Creatine overdose? - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 08-23-10, 20:38

When I was a medical student at a department of ortopedic surgery, Danish soccer player Preben Elkjær once had an injury when playing in Italy for Verona. His recovery from the injury was extremely swift - thanks to the fantastic medical technology offered in that country. In fact so fast that his muscles outgrew his muscle compartments - so when he trained, his muscles would swell too much and cause intense pain. So he had to have his legs operated (his muscle compartments cut open).

Like these footballers, he probably was ill adviced by his trainers.
Old 08-23-10, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickfix View Post
Is there anything else that could have caused levels this high?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...l/7166911.html
After reading the article, it's evident that something stinks-you simply cannot get that kind muscle damage, have high levels of CK, and pretend the kids weren't taking anything.
I used to take Creatine supplements, and the first advice I've got was the weight gain, water retention & muscle stiffness/cramping IF the dosage gets increased out of the established limits-I noticed gains in strength, but my weight went out of control, so I no longer use it. Creatine by itself is helpful under the recommended dosages, and works even better if you combine it with beta-alanine & some testosterone-enhancers like tribulus terrestris or the synthetic counterparts----now you put all those supplements together in the hands of high school kids without any supervision and guess what happens....
Old 08-23-10, 23:11

Yeah I can see that happening in texas those kids are born for football.
Another thing it could be or have to do with is muscle suppliment company BSN actually had a few bad batches of their NO Xplode sold and a lot of people ended up having kidney issues/failure. That combined with the already obvious issue of what looks like steroids abuse would cause something to happen.

But I've been taking sups for a while and I haven't heard of anyone having a CREATINE overdose.
Old 08-24-10, 02:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
After reading the article, it's evident that something stinks-you simply cannot get that kind muscle damage, have high levels of CK, and pretend the kids weren't taking anything.
I used to take Creatine supplements, and the first advice I've got was the weight gain, water retention & muscle stiffness/cramping IF the dosage gets increased out of the established limits-I noticed gains in strength, but my weight went out of control, so I no longer use it. Creatine by itself is helpful under the recommended dosages, and works even better if you combine it with beta-alanine & some testosterone-enhancers like tribulus terrestris or the synthetic counterparts----now you put all those supplements together in the hands of high school kids without any supervision and guess what happens....
im assuming with water retention and weight gain you were mainly consuming creatine monohydrate there are better forms which do not cause this at least for me. yeah beta alanine and creatine together make you more effective and the addition of tribulus and others even more so. i still dont get how 18 kids with various levels of organ function all got ****ed up very odd.
Old 08-24-10, 02:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFrankyBx View Post
Yeah I can see that happening in texas those kids are born for football.
Another thing it could be or have to do with is muscle suppliment company BSN actually had a few bad batches of their NO Xplode sold and a lot of people ended up having kidney issues/failure. That combined with the already obvious issue of what looks like steroids abuse would cause something to happen.

But I've been taking sups for a while and I haven't heard of anyone having a CREATINE overdose.
**** scary i like bsn products generally but mostly use vpx more complete.
Old 08-24-10, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFrankyBx View Post
What are you tryin to say lol
that none of these kids will likely ever join mensa...sorry cant help it.
Old 08-24-10, 12:14

Anecdotal so take it for what it is, but a few years ago I started running in the spring like I did every year. I was also working with weights at the time and taking creatine daily. I quickly started having swelling issues with my calves while running, usually at about the 3 mile point, in the area between the meaty part of the calf and the heel. It would swell so bad that I would lose all feeling in my feet. If I stopped to stretch it out or walk the swelling would go down a bit, but would return as soon as I started running. I went to the doctor after a few weeks of this who said it sounded like Exercise Induced Compartment Syndrome, and sent me to an Orthopedic Surgeon for further evaluation. He wanted to do a test where they measure the pressure in the muscle while exercising. We scheduled it for about a month down the line, and that if the pressure proved compartment syndrome then they could do surgery on it to relieve the pressure while exercising, and that he had just done the same thing for a high school lacrosse player that was having exactly the same issue. In the meantime I took a few days off from exercising and stopped taking the creatine. I went for a run a few days later and went 4 miles without any issues, the next day went 5, and did 6 the rest of the week without any problems, so I called the doctor and canceled the test. Like I said, anecdotal, but I don't take creatine anymore, that's for sure.
Old 08-24-10, 15:11

To me, it sounds as though they took some form of adulterated/stale/outdated creatine product. I used to be into lifting weights big time years ago and took one or two creatine products myself here and there (the ones made my MuscleTech). Creatine definitely makes you stronger and is popular amongst people looking to get bigger muscles. I do remember hearing some horror stories back in the day… mainly people buying adulterated creatine from the wrong place and getting sick on it, but no muscle fiber rupture stuff though.

On the other hand… there is something commonly known as "oil" (Equipoise I think it's called) in the bodybuilding world, which is nothing more than an injectable form of oil that blows up the muscles around the injection area. Some bodybuilding idiots (Greg Valentino et al) have abused the "oil" and did develop the problems described in the post at the beginning of this thread. I wouldn't be surprised if these knuckleheads were taking creatine along with some form or Equipoise and the doctors erroneously diagnosed the problems as creatine overdose, which is an absurd concept by the way, like overdosing on chocolate, apples or twinkies.

This is what happens when you mis oil abuse and hardcore training:

My two cents.

Last edited by Seņor_Contador; 08-24-10 at 15:19.
Old 08-24-10, 19:59

I would doubt "oil", those guys can barely move after injecting. My thought was too much creatine and salt tablets (some football coaches still think one has to replace salt and they encourage kids to "take their salt"), also so many kids are taking "precursors" they get over Internet, no telling what those are but high school kids on their football teams are heavier than college players of 25-30 years past. And they have that puffy look of roids when you do not work out for 4 hours.
Old 01-04-13, 19:37

I just heard that Simon Fourcade, world class biathlete is also recovering from compartment syndrome.

Any new perspective on ways to get this?

Semi related, Kris Freeman, XC Skier, had it, got it sorted, and since hasn't performed to old standards. He's also diebetic but seemed to get tht under control better and better (more insulin).