2013 Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread - Page 17 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-05-13, 14:07

As for the races.

The womens race looked as expected. Not the best skiis for the Norwegians, but not the worst either. Impressive race by Wiken, and I'm happy to see Haag is beginning to find her form. Johaug and Weng have not been sparkling as I had hoped this tour. They were following the Marit pre tour program, and that might not be what's best for them. Steira has been following a different program, and seems to have found a good shape.

Hmm, things to think about later I guess.

Tomorrow I don't see anyone threatening Justyna unless her technique up the hill is even worse than her skating technique looks this year.

One interesting among the many interesting things to watch is the Johaug vs Steira climb. I see Steira catching Johaug on the flat before the climb. With Johaug not sparkling, while Steira looks to be in great shape, that looks like an open competition.

For the mens races I'm a sad Panda.

The Norwegian skiis seemed not too bad. But Northug seemed totally out of it regarding glide. It could be he was so tired today that he couldn't even double poll to gain the usual speed. I'm thinking a combination of Northug having a real bad day, the Norwegian waxers not being in top shape, and Northug totally blundering when he chose the skis.

Tomorrow anything can happen in theory, but I see a Legkov vs Cologna duel. And we might finally see how fast Dario is up the final climb.

I go to cry now. Norway still not managing to win the Tour de ski is.....
Old 01-05-13, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat puppet View Post
A yellow card and a nominal (slap on the wrist) time penalty, 15 sec or so would be fine. DQing would be over the top imo.

And as I write this, Gössner drops all 5. Gee.
She dropped all 5 in prone in the relay too. She did miss 2 in standing to return the universe to normalcy, however, and although her times on the first two laps seemed bionic she only took 7 seconds out of Berger on lap 3.

Domracheva may well be back to something approaching top skiing form though - with 4 penalties she's ahead of Skardino with none, and Semerenko with 2.

Then again, take 2 penalty loops off that time and it's still some way of Gößner's time, and Gößner, though better than she used to be, isn't exactly fast in the range.

Forever tête de la course.
Old 01-05-13, 14:09

30 sec time penalty for Legkov for not chosing a lane on the final according to norwegian NRK rolling text.
Old 01-05-13, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
She dropped all 5 in prone in the relay too. She did miss 2 in standing to return the universe to normalcy, however, and although her times on the first two laps seemed bionic she only took 7 seconds out of Berger on lap 3.

Domracheva may well be back to something approaching top skiing form though - with 4 penalties she's ahead of Skardino with none, and Semerenko with 2.

Then again, take 2 penalty loops off that time and it's still some way of Gößner's time, and Gößner, though better than she used to be, isn't exactly fast in the range.
Range time

1. Mali 1.35.0

5. Gößner +3.9

45. Domracheva +28.2

Course time

1. Gößner 18.43.4
2. Domracheva +4.1
Old 01-05-13, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToreBear View Post
30 sec time penalty for Legkov for not chosing a lane on the final according to norwegian NRK rolling text.
SVT says 15 seconds.
Old 01-05-13, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler'sTwin View Post
SVT says 15 seconds.
Yep, Initial sanction was 30sec. After a Russian apeal it is down to 15 seconds.

About Gøssner, I'm thinking Rheinmetall have minutuarised a guidance system enough for the .22 round.
Old 01-05-13, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler'sTwin View Post
Range time

1. Mali 1.35.0

5. Gößner +3.9

45. Domracheva +28.2

Course time

1. Gößner 18.43.4
2. Domracheva +4.1
Impressed. She had improved range time, especially in prone, and that has been obvious, but I didn't think she'd have got that fast, but then again TV coverage didn't show her standing shoot as it was looking at Berger setting the time out of the range (before Miri did her penalty loops obviously) so I just guessed based on history; her typical range time is still not among the best - average range time 2012 season up until the relay was 56,1 to Domracheva's 54,9, so even on a good day I didn't think she'd take that much time out of Darya on the range.

Forever tête de la course.
Old 01-05-13, 14:49

Darya has also been shooting faster this season (about 3s), but she took forever adjusting her aim in the prone today.

I'm glad Legkov only lost 15s. Hopefully it wont affect the outcome of the Tour.
Old 01-05-13, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsem94 View Post
Will be interesting to see what Poltoranin will bring to the table tomorrow up the final climb, he's been absolutely brilliant these two days. Otherwise, this looks like a set up for Legkov.

Also will be interesting to see if Johaug can do something miraculous tomorrow, probably not, but one can dream. It was a shame she lost so much today.
A bit disappointed that Poltarinin didn't try something earlier today. Considering how bad all the favourites looked, with the exception of Legkov, they definitely could've put a lot of time on them if they had started attacking earlier.

Too bad this stage has been shortened to 15, now even Valjas, a pure sprinter, can be second on this course...
Old 01-05-13, 15:15

Shame that Lähteenmäki was sick during the earlier days of Tour. She could have definitely competed for a place at the podium if she would have been fit. Kyllönen is having a really good breaktrough season. Too bad that her skis weren't too good today.