Cricket- the sport not the insect - Page 136 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-06-13, 05:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by the asian View Post
So, It's a 3-Nil whitewash.

We can look forward to play Zim and Bangladesh. we should blood some youngsters. Pretty sure Dilshan and Samaraweera have played their last tests

Meanwhile hoping the Aussies can emulate the English and beat the Indians.
A 4-0 whitewash would be nice
Samaraweera's got to go, he just doesn't care anymore. He should get some of his match fee docked or some other form of discipline, he let down the team in some fashion.

Also, based on how insipid we've been against a test team as poor as Sri Lanka (sorry), I'm not so sure we'll walkover India. 3-0 is a scoreline that doesn't reflect the truth, we were sub-par in Hobart and frankly dreadful here in Sydney, if it weren't for a few moments of madness from the Sri Lankan batsmen we'd have lost this by about 300 runs. Theoretical possibilities aside, we should not be getting pushed to day 5 and late day 4 by a team like Sri Lanka, especially when we are the hosts. If Herath can take 12 wickets at a very good average (considering it is Australia, after all), with virtually no support from the rest of the attack, I shudder to think what Ojha could do. He might not be as good as Herath but he'll have turning tracks and a team that won't be as reliant on him, and won't let him down that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Mr Cricket is a massive loss for the Australians going into the Ashes. Will make regaining the Ashes even harder to regain.
Indeed. Hussey

I suppose we could make do with his brother in England, but really, we're not in with much of a chance of victory there. Best to play for a drawn series and then give it a proper go at home.

Last edited by Alphabet; 01-06-13 at 05:45.
Old 01-06-13, 10:38

How do you play for draws when bowling is your strong suit? I'm looking forward to watching Warner & Watson try to bed down for a long slow knock.
Old 01-06-13, 11:03

Watson, hopefully, won't get in the team. Warner has a patient side that can do well on green tops, as his century on a golf-green Hobart pitch in 2011 can show. Clarke and Cowan can certainly score Hanif Mohammad style 600 ball centuries if they're bothered.

Also I said playing for a drawn series, rather than a draw. A 1-1 or 2-2 series would be great.
Old 01-06-13, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post
How do you play for draws when bowling is your strong suit? I'm looking forward to watching Warner & Watson try to bed down for a long slow knock.
They both can when they concentrate but Watson's problem is the injuries. He will be in the team but if he lasts is another thing.
Old 01-08-13, 15:26

Great showing by England, lost against Delhi with a pretty good team. Zero wickets from Finn. The absense of Swann and Anderson will probably have a big impact on the outcome of the ODI series.
Old 01-11-13, 15:03

The alarm bells have to start ringing in the BCCI now. India are imploding. This winter, they've lost 3 T20 series, 1 ODI series and 1 Test series, all at home (barring one away T20 match in Sri Lanka).

In fact, since the World Cup, their record in terms of series stands like this:

Tests: Played 6, Won 3 (against N.Z. and W.I.), Lost 3
ODI: Played 9, Won 4 (against W.I, England and S.L.), Lost 5
T20: Played 8, Won 2 (S.L., W.I.), Drawn 3, Lost 3

That's an awful record, considering virtually all their wins have come against N.Z., W.I. and S.L., aside from thumping England in the ODI series in 2011, they've done nothing of note in a series against legitimately world class opposition. The BCCI need to put the IPL aside and act now to save India's international team before they do irreparable damage.
Old 01-11-13, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoerpi View Post
Great showing by England, lost against Delhi with a pretty good team. Zero wickets from Finn. The absense of Swann and Anderson will probably have a big impact on the outcome of the ODI series.
Yep, struggled badly today - big lesson not to take it too easy in the warm up games in future.

Another plodding innings from Cook today too. Strike rate still higher than Clarke in ODIs though.
Old 01-11-13, 17:48

Maybe they'll let Zimbabwe tour India... First i thought that IPL would've have an impact on the tests but it's nothing that suggests that. They lose in all formats as your statistics show. It's pretty funny that they lost against ****stan and while paks are not welcome in IPL, really childish to not let some of the best players in.

My beloved NZ played today, Southee might be missed more than I thought, he's more dangerous than Bracewell who still is a great bowler. A better spinner than Patel is needed though.
Old 01-13-13, 13:51

Great performance from Sri Lanka today, we shouldn't be taking them lightly at all. They're not Zimbabwe. We should bring back Clarke and Hussey for the 3rd ODI, and possibly one of the premier bowlers as well instead of timewasters like Smith. Possibly Hilfenhaus or Starc.

The future of Sri Lankan cricket doesn't look so bleak, after all. In Thirimanne and Chandimal, and possibly even Mathews, they have 3 batsmen that have a lot of potential and are already performing quite well at such young ages. The bowling though leaves much to be desired in terms of youth development. Pradeep etc. while loveable cult figures, don't look like being good cricketers.
Old 01-14-13, 06:05

Thirimanna can finish a match, and he showed it on Sunday.

Hopefully he keeps performing.

We'll always be competitive in the shorter formats.