Dede Barry - Page 5 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-04-13, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworld View Post

Watching him charge up the Hamilton Escarpment in 2003...'not normal' for Mike for sure.
I was there that day, directly downhill from the summit. It was thrilling to see him attack his group of A+ riders while the crowd when crazy......but it was clear to me that was not real
Old 01-05-13, 01:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
I was there that day, directly downhill from the summit. It was thrilling to see him attack his group of A+ riders while the crowd when crazy......but it was clear to me that was not real
Sorry I know this is supposed to be about DD...I just want to clarify one point. I have been accused of disliking a rider just because he is an ****. Here is a Canadian, who is actually a nice guy, but I still dislike him. Mike is a very sophisticated person, who wears his amiable cloak and organic nature so well that you might actually believe he was clean. I did, until that day of the WC in Hammertown.

Someone should contact Bauer about Mike, they knew each other 'very' well.
Old 01-06-13, 04:25

Quote:
Sorry I know this is supposed to be about DD...I just want to clarify one point. I have been accused of disliking a rider just because he is an ****. Here is a Canadian, who is actually a nice guy, but I still dislike him. Mike is a very sophisticated person, who wears his amiable cloak and organic nature so well that you might actually believe he was clean. I did, until that day of the WC in Hammertown.

Someone should contact Bauer about Mike, they knew each other 'very' well.
Until Barry's disingenuous confession, mere mention in Toronto that he couldn't have ridden clean was met with death stares.
To this day, Bauer is regarded as a squeaky clean rider, despite the fact he backed Armstrong till the bitter end.
I don't get the need to hang on to notions that riders from Canada don't dope.
Reminds me of the Ben Johnson affair. He was a Canadian until he got caught. Then he was from Jamaica.
Old 01-06-13, 06:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by the delgados View Post
The people who believe Canadians don't dope clearly didn't do any racing in Canada.

The Mike Barry admission really bugs me. The Floyd Landis comments, the no doping after 2006, the "no choice", the "it didn't make me feel good" ...

Just makes me sick.
Old 01-06-13, 07:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by the delgados View Post
Until Barry's disingenuous confession, mere mention in Toronto that he couldn't have ridden clean was met with death stares.
To this day, Bauer is regarded as a squeaky clean rider, despite the fact he backed Armstrong till the bitter end.
Reminds me of the Ben Johnson affair. He was a Canadian until he got caught. Then he was from Jamaica.
His Hammerton performance only lacked the circus tent.

Here is a guy that never even make his own team's TdF squad (well known as full blown dopers even at that time) as a Domestique.

Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compete_clean View Post
The people who believe Canadians don't dope clearly didn't do any racing in Canada.

The Mike Barry admission really bugs me. The Floyd Landis comments, the no doping after 2006, the "no choice", the "it didn't make me feel good" ...

Just makes me sick.
Exactly.

They must think Canadians are just basically stupid.

And, of course, there was more than one Canadian that rode with Lance.

One Canadian teammate has provided a 'stock admission'. Another ex-teammate who is/was a Canadian resident was already banned for life.

Any other Canadians ride with Doper boy?

Nah, we must have exposed all the dopers.

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 01-06-13, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Queued View Post
His Hammerton performance only lacked the circus tent.

Here is a guy that never even make his own team's TdF squad (well known as full blown dopers even at that time) as a Domestique.

Any other Canadians ride with Doper boy?

Nah, we must have exposed all the dopers.

Dave.
Agreed. In the recent past and currently every Canadian rider, all riders, are on the potential doping list.

As for Bauer I am sure he knew of Lancey, and probably just stayed close enough to be his friend but far enough away to stay clear of his sordid path. But at the end of Steve's career he basically faded away without wins. In fact he was on a CBC program that basically catalogued his near depression in cycling due to the fact he could not 'regain' his winning form. I wonder if Lemond can shed some light on Bauer.

I have only heard that he was not a user. Has anyone heard otherwise?
Old 01-06-13, 13:19

Quote:
Agreed. In the recent past and currently every Canadian rider, all riders, are on the potential doping list.

As for Bauer I am sure he knew of Lancey, and probably just stayed close enough to be his friend but far enough away to stay clear of his sordid path. But at the end of Steve's career he basically faded away without wins. In fact he was on a CBC program that basically catalogued his near depression in cycling due to the fact he could not 'regain' his winning form. I wonder if Lemond can shed some light on Bauer.

I have only heard that he was not a user. Has anyone heard otherwise?
I am confident that Bauer, Fraser, Landry, all rode clean. Not so sure about the past of one current rider doing quite well at the moment.
Old 01-06-13, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyninefourteen View Post
I am confident that Bauer, Fraser, Landry, all rode clean. Not so sure about the past of one current rider doing quite well at the moment.
Ryder and the other early-to-mid 2000s MTB crew are as dirty as the mud they rode in. Roland Green paved the way.
Old 01-06-13, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam pants View Post
Ryder and the other early-to-mid 2000s MTB crew are as dirty as the mud they rode in. Roland Green paved the way.
It is suspected that Ryder 'trains' in Hawaii for similar reasons those who used Fuentes and Ferarri 'trained' in Tenerife.
Old 01-06-13, 19:40

@D-Queued

Not to veer too far off topic, but I was surprised to see Barry launch himself out of the peloton and foolishly tow the decisive move to the line at the 2003 WC.

But if memory serves, the race (which was won by a domestique) was relatively dull and featured little to no attacking. All someone like Barry had to do was keep his nose out of the wind and wait for one surge on the final hill of the final lap.