Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-01-13, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Who is Brock?

Anyway, that Seattle bandwagon is getting pretty big. No thanks, I'll walk.

Wash over Seattle
GB over Minn
Houston over Cincy
Balt over Indy
I'm speechless. These are my picks too, though I'm in two minds about Cincy.

Certainly, any analysis of the relative strengths of the Hawks and Skins would seem to favor the Hawks, but hell, we're on a roll, Fedex will be rocking, and I'm not about to abandon my team, even if my pick represents more hope than expectation.

I think the Packers will produce the traditional Lambeau winter performance and take care of business this time, and I think that the mere sight of 'Colts' playing in Balmer will unleash extra Ravens power and determination. The return of Ray Lewis may also be a factor.
Old 01-01-13, 19:46

Ok, I’ll bite.

Those fired:
- Cleveland Browns coach Pat Shurmur and general manager Tom Heckert.
- Buffalo Bills coach Chan Gailey.
- San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith. (long overdue)
- Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt and GM Rod Graves.
- Kansas City Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel.
- New York Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum.
- Jacksonville Jaguars GM Gene Smith.
- Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid.
- Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith.

Browns coach Pat Shurmur and general manager Tom Heckert - New owner Haslam, or new GM Banner who replaced Holmgren, apparently had an agenda which did not include Holmgren’s men. Either Haslam or Banner wanted to put their stamp on the organization. (LINK1).

To summarize from that link… the list of possible coaches to take over for Shurmur includes some of college football's top names. Haslam may want to make a big splash and land either Alabama's Nick Saban or Oregon's Chip Kelly, who both still have bowl games ahead. Penn State's Bill O'Brien is also believed to be on the Browns' short list. There is also reported interest in several NFL assistants including Indianapolis' Bruce Arians, New England's Josh McDaniels, Denver's Mike McCoy, Washington's Kyle Shanahan and Cincinnati's Jay Gruden.

And then, there is the possibility that a carousel of coaches may take place, such as some highly sought fired coaches (e.g. Ken Wisenhunt, Andy Reid, and Lovie Smith). Or even the return of retired ex-NFL coaches like Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden.

All of those possibly replacements are likely to be considered by any GM/owner seeking a new HC for their team, which is part of what makes finding the right guy for their organization a tough job. There will be a lot of demand for the mostly highly sought after coaches. The GMs that lose out in the bidding war for the best coaches may be worse off than they were before the firings. That is one of the reasons I think it is foolish that some GM/owners are not more patient with their staff. The norm in the NFL seems to be to give a coach 2-3 years chance and then fire them if they do not get results. Oakland is a good example of a poor way to run an organization. Teams that do that run the risk of, not just setting the program back (e.g. because the core players to be retained will have to learn new systems), but damaging the attitude of the players to the point they will not put out a REAL effort. Those players may LOOK like they are putting out effort by going through the motions, but are they really giving all they have. That was one of Bill Parcells pet peeves: “Are you giving me a really good effort, or are you just going through the motions”.

Ok, I got off on a tangent (rabbit trail), so back on topic.

Bills coach Chan Gailey – This is one of these guys who have been hit by impatient management. TBH, I was a bit surprised they let Chan go after just 3 seasons because some of the games they lost were close. But winning is everything and there are those who say some of the decisions Chan made could not be defended, such as the limited use of CJ Spiller, the bad signing of Mario Williams, the porous defense. (LINK2)

Chargers coach Norv Turner - Long overdue after 6 seasons, period.

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum – This was curious. GM Tannenbaum was known as “Dealing Mike” for his history of trades, many of which were great for the Jets, such as the trade for Antonio Cromartie from the Chargers. Good thing the Jets had Cromartie this season after Reevis went down to injury. But I have a feeling the deal for Tebow did him in. In fact, I suspect Rex Ryan was not in full agreement with bringing Tebow in, despite his comments otherwise when Tebow came on board. The Jets gave no reason for the firing, saying:
“… it was an organizational decision.” (LINK3)

THE BIGGEST FIRING MISTAKES:
- Eagles coach Andy Reid. 14 seasons with the Eagles.
- Bears coach Lovie Smith. 9 seasons with the Bears.

Andy Reid – 14 seasons. Great results. Better person. Ok, the Vick experiment did not work out and the “dream team” did not work out. But this team was hurt with injuries this year that cost them dearly. This is one coach who will be in high demand.

Lovie Smith – This firing caught me totally off guard. I have to agree with you guys here, that there is no making good sense of this. There will be some Bears players not happy with this decision. Ditka calls the firing of Smith ridiculous and you can read his reasons in this link. (LINK4). Smith, like Reid, will be in high demand. Ok, they missed the playoffs. But they had a winning season at 10-6. They were also decimated by injuries.

