Less well known cycling records or facts - Page 6 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-04-13, 04:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbaskip View Post
Yes, both were stripped of the overall, but I think the point everyone else is making is that without either getting stripped Landis wouldn't have qualified anyway.

If Landis wasn't stripped, he won a stage, so didn't meet the requirements of the category anyway.
Right but at no point did I include Landis (Unless if was in reference to other posts?). But yes, the Morzine stage would be hard to forget.

I guess you can either have Contador (2010) or Oscar Pereiro (2006) depending on your take on things (and being somewhat consistent).
Old 01-04-13, 05:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Jan Raas won the 1978 Tour prologue, but because of a dramatic shift in the weather, he was not given the Maillot Jaune, even though his name went into the record books as the Prologue winner. Source.

Any Tour or Vuelta stats on this? (Too lazy to look it up).

Great thread BTW.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronde_van_Spanje_1977
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 01-04-13, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Any Tour or Vuelta stats on this? (Too lazy to look it up).
Tour winners who lead from start to finish (There may be others)

Maurice Garin (1903) Source
Philippe Thys (1914) Source
Ottavio Bottecchia (1924) Source
Nicolas Frantz (1928) Source
Romain Maes (1935) Source
Old 01-04-13, 10:53

Has anyone worn the leaders jersey on all stages including the prologue? That implies winning the Grand Tour the previous year and starting the prologue wearing the leaders jersey.
Old 01-04-13, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Koblet View Post
Has anyone worn the leaders jersey on all stages including the prologue? That implies winning the Grand Tour the previous year and starting the prologue wearing the leaders jersey.
Well, the first prologue was in 1967 so if you are including only those tours I don't think anyone has led the race from start to finish in any one Tour.

Quote:
The formal history, therefore, is that the first yellow jersey was worn by the Frenchman Eugène Christophe in the stage from Grenoble to Geneva on July 18, 1919. Source
That being the case Nicolas Frantz looks the best candidate since he won the 1927 edition and then led from start to finish in 1928.

Interestingly enough
Quote:
The yellow jersey on the first day of the Tour is traditionally permitted to be worn by the winner of the previous year's race; however, wearing it is a choice left to the rider, and in recent years has gone out of fashion. If the winner does not ride, the jersey is not worn. Source
I had always assumed that there was a rules change where no one was allowed to wear it for the first stage/prologue.

Last edited by Don't be late Pedro; 01-04-13 at 14:10. Reason: typo
Old 01-04-13, 11:30

The French bank, Crédit Lyonnais, has sponsored the maillot jaune since 1987. It is they who award the toy lion (le lion en peluche) to each day's winner as a play on its name.
Old 01-04-13, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't be late Pedro View Post
I had always assumed that there was a rules change wear no one was allowed to wear it for the first stage/prologue.
Yeah, that was my assumption as well. I guess the technical answer to my question is no then.
Old 01-04-13, 16:23

Bradley Wiggins is the first british winner of the Tour de France, but he wasn't the first british rider, who has won a three week stage race. In 1988 Cayn Theakston fought against bad roads, hard crashes and his own team to win Volta a Portugal after 19 stages.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/defaul...lstory&id=4503
Old 01-04-13, 20:02

wow i did not know that portugal was that big. probably it was a 3week circuit race around portugal.
Old 01-04-13, 20:14

Or alternatively, it just covered the whole country. The Giro, Tour and Vuelta never cover all of the terrain the countries have to offer.

Here's a map of the 2009 Volta a Portugal, over 11 stages as the race is these days:

Especially bearing in mind that due to August's 40º heat in large parts of the country and some shorter stages due to the less élite péloton and the endurance factor of the heat, you can quite easily see how they could add 8 stages to that. Especially bearing in mind that the Volta ao Algarve is 5 stages!

Forever tête de la course.