::::~ Wheelbuilders thread ~:::: - Page 74 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 12-29-12, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsteppa20 View Post
Hi Wheelbuilders,

Am going to get back on the bike again with the goal of finishing a Sprint distance Triathlon by the end of 2013.

This means that I need to re-engineer slightly my old (but oh so reliable and comfy) steel framed clunker with a new set of wheels that will be ideal for training and also racing at this low level, ie: strong but lighter than the no-name, tough as old boots and lots-a-spokes ones I have been commuting on for the last few years.

Am looking at a set of Mavic Ksyrium's (or Velocity deep V road) but the issue I have is that my bike is prehistoric in that I still run tube shifters vice STI.

I gather I will have to have the wheels built by someone who can supply 7sp Shimano hubs (if indeed they can be obtained?) because I have no desire to upgrade to STI for a few races at the most.

Are there any other issues that I might come across and if anyone can help, where might be the best place in Melbourne to have these wheels built?

All help will be greatly appreciated,
Cheers
If the frame is spaced at the rear to 126mm, have a decent bike shop 'cold set' the rear to 130mm..easy to do. THEN get any normal 8/9/10s rear hub based wheel, shimano compatible, add a spacer onto the FH body first, then the shimano 7s cogset and bob's yer uncle.

Also see a good wheelbuilder who can design and build a wheelset specifically for you and your needs.
Old 01-01-13, 01:18

A toast, with the champagne of rims... Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-13, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
A toast, with the champagne of rims... Happy New Year!

Class

Many Happy Returns GM.
Old 01-01-13, 17:52

For the builders: I'm looking for a set of climbing/'light' wheels for use this summer. I'm interested in 23mm wide rims which I'll run with 23cc tyres in the mountains and 23/25cc f/r for other long tarmac rides. I weigh 75kgs.

I've seen a builder offering proprietary hubs + ti skewers built with the following specs:

H Plus Son Archetypes 20/24 f/r with Pillar PSR 1422 spokes and alloy nipples advertised at 1415g.

Cost seems reasonable at £395.

Appreciate any thoughts on these components and suitability for purpose or how the Archetype measure up against the A23?
Old 01-01-13, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugHugger View Post
For the builders: I'm looking for a set of climbing/'light' wheels for use this summer. I'm interested in 23mm wide rims which I'll run with 23cc tyres in the mountains and 23/25cc f/r for other long tarmac rides. I weigh 75kgs.

I've seen a builder offering proprietary hubs + ti skewers built with the following specs:

H Plus Son Archetypes 20/24 f/r with Pillar PSR 1422 spokes and alloy nipples advertised at 1415g.

Appreciate any thoughts on these components and suitability for purpose or how the Archetype measure up against the A23?
At that price the hubs are probably some rebranded Formulas, just like most everybody else does. Who is the builder, link? I could tell you about the hubs at a glance. Very nice spokes, the Pillar PSR series are some of the best on the market, right up there with anything Sapim and DT produce. The rims are pretty close, but I do prefer the H+Son Archetype over Velocity A23. H+Son has a better joining and machining process which makes an invisible seam, and the finish quality is second to none. Velocity has name recognition, ease of distribution in my case being in the US now, and tons of colors.
Old 01-01-13, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
At that price the hubs are probably some rebranded Formulas, just like most everybody else does. Who is the builder, link? I could tell you about the hubs at a glance. Very nice spokes, the Pillar PSR series are some of the best on the market, right up there with anything Sapim and DT produce. The rims are pretty close, but I do prefer the H+Son Archetype over Velocity A23. H+Son has a better joining and machining process which makes an invisible seam, and the finish quality is second to none. Velocity has name recognition, ease of distribution in my case being in the US now, and tons of colors.

Link to builder here.

Haven't seen any discussion here on the use of veloplugs. Anybody have first hand experience of them? Thanks again.
Old 01-01-13, 23:27

Quote:

Link to builder here.

Haven't seen any discussion here on the use of veloplugs. Anybody have first hand experience of them? Thanks again.
Yeah, they're Novatec or Bitex hubs. Nothing special, just run-of-the-mill Taiwan super cheapos, that's why the price is so attractive. Veloplugs work most of the time, but have heard of them causing pinch or abrasion flats. I like the idea of cotton tape as a barrier between the tube and the rim. If you're in a wet climate plastic rim strips work better.
Old 01-02-13, 01:59

I have veloplugs on my Zipp 404s.No problems so far.
Old 01-02-13, 07:53
Banned

To be honest, I don't think I'd pay £395 for a set of wheels with rebranded Formula or Novatech hubs.

For that sort of money you could have Ambrosio Excellight rims in something decent like Hope Pro 3 (they come with free earplugs), Dura-Ace or whatever you can find from DT Swiss

Excellights are light, but double-eyeletted. To give you an idea of price, built on Novatech hubs they are about £275

Last edited by Joachim; 01-02-13 at 08:10.
Old 01-02-13, 14:32

Quote:

$650USD seems high using those hubs.

I'd bite the bullet, add 8 spokes(60 grams), use 24/28...use brass nipps and look for a DT 350 hubset( I think they come in 24h fronts).

Archtypes are nice but so are A23..and A23 now offset drilling rear(a good thing).

Still be in the 1450-1500 gram range..for somebody 82000 gram range(bike and rider, about), those less than 100 grams mean nada.

As for Veloplugs..if ya get a flat, and one pops out and ya lose it, you are SOL..Light rim strip, like Conti, better idea, IMHO.