U.S. Politics - Page 611 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-04-13, 19:44

Yeah, I'm just waiting to rake in the big bucks when a 9.0 hits the San Andreas.

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
Old 01-04-13, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewbaccaD View Post
You aren't accounting for the crash of the .com wealth at the end of the Clinton presidency, nor the rise in GDP during Bush's tenure. Nor are you taking into account the boom in one sector of the economy that also blew up at the end of Bush's presidency. Based on your logic, why is there not a continued rise in tax revenue during the end of Bush's presidency and during Obama's? Because the tax rates have not risen on those people of whom you speak. There is either an explanation for the rise in revenue during this 9/11 period that somehow didn't work out the same after the burst of the real estate bubble, or there is a hole in your theory. Because Obama kept the same tax rates, but the economy didn't benefit in the past few years from a major explosion in any sector like happened in the real estate sector during and after the 9/11 era you speak of.
Quote:
Based on your logic, why is there not a continued rise in tax revenue during the end of Bush's presidency and during Obama's? Because the tax rates have not risen on those people of whom you speak.
There has been anemic economic recovery since the recession ended in 2009. That's on Obama. He inherited a mess but his policies have not generated much of a recovery. You can predominately blame Obamacare for that. Like the idea of govt run or universal care or not... it was a horrible time economically to create that much uncertainty in the private sector. It led to this;

Just as the red line is making it's way in the right direction this Prez's pet projects will start biting pretty hard. Income taxes, payroll taxes, dividend/cap gains and the multitudes of Obamacare taxes are all hitting at the same time.

Expect that red line to flatten out significantly in the coming months.

Quote:
or there is a hole in your theory
I don't think so. The reality is the Bush Tax plan delivered about 25% more revenue than the Clinton plan when comparing consecutive 8 year terms and their respective tax plans. Consider too, that real GDP growth (8 year average) was about 1.5% higher under Clinton than it was under Bush.

Yes, Bush had a larger economy, but that in and of itself does not explain 25% higher total income tax revenue.
Old 01-05-13, 12:26

Send a message via MSN to ingsve Send a message via Skype™ to ingsve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
This sh!t really, really irritates me. Remember, we are the shining beacon of modern democracy. We also are the first to comment on 'unfair' elections in other parts. I knew this was bad, but I didn't realize just how shocking it really is.

(my bold)

Thanks To Gerrymandering, Democrats Would Need To Win The Popular Vote By Over 7 Percent To Take Back The House

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ack-the-house/
Gerrymandering is a huge problem which is practically impossible to solve without a change in the overall voting system. Gerrymandering is an inevitable consequence of first past the post voting so as long as that system isn't changed in some way the problem with continue.

A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it - Max Planck
Old 01-06-13, 15:16

http://www.examiner.com/article/mom-...e-her-children

Glad this made it to the news, so many of these incidents never make the mainstream media of people saving their families from home invasions. Actually in looking on CNN, I could not even find it, guess it doesn't fit their agenda for news. Three people saved in this incident.
Old 01-06-13, 22:09

So now we have medical insurance hikes of 20% in California? The vendetta of private healthcare (normally this is what is meant by an oxymoron, err, em, sorry, I meant business as usual). The usual suspects pay the price.

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-06-13 at 22:30.
Old 01-06-13, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeNphilly View Post

Glad this made it to the news, so many of these incidents never make the mainstream media of people saving their families from home invasions. Actually in looking on CNN, I could not even find it, guess it doesn't fit their agenda for news. Three people saved in this incident.
And guns save another family.

My brother was at a gun show yesterday in SLC. He planned to pick up some ammo for his S&W M&P15 but there was no 5.56 ammo whatsoever. They sold out to people who got there early. AR-15 owners are stocking up. Funny thing is that I know four people who have bought AR-15s in the last month. One of them, super mild mannered guy, bought four of them. Obama, gun salesman of the decade.
Old 01-06-13, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
There has been anemic economic recovery since the recession ended in 2009. That's on Obama. He inherited a mess but his policies have not generated much of a recovery. You can predominately blame Obamacare for that.
We can? Most of Obamacare has not taken effect yet.

