Durability of carbon frames: success stories - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 01-04-13, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Didn't all those M2s eventually break? Sorta like Yeti FROs.
Not sure about all of them eventually breaking. The M2's I had as a cadet, and the M4's I had as a Junior. Both models cracked at the weld on the top of the bottom bracket on the left side. Shame since I really liked the M2, but that's probably because it was my first real race bike.

Wonder if metal matrix composites will come back. Like Carbon, I think that they could still improve on the engineering of it. Those bikes were stiff.
Old 01-05-13, 06:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FignonLeGrand View Post
My first carbon bike was my 2007 Cervelo Soloist. Loved the bike, suited me perfectly. Proabably rode no more than 5k per year as I was super precious and didnt ride in rain etc. Last year on a long ride the right hand crankset bearing insert came loose and the bike was replaced

Now have a Storck fenomalist rides nice but head tube is so stiff any bump kills my arms.. . . . . . . . . . .still miss my soloist
How is this a success story? You need to post that in the fail thread.
Old 01-05-13, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FignonLeGrand View Post
My first carbon bike was my 2007 Cervelo Soloist. Loved the bike, suited me perfectly. Proabably rode no more than 5k per year as I was super precious and didnt ride in rain etc. Last year on a long ride the right hand crankset bearing insert came loose and the bike was replaced

Now have a Storck fenomalist rides nice but head tube is so stiff any bump kills my arms.. . . . . . . . . . .still miss my soloist
The 'best' warranty is the one never used.

Try bigger tires, less air for the Storck. Those are 'race frames', made to be stiff.
Old 01-06-13, 01:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post
Since then Giant has really stepped up in terms of frame stiffness and finish quality though.
Glad to hear that. The industry needs a company that's unabashedly Chinese and produces first-rate stuff.

I'd heard that the modular-monocoque construction of the first-generation Scott CR1 really set the standard for carbon fabrication as it's generally done now.
Old 01-06-13, 05:29

None on my carbon frames have failed. First one was early 1990s.

Had the bottom bracket weld break on a steel frame after a lot of kms. Had an aluminium seat clamp shear off (that one sucked - was a looong way from home and rode the whole way back out of the saddle).

Never broken a carbon frame or component. I'm a lightweight climber tho, so ymmv.
Old 01-06-13, 17:10

I've been riding carbon for 20 years, starting with the earliest Trek OCLV 5000 series frame. It's still going strong under a friend of mine. My next carbon frame a Trek 5500 was retired when the aluminium bottom bracket shell became un-bonded. Not really a failure of the carbon, though. The 5-year-old replacement BMC Pro machine is still going fine, and my new C59 is flawless.

In contrast, I have had two steel frames fail through fatigue. One, the head-tube at the lug edge and the other a steel steerer tube cracked through. These were both decent frames/forks. Until they broke.
Old 01-07-13, 01:38

Look 565, 8 years old, approx 100,000kms, no need to replace it as the technology has not changed much
Old 01-07-13, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenceline View Post
Look 565, 8 years old, approx 100,000kms, no need to replace it as the technology has not changed much
That's what I call a success story, to be sure. If my 585 lasts that long it could be my last racing bike.