When you have quality coaches like Reid and Smith I would rather the team do with them like the Steelers organization did with Bill Cowher, who after 7-9 and 6-10 losing seasons in 1998-1999, was given a contract extension and led them back to the playoffs. In 2003 after another losing 6-10 season the Steelers gave Cowher another contract extension, and what did they do? Won another super bowl in 2005. That is loyalty, which is part of what Ditka complained about in the firing of Lovie. Had the Steelers not shown that kind of loyalty to Cowher, they probably would not have won another super bowl in 2005. They likely would have spent a good number of those years retooling personnel and relearning systems.
Old 01-01-13, 20:22

I have a crazy prediction. Norv Turner will go to Philly.
Old 01-01-13, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
I'm speechless. These are my picks too, though I'm in two minds about Cincy.

Certainly, any analysis of the relative strengths of the Hawks and Skins would seem to favor the Hawks, but hell, we're on a roll, Fedex will be rocking, and I'm not about to abandon my team, even if my pick represents more hope than expectation.

I think the Packers will produce the traditional Lambeau winter performance and take care of business this time, and I think that the mere sight of 'Colts' playing in Balmer will unleash extra Ravens power and determination. The return of Ray Lewis may also be a factor.
I am iffy about Houston as well as I noted upthread. It wouldn't surprise me to see them get blown out. That is what I am actually hoping for....the best talk show host in town yesterday was saying Kubiak's job should be evaluated if they get blown out by Cincy after this collapse at the end of the season. Should and could are two entirely different words. McNair would probably give him an extension and raise.
Old 01-01-13, 21:24

Winner of Seahawks vs Redskins will win the NFC.

You heard it here first. Unless you live in Washington (either of them).
Old 01-01-13, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
I'm speechless. These are my picks too...
You two guys are drinking the same grog.
Old 01-01-13, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewcleardaze View Post
I have a crazy prediction. Norv Turner will go to Philly.
Ouch!!! That would have Philly fans crying for Andy Reid back!
Old 01-01-13, 22:02

Ooo. Reid could be going to Cards. That would be a bad a$$ list of coaches in the NFC West... Reid... Harbaugh... Carroll... Fisher.
Old 01-01-13, 23:26
Administrator

I'll be surprised if Josh McDaniels goes anywhere. He was too emotional and too much of a loose cannon in Denver. Has he matured enough? He has a family now, so maybe. But he also recently planted that family in the Boston area. I'm still thinking that in 3-5 years Belicheck (and Brady) will call it quits, and McDaniels will be the logical choice to take over.

Andy Reid will get picked up, IF he wants to. I do wonder if he won't take a year or two off.

Lovie Smith could have a job within days. There have already been Bears players very vocal about his firing, and this could come back to haunt the team. And this is why I respect the Steelers so much. They just had a "bad" year, 8-8, but considering how beat up they were. But there is no possible way the Rooney family would fire Mike Tomlin. It's not even part of any discussion. The Steelers nurture their coaches, work with them, they don't fire them. Three coaches in 40+ years, all of them with rings.

Best teams to go to right now I think would be Chicago and San Diego. Lots of talent, and established QB's in place. I'd say KC if you're going to build, as they have a lot of talent and the #1 pick.

The one coach who should have been fired however was Rex Ryan. What a disaster of a team the Jets are.
Old 01-02-13, 05:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
I'll be surprised if Josh McDaniels goes anywhere. He was too emotional and too much of a loose cannon in Denver. Has he matured enough? He has a family now, so maybe. But he also recently planted that family in the Boston area. I'm still thinking that in 3-5 years Belicheck (and Brady) will call it quits, and McDaniels will be the logical choice to take over.

Andy Reid will get picked up, IF he wants to. I do wonder if he won't take a year or two off.

Lovie Smith could have a job within days. There have already been Bears players very vocal about his firing, and this could come back to haunt the team. And this is why I respect the Steelers so much. They just had a "bad" year, 8-8, but considering how beat up they were. But there is no possible way the Rooney family would fire Mike Tomlin. It's not even part of any discussion. The Steelers nurture their coaches, work with them, they don't fire them. Three coaches in 40+ years, all of them with rings.

Best teams to go to right now I think would be Chicago and San Diego. Lots of talent, and established QB's in place. I'd say KC if you're going to build, as they have a lot of talent and the #1 pick.

The one coach who should have been fired however was Rex Ryan. What a disaster of a team the Jets are.
I agree with almost all of that. The only part I don't understand yet is whether Rex should have been ousted. As I mentioned earlier, I was curious about the Tannenbaum firing. That begged some questions, like 1) who had the power, Rex or Tanne? 2) Was Rex in full agreement bringing in Tebow, or is that something that was forced on Rex by Tanne? (If forced on Rex, then that would explain some of Rex's decisions on who to start at QB, and would also explain why Rex is not keeping Tebow.)

Otherwise, I think Rex can turn this around for the Jets. After all, Sanchez did okay his first 2 years in the league. They have to build up some positions around Sanchez and improve the defense. And if McElroy can't do it, they need to bring in some legit QB competition for Sanchez.