2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan - Page 7 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-02-13, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
But apart from Gerrans, which Aussie stands a chance? Matt Lloyd?
One of the Garmin riders perhaps? Haas, or Morton could do well on this course, and especially Dennis has a shot at the podium if he's got last year's form.

And Rogers/Porte ofc.
Old 01-02-13, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
One of the Garmin riders perhaps? Haas, or Morton could do well on this course, and especially Dennis has a shot at the podium if he's got last year's form.

And Rogers/Porte ofc.
Yeah, Morton maybe. Rohan Dennis doesn't strike me as a real climber, last year he was strong on Willunga but Corkscrew might be a bit too steep. I mean, in 2011 Bobridge was one of the strongest on Willunga but I wouldn't exactly consider him an overall favourite either.

I forgot about Rogers, Porte won't be there.
Old 01-02-13, 14:17

Gerrans will be the man for me unless Clarke steps up this year. Find it hard to see how the Europeans will take it as seriously as the Aussies unless there's a point to prove but it's too far away from many of their main targets.
Old 01-02-13, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelie1977 View Post
Gerrans will be the man for me unless Clarke steps up this year. Find it hard to see how the Europeans will take it as seriously as the Aussies unless there's a point to prove but it's too far away from many of their main targets.
I think there will be a few Europeans who will be somewhat competitive. Enough to make the show fun I hope.
Old 01-02-13, 15:09

Looking at last year's Willunga stage again, Eddy Bo Hagen rode really well when all eggs were put in the Rogers basket. It wouldn't be a surprise to see him climb better this year and the finish suits. I'd rate him as the biggest European danger. If Gilbert is bang on form in January, I'd be very surprised. But he's got the class.
Old 01-02-13, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
But apart from Gerrans, which Aussie stands a chance? Matt Lloyd?
Porte if he rode it. Bobridge. Haas and Dennis too.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 01-02-13, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelie1977 View Post
Looking at last year's Willunga stage again, Eddy Bo Hagen rode really well when all eggs were put in the Rogers basket. It wouldn't be a surprise to see him climb better this year and the finish suits. I'd rate him as the biggest European danger. If Gilbert is bang on form in January, I'd be very surprised. But he's got the class.
He'll certainly be up there in Willunga, he's posted great test results in Mallorca. I heard he was the 2nd fastest up San Salvador for instance, only beaten by Dombrowski.

But he could fall out of contention on stage 2 as that last wall could be too steep for him if some of the in-form puncheurs/climbers attack early.
Old 01-02-13, 21:39

No Ewan

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/more...73ffe1b822c6f3

Quote:
The 18-year-old will not be considered for national team UniSA-Australia - which is a wildcard entry in the TDU - because he is a first-year senior.

The hype surrounding Ewan continued this week when he beat some of Australia's top sprinters to win the opening stage of the Bay Cycling Classic in Geelong.

UniSA-Australia director Dave Sanders has no doubt Ewan would be up to the challenge of the TDU, but said selectors would not be tempted to throw him to the wolves.

"I'd love to have him and he'd be very competitive ... but a one-hour criterium is different to a 140km road stage and I accept that," Sanders said.

"I'm sure we'll see many years of him in that competition (WorldTour)."
Old 01-02-13, 21:41

What do Aussies think about the prospects of Cam Meyer? He's being touted as the next GC contender from Australia.
Old 01-02-13, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by the asian View Post
What do Aussies think about the prospects of Cam Meyer? He's being touted as the next GC contender from Australia.
Only for stage races without climbs. He is not a great climber by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.