observations of John Hoberman - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-04-13, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Greg Lemond View Post
The guy does not talk poop. Well informed. IOC, UCI, FIFA, UEFA, all the same mtf's.
ow yeah.
there is so much interesting stuff in that interview.
Old 01-04-13, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
I didn't as VN's history of protecting the UCI lead me to believe it would be more junk. Now that I DID read it, I'm going outside to see if gravity works backwards.
Velonews has improved in recent months IMO .....
Old 01-04-13, 22:11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
I remember when discussing the Contador/Saxo visit to Israel, couple of posters claiming how CAS was without a shadow of a doubt impartial, unbribable, integer, etc.

guess again guys.
Not too subtle are you sniper?

I was of those (although I would never say "without a shadow of doubt") - while Coates clearly has history, there is nothing to suggest that CAS has ever taken any bribes or been bought etc, and if Contador did he should ask for a refund.
Old 01-04-13, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
Not too subtle are you sniper?

I was of those (although I would never say "without a shadow of doubt") - while Coates clearly has history, there is nothing to suggest that CAS has ever taken any bribes or been bought etc, and if Contador did he should ask for a refund.
you could also just say "I was wrong".
but then this is probably as much an admission as one is ever going to get from you.
Old 01-04-13, 22:34
Banned

Quote:
but then this is probably as much an admission as one is ever going to get from you.
But I am not wrong.

Firstly, CAS convicted Contador.
Coates is the IOC lackey who co-ordinates CAS, but after that CAS is independent.
I also doubt I would have said what you attributed to "some people" - anyone can be corrupted, but as there are 3 people who arbitrate (with each side picking one member) then it is as safe a system as can be, and moreso there has never been any suggestion made against any CAS verdict.

Read Hobermans piece again, and this time read what it says, not your conclusions of it.
Old 01-04-13, 22:44

Quote:
I wonder if you had a PhD or managed a pro cycling team if people would just believe whatever it was you said.
Old 01-04-13, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
But I am not wrong.

Firstly, CAS convicted Contador.
Coates is the IOC lackey who co-ordinates CAS, but after that CAS is independent.
I also doubt I would have said what you attributed to "some people" - anyone can be corrupted, but as there are 3 people who arbitrate (with each side picking one member) then it is as safe a system as can be, and moreso there has never been any suggestion made against any CAS verdict.

Read Hobermans piece again, and this time read what it says, not your conclusions of it.
I was ridiculed for speculating about CAS members being manipulable or at least influenceable. The data on Coates suggest it's not so far-fetched.

Quote:
but after that CAS is independent.
WADA and CAS look really bad in this interview.
Knowing how heavily Coates is compromised, would you still put your hand in the fire for CAS' 'independency'? I wouldn't.
Integrity at the top there is none.
I bet some months ago nobody would have dared to claim Coates isn't fully independent.

Quote:
there has never been any suggestion made against any CAS verdict.
read Hoberman: the FIFA had zero positives on four consecutive WC's, and everybody buys it. Does that make FIFA anti-doping 'independent'?
Old 01-05-13, 02:28

"The activity itself has become pharma-dependent. And the idea that the best-intentioned people at the World Anti-doping Agency are going to make this go away is a dream."
this makes him sound believable, but now with being involved in certain movements sounds like "if i was king of the world..."
Old 01-05-13, 05:29
Banned

Quote:
I was ridiculed for speculating about CAS members being manipulable or at least influenceable. The data on Coates suggest it's not so far-fetched.
Kinda sorta.

You were not ridiculed because you speculated about people.
You were ridiculed because of the specific in which you suggested Saxo went to Israel and built schools because the chief arbitrator was from Israel.
And actually on reflection, I remember suggesting that if a bribe were to be done by CAS members good old cash would work better.

Quote:
WADA and CAS look really bad in this interview.
Knowing how heavily Coates is compromised, would you still put your hand in the fire for CAS' 'independency'? I wouldn't.
Integrity at the top there is none.
I bet some months ago nobody would have dared to claim Coates isn't fully independent.
While I would not put my hand in the fire for any institution, CAS IMO is certainly the best way to do things and what they have been done has beyond reproach.

Again read what Hoberman says.

Quote:
read Hoberman: the FIFA had zero positives on four consecutive WC's, and everybody buys it. Does that make FIFA anti-doping 'independent'?
Old 01-05-13, 05:49
Banned

Quote:
You were ridiculed for an laughable theory about how Contadar training in Israel showed that a conspiracy of Da Joos was about to fix the CAS result. I did not see anything in the Hoberman interview about the Protocols of Zion or a new addendum to it that furthers the nefarious plan by using sport stars.