2013 Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread - Page 15 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-04-13, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToreBear View Post
Remember that the sprints usually don't displace the longer races. Only a few skiers focus on both the distance and the sprint cup.

Also the sprints are a great way to introduce young skiers to the world cup level before they have the capacity for the distance races. Also it might give more nations and atletes a chance to show themselves.
80km crits are a great way to introduce young cyclists to the top level before they have the capacity for the tough classics and mountain stages, but I would still be mortified if they included an 80km crit in every World Tour stage race.

Maybe I'm just an élitist (it wouldn't be the first time), but I don't think they should be worth the same as proper field races, whether mass start or individual start, and as I said before, I look at them in the same way that I look at the Veltins-Arena biathlon races. A sometimes entertaining diversion, but nothing more. Also, that they've been popular has a knock-on effect on the arranging of the rest of the calendar with real endurance events seemingly decreasing in number and too many short "distance" races.

Forever tête de la course.

Last edited by Libertine Seguros; 01-04-13 at 22:05.
Old 01-04-13, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
80km crits are a great way to introduce young cyclists to the top level before they have the capacity for the tough classics and mountain stages, but I would still be mortified if they included an 80km crit in every World Tour stage race.

Maybe I'm just an élitist (it wouldn't be the first time), but I don't think they should be worth the same as proper field races, whether mass start or individual start, and as I said before, I look at them in the same way that I look at the Veltins-Arena biathlon races. A sometimes entertaining diversion, but nothing more. Also, that they've been popular has a knock-on effect on the arranging of the rest of the calendar with real endurance events seemingly decreasing in number and too many short "distance" races.
That's how you should look at the entire Tour de Ski. Really, it's just one big gimmick. I thought it might get better with time, but it seems it's rather getting worse every year. If you take it for what it is, though, some of the individual stages might be entertaining in themselves, but I shudder to think that someone might believe this to be the pinnacle of the sport.

And the name is the dumbest thing in the history of organized sports.
Old 01-04-13, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltiv View Post
Agree. In general, the distances in TDS are way too short, not only for women. In total, the men go 90 km over the course of 9 days. That's a whopping 10 km average per day. Most people do a lot more than that when on winter holidays

For the women, every race is basically a sprint. Which is why Kowalczyk and Bjørgen are so dominant. Real skiers like Johaug and Steira would be a lot closer if they had some long races.
With two restdays, even. Ridiculous. Like having two restdays in tirreno adriatico, and 40 km stages.
Old 01-04-13, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapata View Post
With two restdays, even. Ridiculous. Like having two restdays in tirreno adriatico, and 40 km stages.
And yet the Norwegians think they have to eat all the time...I remember watching a report on how much Northug eats during Tour de Ski, it's just ridiculous. Last year he complained that he had put on so many kilos during the Tour de Ski, but obviously that's going to happen when he eats as if he's riding the goddamn TDF when what he's actually doing is training an average of about 25 minutes a day! Hard or not - that's not going to burn enough calories to justify eating such huge amounts. It's like they haven't actually understood how friggin easy this race is - they're basically training a whole lot less than they would have when not racing.
Old 01-05-13, 09:58

Things i would suggest

- Sprints have to be of 1.5 km and should include some difficulty. No totally flat city sprints!
- Especially Woman distances in general have to increase
- Mass starts should only be used on 30km or longer (or 20km or something for women)
- Tracks should be of a decent difficulty, especially during mass start races.
- Individual starts should not be totally ditched. At least a few times a season there should be individual starts on longer distances. That's simply what makes cross country skiing. Don't forget your history!
- If you make an event like the Tour de Ski it has to live up to the hype. This year's route is pathetic, especially the one for the women.

For world championchips(Olympic games i would suggest the following patterns.

15km individual start (free or classic)
30km individual start (free or classic)
50km skiathlon mass start
4 x 10km rleay (free, classic, free, classic)
1,5km Sprint (free or classic)
Team Sprint ( one classic, one free)

Women accordingly
Distance races 10km, 20km and 30km

Men
Old 01-05-13, 10:16

50KM Skiathlon? Really?
Old 01-05-13, 10:43

Yesterday's stages seem the most pointless of the lot, oooh, a 15 minute effort! Should have been a 30km+ TT, at least on the mens side it would mean the GC is not just based on time bonuses. Stupid to have 7 stages and the only real gaps appear in the final 5km, Unipublic would love that.
Old 01-05-13, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsem94 View Post
50KM Skiathlon? Really?
Why not?
Would be better as 30km in my opinion.
Old 01-05-13, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarianrider View Post
Things i would suggest

- Sprints have to be of 1.5 km and should include some difficulty. No totally flat city sprints!
- Especially Woman distances in general have to increase
- Mass starts should only be used on 30km or longer (or 20km or something for women)
- Tracks should be of a decent difficulty, especially during mass start races.
- Individual starts should not be totally ditched. At least a few times a season there should be individual starts on longer distances. That's simply what makes cross country skiing. Don't forget your history!
- If you make an event like the Tour de Ski it has to live up to the hype. This year's route is pathetic, especially the one for the women.

For world championchips(Olympic games i would suggest the following patterns.

15km individual start (free or classic)
30km individual start (free or classic)
50km skiathlon mass start
4 x 10km rleay (free, classic, free, classic)
1,5km Sprint (free or classic)
Team Sprint ( one classic, one free)

Women accordingly
Distance races 10km, 20km and 30km

Men
no no no no NO!

Mass starts should only be for races up tom 10 km, because then it's not long enough to get thurn in to a big borefest. The last world champs and olympics has been sad moments for nordic skiing and I'm close to stop watching skiing if something does not change back to how it used to be. Skiing is a fight between real athletes, not a 49 km stare-out followed by a sprint-
Old 01-05-13, 11:46

Well, we got what we hoped for in that real skiers like Steira and Johaug can make a difference today. Still feel the stage should be longer, but still. Kowalczyk still able to utterly destroy the field. Johaug runs out of wax and energy at the end and Kowalczyk picks up maximum bonuses (which there are way too many of) to Johaug's none on the line, while Kalla has a jour sans, seemingly thanks to the ski prep, yet again.

Forever tête de la course.

Last edited by Libertine Seguros; 01-05-13 at 12:13.