2013 Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread - Page 16 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-05-13, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoerpi View Post
no no no no NO!

Mass starts should only be for races up tom 10 km, because then it's not long enough to get thurn in to a big borefest. The last world champs and olympics has been sad moments for nordic skiing and I'm close to stop watching skiing if something does not change back to how it used to be. Skiing is a fight between real athletes, not a 49 km stare-out followed by a sprint-
That's why i sad routes have to be realy hard!! Of cours ei don't want to see those borefests, you are right. Oslo 50km was horrible for example.
That's why i would make the 50km the skiathlon, though. At least clasic specialsts would maybe do something and fire up the race.
Old 01-05-13, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarianrider View Post
That's why i sad routes have to be realy hard!! Of cours ei don't want to see those borefests, you are right. Oslo 50km was horrible for example.
That's why i would make the 50km the skiathlon, though. At least clasic specialsts would maybe do something and fire up the race.
Yet the Oslo 50k contains 1998m of climbing, so not exactly an easy route. Actually among the hardest, I reckon.

Hope they pop Northug. Didnt look too good. And man, Bauer and classic skiing, such an eyecandy.

The Russians are driving it, Petter almost through the door. Bad day? Too bad this isn't a TT.

Or bad skis? Maybe excessive grip, as he can seemingly run up the climbs but not glide.

Last edited by meat puppet; 01-05-13 at 13:08.
Old 01-05-13, 13:07

Northug cracked
Old 01-05-13, 13:11

That run in in Val die Fiemme is awfull. Should have designed that a bit differently. A little artifical hill or something.
Old 01-05-13, 13:13

Also cheers to the fact that there were moments it looked as though they were racing and not just watching each other.

Will be interesting to hear the interviews. Quite surprised about Cologna being off the pace. Hellner did quite well, but I bet there is no way he can podium. Actually not a snowball's chance in hell.

Last edited by meat puppet; 01-05-13 at 13:17.
Old 01-05-13, 13:16

Lekhov clearly blocked Angerer. He will get sanctioned, i guess.
Old 01-05-13, 13:31

Will be interesting to see what Poltoranin will bring to the table tomorrow up the final climb, he's been absolutely brilliant these two days. Otherwise, this looks like a set up for Legkov.

Also will be interesting to see if Johaug can do something miraculous tomorrow, probably not, but one can dream. It was a shame she lost so much today.
Old 01-05-13, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarianrider View Post
Lekhov clearly blocked Angerer. He will get sanctioned, i guess.
Question is what sanction.

He blocked angerer and it looks like he used skating moves. Also there is a question of the right of way in the final meters.I'm not up to date on the rules. The Germans are usully not shy of complaining, so time will show.

The least he should get is a yellow card.

The big sin is breaking the style rules and skating IMHO. Then again it doesn't look like it gained him that much. Had this been a single race I think he could risk disqualification. With the tour and he being among the top contenders, I don't think such a severe punishment is likely.
Old 01-05-13, 13:45

A yellow card and a nominal (slap on the wrist) time penalty, 15 sec or so would be fine. DQing would be over the top imo.

And as I write this, Gössner drops all 5. Gee.
Old 01-05-13, 13:55

Mäkäräinen and Domracheva both lose it on the shooting range today also.