The Symbolic Politics of Pat McQuaid - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-03-13, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterst6906 View Post
you're a smart guy. Go back and read some of the things written earlier in the thread. No real facts, just a heap of assumptions about who is right and wrong to sit on the management committee; and what all of the current committee members must be.

All of the rubbish and corruption that comes out of Pat and before him Hein aside, what is the right structure of the management committee and how should those members be appointed?
There is an enormous difference between what you have asserted as racial statements and the power and influence factors within the UCI.

It is too bad that you don't seem to understand the importance of the Pro Peloton, and its membership, and the power factors at the UCI. Please refer to the qualification criteria for the Olympic Road race.

Of the 144 slots available in the Men's RR, 5 are allocated to the 'UCI Africa Tour', 7 allocated to the 'UCI Asia Tour', 2 to the 'UCI Oceania Tour', 2 to the African Championship, 2 to the (non-North) American Championship, and 2 to the Asian Championship.

That means that UCI Committee Membership for Cuba and S. Korea is aligned with exactly one of the 144 slots between the two.

Who got all the slots?

Spain, Belgium, Italy, Australia, Great Britain, Germany, Netherlands, United States, and Switzerland all had 5 slots and almost one-third of the total participants. These nations all receiving those slots based upon their results in the UCI World Tour = Pro Peloton.

With respect to anything approaching racist statements, one of my examples above was Canada (1 slot of 144). Please explain how that example can be interpreted as racist. Not that there isn't racism present in Canada, of course, but your logic has baffled me.

Another example was Cuba's lack of support for their athletes to compete as professionals (and exactly 9 slots. This is a fact. Please explain how that could be interpreted as a racist comment.

You are way out of line.

If you think that anything I wrote is racist, please report it. Same for anyone else.

Otherwise, please moderate yourself.

Now, you made the assertion that all of the Central and S. American countries would be happy being represented by Cuba. Is that naive or racist?

Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, and Venezuela had more Olympic participants than Cuba while Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala and Uruguay had less.

Which of those countries do you believe felt that the Cuban member also did a good job of representing their national interests?

Here is a better question. There are countries (e.g. Great Britain and Canada) that share embassy and consular facilities around the world. How many countries in the Americas share embassy and consular facilities with Cuba?

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 01-03-13, 21:46

Quote:
All this thread has been is a series of assumptions and assertions to make racially motivated comments backed by no evidence.
Please. Do me a favor and go back to cycling school.

Nuff said. Calling someone a racist is pretty dumb, dumby.
Old 01-03-13, 22:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Greg Lemond View Post
Please. Do me a favor and go back to cycling school.

Nuff said. Calling someone a racist is pretty dumb, dumby.
Sometimes the written word can be easily misinterpreted. I believe that may be the case here. I certainly can't see any evidence of intended racism in any of the posts.

Anyway, everyone has made their position clear, so let's draw a line under it and move on with the thread without any more references.

Cheers.
Old 01-04-13, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Queued View Post
Here is a better question. There are countries (e.g. Great Britain and Canada) that share embassy and consular facilities around the world. How many countries in the Americas share embassy and consular facilities with Cuba?
I don't know, but it isn't relevant.

International diplomacy (I work in the sector, so can write comfortably about it if you want) has no relation to the structure and makeup of the UCI Management Committee.

So, what is the right structure to form the management committee and which countries qualify?

That's the fourth time I think I've asked the question, but no answer yet.

My contention is that country of birth shouldn't be the qualifying factor. Credibility to contribute positively, as judged by those on the regional management committees is an appropriate way to nominate people to represent the issues relevant to a local area. So what's wrong with that?
Old 01-04-13, 02:40

Quote:
I don't know, but it isn't relevant.

International diplomacy (I work in the sector, so can write comfortably about it if you want) has no relation to the structure and makeup of the UCI Management Committee.

So, what is the right structure to form the management committee and which countries qualify?

That's the fourth time I think I've asked the question, but no answer yet.

My contention is that country of birth shouldn't be the qualifying factor. Credibility to contribute positively, as judged by those on the regional management committees is an appropriate way to nominate people to represent the issues relevant to a local area. So what's wrong with that?
There is nothing wrong with that.

Like it or not, it just isn't how the sport of cycling works.

My point (and that of others) is that there is an enormous difference between egalitarian ideals and how the UCI actually functions.

This thread is about the symbolic politics of McQuaid. The representation on the UCI Committee underscores the disparity between the politics and the reality. And that disparity underscores how Phat may be well able to keep hold on his position when he has been a complete disaster as the sport's leader.

You or I may not like the reality, but we should not be ignorant of it.

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 01-04-13, 08:07

Default UCI Committee Selection

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with that.

Like it or not, it just isn't how the sport of cycling works.

My point (and that of others) is that there is an enormous difference between egalitarian ideals and how the UCI actually functions.

This thread is about the symbolic politics of McQuaid. The representation on the UCI Committee underscores the disparity between the politics and the reality. And that disparity underscores how Phat may be well able to keep hold on his position when he has been a complete disaster as the sport's leader.

You or I may not like the reality, but we should not be ignorant of it.

Dave.
Well said !!
Old 01-04-13, 16:45

Quote:
As an FYI for the casual reader: my incomplete read and poor comprehension of the rules suggests the old purpose of the UCI as a sort of passive rules-making body for all national federations was demoted by Hein.

Like what passes for voting in many countries, there's some symbolic democracy. (lower-case d) But, the dictator/terrorist leader Hein essentially run the federation as he pleases.

Another way to look at it is the most active thing the management committee has done in a decade is shut down the Kimmage litigation.
Old 01-04-13, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
As an FYI for the casual reader: my incomplete read and poor comprehension of the rules suggests the old purpose of the UCI as a sort of passive rules-making body for all national federations was demoted by Hein.

Like what passes for voting in many countries, there's some symbolic democracy. (lower-case d) But, the dictator/terrorist leader Hein essentially run the federation as he pleases.

Another way to look at it is the most active thing the management committee has done in a decade is shut down the Kimmage litigation.
the power of change still lies with the riders and DSs.
got news for ya'll: they don't want any change.
UCI is a good money maker.
Old 01-04-13, 16:55

Quote:
That is a loaded question. What's the desired outcome of a new management committee? Remember, you've got the IOC looking over your shoulder ready to fire/relegate your sport should they not be pleased with a new goal.

The IOC's interests are:
1. monetize the sport
2. maintain a worldwide monopoly on the sport.
3. suppress doping controversy. Notice how sporting offences like doping are not criminal. That's mostly worldwide and legislated by the IOC.

Don't do any of those, and suddenly the IOC's interest in your sport may shift and the number of events cycling is allowed is cut, broadcast time is cut and shifted to odd hours, and so on.

So, what are the new management committee goals?

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 01-04-13 at 16:57.
Old 01-04-13, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
the power of change still lies with the riders and DSs.
got news for ya'll: they don't want any change.
UCI is a good money maker.
Politely disagree. If the UCI actually funded/permitted back-dated testing with current sanctions and actually processed the positives, all but the dumbest riders would stop.

The UCI is still small relative to a FIFA or F1 too. Pat and Hein's efforts to get rid of all but ASO/RCS/WCP for event owners will better monetize the sport, essentially super-charging a monopoly market.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 01-04-13 at 17:02.