The thing I wonder about is while Republicans decry Obama for accomplishing nothing, his policies are still blamed for causing everything the Repugs don't like. You cannot have it both ways.
Old 01-07-13, 00:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
We can? Most of Obamacare has not taken effect yet.

The thing I wonder about is while Republicans decry Obama for accomplishing nothing, his policies are still blamed for causing everything the Repugs don't like. You cannot have it both ways.
Business still doesn't know what to make or what the cost of Obamacare. The Feds don't know either. But here's what we do know:

Health premiums are escalating pretty fast. Why? Obamacare mandates and cost of care is just getting prohibitively expensive.

Coverage for pre existing conditions? Sure. Do we get it for free? Nope.

Actuaries have no idea what to charge via additional risk. You think the medical device tax is going to be absorbed by those companies? Think again.

We all get to pay for our free healthcare.

Last edited by Scott SoCal; 01-07-13 at 00:30.
Old 01-07-13, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
So now we have medical insurance hikes of 20% in California? The vendetta of private healthcare (normally this is what is meant by an oxymoron, err, em, sorry, I meant business as usual). The usual suspects pay the price.
Why a vendetta?

If insurers have to cover everybody, no matter how unhealthy, what do you suppose that adds to the cost? Medical device manufacturers get slapped with a gross revenue tax of 2.3%.... Who pays for that?

We do. God Bless the govt halfwits.
Old 01-07-13, 01:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeNphilly View Post

Glad this made it to the news, so many of these incidents never make the mainstream media
Mostly because, as discussed on this thread before, most of these “incidents” involve arguments between people who know each other, not encounters with strangers.

Quote:
of people saving their families from home invasions.
Saved from what? I didn’t read anything in that article that said the BURGLAR was armed. Why do you suppose a burglar would knock on the door? To announce to everyone he was about to come in and try to steal stuff? Obviously, he was trying to find out if anyone was home. If the mom had just answered, it is overwhelmingly likely he would have gone away. A guy who wants to steal stuff generally does not want to harm anyone if he can possibly help it.

What was saved was valuables. I understand the mother was protective of the kids, but was it really necessary to shoot the guy? If she wasn't smart enough to tell him she had a gun and to go away while he was still outside the house knocking, couldn’t she just have told him once he was inside that she would shoot unless he got out of the house?

This is the kind of frontier mentality that got a Japanese visitor to the U.S. shot to death some time ago when he had the temerity to step on someone's front lawn. I am far more fearful of paranoid idiots like this than I am of some criminal trying to shoot me. Individually they are not as dangerous as a hard-core criminal, but there are so very many more of them. I have never in my life encountered someone intent on killing me with a gun. I have many times encountered nominally law-abiding people who might use a gun because they are not bright enough to figure out there is an easier way to resolve a situation. And every time an article like this is published, falsely implying that the only option the woman had was to let the guy break into her house and then shoot him, it convinces more idiots that there are thousands of people roaming the street outside their homes, ready at any moment to break into their homes and kill them. It's lies like this that sell guns.

Quote:
Actually in looking on CNN, I could not even find it, guess it doesn't fit their agenda for news. One person seriously wounded in an incident that never had to happen.
Fixed.

Quote:
Health premiums are escalating pretty fast. Why?
Because the miracles of modern medicine are expensive, and people want them. Because people eat sh!t and don’t exercise, and then wonder why their bodies fall apart. Believe me, the Republicans don’t have any solutions to these problems, either.

I see you’re still at this notion that lowering taxes increases revenue. You still haven’t figured out that when incomes of the rich go up, the top 1% go into a higher bracket. That is why they are taxed more, not because taxes go up on a percentile basis. Have no idea why this is so difficult for some people to understand.

Last edited by Merckx index; 01-07-13 at 01:32.