For the "pedaling technique doesn't matter crowd" - Page 85 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #841  
Old 01-06-13, 18:03
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
I have perfected four techniques and can use all four inside a minute, there is no eventually going back to another style, the brain has the objectives of each technique and any of them can be turned on instantly. If I was to train my circular style exclusively with PC's for 9 months, I am certain my mashing would still give me greater explosive acceleration power, regardless of what training I did to improve my circular pedalling because it's all about the downstroke and how the power is applied there. Do PC's improve downstroke power.
Ha ha, perfected 4 techniques but has no data whatsoever to show this. What vivid imaginations you and Frank have.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #842  
Old 01-06-13, 18:09
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Ha ha, perfected 4 techniques but has no data whatsoever to show this. What vivid imaginations you and Frank have.
Yes four, circular, semi circular, mashing and mashing plus unweighting.
  #843  
Old 01-06-13, 18:14
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
Yes four, circular, semi circular, mashing and mashing plus unweighting.
And all from your own imagination. If you were a 5 year old I would be very impressed with that.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #844  
Old 01-06-13, 18:23
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
And all from your own imagination. If you were a 5 year old I would be very impressed with that.
How many techniques does your brain have available for use. Why do so many road racers hate TT's? Because they have only one technique which is expected to cope with completely different requirements.
  #845  
Old 01-06-13, 18:29
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
How many techniques does your brain have available for use. Why do so many road racers hate TT's? Because they have only one technique which is expected to cope with completely different requirements.
Don't bore us with assumptions. Present data showing that Roadies preference for bunch racing over time trials is due to a presumed lack of pedalling options.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #846  
Old 01-06-13, 20:16
FrankDay FrankDay is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N. California
Posts: 2,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
I have perfected four techniques and can use all four inside a minute, there is no eventually going back to another style, the brain has the objectives of each technique and any of them can be turned on instantly. If I was to train my circular style exclusively with PC's for 9 months, I am certain my mashing would still give me greater explosive acceleration power, regardless of what training I did to improve my circular pedalling because it's all about the downstroke and how the power is applied there. Do PC's improve downstroke power.
Fergie and I agree on one thing, it would be nice to see some evidence that you can do what you say you do. Regardless, it doesn't make much difference what you can do what you are thinking about it as most people do not spend much time while on the bicycle thinking about pedaling technique. So, what is important is what one does when they are not thinking about it.

While it may be true that one could get "greater explosive power" by returning to a mashing style I think most PowerCranks trained riders would say that they see the best improvement in "explosive power" by concentrating on increasing the upstroke part of the stroke. None of this has yet to be demonstrated though so we are all debating "impressions".
__________________
Life is short, both reading my posts and training with PowerCranks will make it seem longer
  #847  
Old 01-06-13, 20:54
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
While it may be true that one could get "greater explosive power" by returning to a mashing style I think most PowerCranks trained riders would say that they see the best improvement in "explosive power" by concentrating on increasing the upstroke part of the stroke. None of this has yet to be demonstrated though so we are all debating "impressions".
Wow what vivid imaginations you both have.

Broker in High-Tech Cycling reported data from different groups of cyclists who found that force effectiveness was negatively correlated with power and gave the example of sprint cyclists who produce the greatest amounts of power through the smallest amount of the downstroke.

Only time a sprinter will concentrate on the upstroke is for the first 2-3 pedal strokes from an out of saddle start or acceleration.

But even for the most explosive of riders beyond the first 50-80 metres of their race it's bioenergetics that wins races.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #848  
Old 01-06-13, 21:05
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
[B


Regardless, it doesn't make much difference what you can do what you are thinking about it as most people do not spend much time while on the bicycle thinking about pedaling technique.


That does explain why there is so much imbalance in the power output from the legs of a cyclist.
  #849  
Old 01-06-13, 21:07
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
That does explain why there is so much imbalance in the power output from the legs of a cyclist.
How do you know this when you have never collected any data to show it?
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #850  
Old 01-06-13, 21:13
FrankDay FrankDay is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N. California
Posts: 2,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
That does explain why there is so much imbalance in the power output from the legs of a cyclist.
No it doesn't
__________________
Life is short, both reading my posts and training with PowerCranks will make it seem longer
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.