British mother, Australian father. Lived in Belgium until he was two.

I'm sure he made the most of the opportunites for road-racing as a toddler
Nice try again. But you avoided the question.

You're simply just making stuff up.

Wiggins track star to Tour winner is a statistical and physical phenomenon. One the world has never seen before and probably will never see again.

And clean?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-01-13, 20:18
Joachim Joachim is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 531
Default

No, you said it is a statistical near impossibility

Present your calculations, or withdraw that claim.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-01-13, 20:23
deValtos deValtos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
I discounted Berzin by my earlier post because he was part of Ferrari's Gewiss team. He was the infamous 1-2-3.

Ekimov never got near Top 20 in a GT (and of course from the school of Lance/Ferrari).

Did Boardman ever finish a GT?

Bombridge hasn't even ridden one.

McGee Top 8 at the Giro so not a bad transformation.

My statistics are sound. Yours not so. It's only when one adds emotion into their science does one make errors.
Why discount dopers ? If we just look at clean cyclists in the modern era we're going to have an incredibly small sample size, which is not something you should draw conclusions from.

I don't know why you said my statistics are not sound. I didn't give any

Do you genuinely believe this transition by Wiggins is unexplainable as you put it earlier and statistically almost impossible? Or are you exaggerating to make a point and just think its unlikely ?
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-01-13, 20:28
thehog thehog is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Here you are hog, let me lend you a hand
Why get personal? In the face of losing the argument it a poor cover.

You're just making things up again.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-01-13, 20:29
Joachim Joachim is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
Why get personal? In the face of losing the argument it a poor cover.

You're just making things up again.
I'm sorry, I was just trying to save you the googling. If you are offended by the book title, I'll remove the link.

But, don't let that distract you from presenting your calculations...

Last edited by Joachim; 01-01-13 at 20:32.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-01-13, 20:30
Captain Sensible's Avatar
Captain Sensible Captain Sensible is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
Nice try again. But you avoided the question.

You're simply just making stuff up.

Wiggins track star to Tour winner is a statistical and physical phenomenon. One the world has never seen before and probably will never see again.

And clean?
Wiggins won the tour yes, but the other English riders who won the yellow jersey in the tour ie Tommy Simpson
Sean Yates
Chris Boardman
all raced track as amateur,s so it's not just Wiggins that has come from the track , yes out of those 3 only Simpson had the all round talent to win the tour.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-01-13, 20:31
thehog thehog is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deValtos View Post
Why discount dopers ? If we just look at clean cyclists in the modern era we're going to have an incredibly small sample size, which is not something you should draw conclusions from.

I don't know why you said my statistics are not sound. I didn't give any

Do you genuinely believe this transition by Wiggins is unexplainable as you put it earlier and statistically almost impossible? Or are you exaggerating to make a point and just think its unlikely ?
It doesn't matter. We can include dopers. And we can include the pre-EPO era. Which means if Wiggins IS clean even more remarkable.

Not only does he beat the EPO era trajectory of track to GT riders but also the era from 1960 to 1992! (just prior to EPO).

That's some statistical phenomena going on right there.

My guess is he used dope and move from 4000m on the trace to Grand Tour Tour Winner.

Hard to explain it any other way when it a hasn't happened for 50 years prior. (I'm talking Tour de France here).
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-01-13, 20:33
Joachim Joachim is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
No, you said it is a statistical near impossibility

Present your calculations, or withdraw that claim.
I see you haven't presented your calculations yet.

Why would that be...
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-01-13, 20:33
thehog thehog is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
I'm sorry, I was just trying to save you the googling. If you are offended by the book title, I'll remove the link.

But, don't let that distract you from presenting your calculations...
If you have a counter argument then present it. If not then you're not as smart as pretend to be. Posting pictures of Dummies Guides doesn't convince me of your argument. Only makes me think you're covering for lack of real evidence or that you don't understand the concept of critical reasoning. Your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-01-13, 20:35
thehog thehog is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sensible View Post
Wiggins won the tour yes, but the other English riders who won the yellow jersey in the tour ie Tommy Simpson
Sean Yates
Chris Boardman
all raced track as amateur,s so it's not just Wiggins that has come from the track , yes out of those 3 only Simpson had the all round talent to win the tour.
Simpson won the Tour? Got close.

I don't really know Simpson's track background. I'll look it up. But that was a looooong time ago...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.