Vuelta 2013 route - Page 25 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-05-13, 21:34

Ok, I don't want any polemic. I just made a point. You can not know what it is in their heads. Alps are there, Dolomites and Apennines are there, Pyrenees are there, all those mountains from Basque Country, Andalucia are there every year, with perfect roads, they just don't want to use them, so we can hope for more and more. Right?
Old 01-05-13, 21:37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
You can not know what it is in their heads.
But we know it. They told us countless times. This is exactly the problem.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 01-05-13, 21:38

I was ironic.
Old 01-05-13, 21:43
Administrator

Quote:
I was ironic.
then I don't actually see your point. You said that maybe they don't make multiple climbs stages because the roads have to be in perfect condition and all that. Whether it is true or not (and btw, how good was the road of the Bola?), we know, by their own words, that the reason is that they don't want to. So it's useless to go looking for possible excuses. It's their choice.

Old 01-05-13, 21:55

Quote:
I didn't checked, that's why I asked. But you know, a road, especially a mountain one has to be in perfect condition, not just asphalted. They resurfaced the last part of Galibier in 2011 for example, even it was in perfect shape 11 months before. Snow tend to broke them. Maybe some mayors just don't want to make a commitment. It was an article on cyclingnews this October, with ASO checking the road around Serre Pocon. You think the roads are bad in France? They must be perfect. Imagine a dh at 100 km/h. But I said a few posts before, I don't now how the roads are in Spain. Winters are not winters, anyway.
Winters can be proper winters in Spain, you know. There's a reason why they ride to Estación de Esquí El Morredero, Estación de Esquí Cerler, Estación de Esquí Fuentes de Invierno, Estación de Esquí Port-Ainé, Estación de Esquí La Covatilla, Estación de Esquí Valdezcaray and that's not including the Andorra ones like Arcalis and Pal. At altitude you're going to get snow and ice and other road-damaging things. And the Basque country had a series of snowstorms last year.

But look at the roads on Bola del Mundo, on Cuitu Negru, even on well-known climbs like Anglirú - the desire for spectacle (or the spectacle as Unipublic desire it) overrides the need for good quality tarmac. This isn't the Tour of California (much to Bavarianrider's disappointment - the tarmac quality in the Vuelta is a major sticking point in his enjoyment of the race). They aren't going over gravel like the Giro does from time to time yet (so no Trobaniello between Cobertoria and San Lorenzo, for example), and there has to be enough room at the summit for a finish (even so, with no car park to speak of and little in the way of infrastructure there, the Setmana Catalana put a finish on the Coll de Pal - not the one in Andorra - and I would have expected this to appeal to the Vuelta).

Forever tête de la course.
Old 01-05-13, 22:25

I live in Asturias (the land of Angliru) (Spain) and I have seen that trobaniello is a very difficult climb for cyclists and this climb will not be included in the race ever, because this is a climb without asphalt and the Vuelta race director does not go up without asphalt around.

Sorry for my bad English !
Old 01-05-13, 22:33

One more thing I would like to say, you want a stage which ends in the Cobertoria . The race will take long time to finish there, but there is a climb that is close to where it is known that there are more possibilities and is called the Gamoniteiru, a very tough climb

Again , sorry for my bad English !
Old 01-05-13, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmfbs View Post
Don´t worry the stage is from Avilés to Angliru , the last stage, riders will de very tired, and they don´t have to think, just repeating the stage of 2011,

The same stage will not be repeated, no Cabruñana and Tenebredo . Perhaps the cyclists could climb the Cobertoria and the Cordal before the Angliru
Old 01-05-13, 22:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcta View Post
I live in Asturias (the land of Angliru) (Spain) and I have seen that trobaniello is a very difficult climb for cyclists and this climb will not be included in the race ever, because this is a climb without asphalt and the Vuelta race director does not go up without asphalt around.

Sorry for my bad English !
yes we know that Trobaniello has no tarmac and we already mentioned that Unipublic would rather die than use it, ours was just a dream.

btw no need to apologize for your English. This forum is full of people from all around the world and English isn't the first language of most of them (me included).

Old 01-05-13, 23:00

According to a local newspaper , The Naranco stage will be soft and the stage go along the coast. If the cyclists climb a mountain pass which is called the Violeo, it will be a success because the pass is short, hard (20% in some areas) and narrow. The descent is complicated and has many tricky corners. The Violeo is close to the Naranco .
It is an option and if the Vuelta does that would be great.