The 2013 CQ Ranking Manager Game - Page 49 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Games and Fantasy Cycling

Games and Fantasy Cycling Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Old 01-07-13, 09:04

Update

On the download page, http://cqmanager.net/download/, I've now updated the file (the one named "CQ Rankings 2013 Teams"), with all the small errors fixed. Hopefully I've caught all of them but if not, please PM me. This also includes minor flaws like names not typed in capital etc.

There's still one issue with one team (thanks for making me aware of it, Armchair) but I'm confident that it'll be solved soon.

The update also means that we actually managed to beat last years record of 130 entrants, as we're 131 competitors this year!

On a sidenote, the first race of the season, the Copa America de Ciclismo, didn't produce any points for any team, so the Australian national time trialing championship in two days should start the season.

Last edited by Hugo Koblet; 01-07-13 at 09:18.
Old 01-07-13, 09:09

To all our newcommers, here's how the spreadsheet works:

When you download and open the spreadsheet, the first thing you'll see is a sheet named "Rankings". This is the main screen. Here you see a list of all the teams and their score.

In column A you have "Rank". This is pretty self explanatory as it simply states what place each team currently is in.

In column B you have "Teams". Once again pretty self explanatory. You'll notice if you drag your mouse over a name on the list, that each name has a "link". If you press a team name, you'll be taken to that teams sheet where you can see which riders this specific team has.

In column C you have "Points". This is the amount of points the team has earned this season.

In column D you have "Profit" which is simply "Points" minus the value of the team (so if a team has earned 10.000 points and had a value of 7500 when sent in, "Profit" will say 2500. You'll also notice that the number appearing is either colored red or green which is simple an aesthetic little feature I've added so it's easy to quickly spot who's in the positives and who's in the negatives - I've done this for column E, F and I as well.

In column E you have "Return" which shows how many points the team has earned in percentages relating to the value of the team.

In column F you have "Points this week" which, unsurprisingly, shows how many points the team has earned since last update.

Column G and H are hidden as they just show some back ground statistics.

In column I you have "Up/down". This column shows how each team has moved since last update. If you're team for instance was 14th last update and 10th now, the column will show "4" because you've moved up four places.

In column J you have "Rank this week". This is basically just an elaboration of "Points this week" as this shows how you've been doing this week compared to the other teams. If you team has earned the 20th most points this week it'll show "20" in the column.

The spreadsheet is by default sorted by "Rank" so that the top team is the one that is actually ahead of the competition. However, if you want to sort by "Rank this week", "Up/down" or something else, you can click on the small arrow at the top of each colomn and chose "sort by".

The rest of the sheets are simply every team's individual sheet. They are sorted alphabetically so it's easy to find your team but remember that you can simply click your team name in column B and you'll be taken to your sheet.
Once you're at a team sheet, you can click on the name of the team in box "A1" and you'll be taken back to the "Rankings" sheet.

The last three sheets, "2011 Results", "2012 Results" and "Last week" you don't have to worry about. They simply include all the numbers the spreadsheet needs ("2011 Results" actually covers the results from 2013, I just couldn't be bothered to change the name as I would then have to make corrections to the codes as well).

That should cover it.
Old 01-07-13, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Koblet View Post
Housoe:
Who is this mysterious Housoe? One thing’s for sure, he or she has got a very strong team. There’s no Matthews, no Kennaugh and no Dombrowski but other popular picks like Pinot, Breschel, Vanmarcke, Gadret and Roux. Housoe only has one really expensive rider and puts his faith in Farrar, Guardini, Langeveld, Meyer, Majka and Rujano while hoping riders like Felline and Kruijswijk have good season.
Yes i am new here at the forum. Discovered the forum section of this site in may, and been looking a around from time to time since. Now i thought it was time to join, with my thesis done before christmass and the cq game starting.

Honoured to be mentioned among the favorites, was in a lot of doubt about the team. Probably made a lot of bad decisions in the last cut from aroun 50 guys to the final team. The guy who almost made the team was Esteban Chaves, Peter Kennaugh, Enrico Bartaglin, Bernard Eisel, Bob Jungels, Michael Mathews, Leigh Howard, David Apollonio, Ben Hermans, matteo cattaneo, Joe Dombrowski and Nick Nuyens. Sure they will all score a lot of point and i will really regret leaving some of them out.

Actually just realised Kennaugh was left out when i read this post, don't know how and when that happened.

But Looking forward for the season to start, and to discuss the cqgame and all of the cycling season with you guys.
Old 01-07-13, 10:17

Ignatas Konovolavos is my most unique pick, with only two other teams picking him.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 01-07-13, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair cyclist View Post
Greatest optimist award:
to Phoenix118, who reckons that Tom Boonen can improve considerably on his price of 2202 points (and who also one of two entrants to have bought Contador at 2272)
Sometimes you just pick who you like. Even if they don't improve and have similar production, its a great base for points.

x
Old 01-07-13, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

Anthony Roux - what got me was that he had a pretty full season this year and still scored only 80 points. And his other results were wildly inconsistent. Consistency is a theme I guess.
The thing about Roux was the fact that I found out he had problems with his sciatic nerve all season and he just recently in the off season has had an operation on it. So seeing how he is young, reasonably talented and was hindered by an injury last season I saw him as a certain pick.
Old 01-07-13, 10:48

Didn't know about that, I omitted him because I thought FDJ would always be working for Bouhanni, Demare, Pinot or even Roy. In fact now Offredo returns as well. Not the style of rider I'm attracted to anyway.
Old 01-07-13, 11:00

Top 10 game changers

This is a list of the 10 potentially most influential picks. They are of course my personal opinion and their potential influence is based on cost, risk, potential return and number of teams that have picked the rider. I’ve also looked a little bit at who has picked the riders, because after all a team with a strong history in the game is likely to have made some good decisions again. The “number” factor is a little complex because a rider picked by too many teams doesn’t have that much influence on the game (think Schleck or Gilbert) while a unique pick won’t have much influence either.

1. Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil. Cost: 366. Popularity: 68
Rojas is in my opinion one of the better picks in the game (yet I still didn’t include him in my team, facepalm Ryo style). I think he’s very likely to double his score and if he does more than that, it can be very hard for the teams without him to catch up. With 68 picks he’s dividing the game in two almost exactly equal parts and is bound to have a lot of influence.
8 of 10 of the teams in last year’s top 10 have Rojas in their team, which indicates that Rojas could be a must have by the end of the season.

2. Joseph Lloyd Dombrowski. Cost: 194. Popularity: 74
The young American can easily be this year’s most important pick. Even though he’s not such a big gamble at 194 points, with 74 picks he’s roughly dividing the game in two equally big parts and if he lives up to his potential and scores a lot of points he can make sure that’s it’s very hard for the teams without him to compete for the win.
9 of 10 of last year’s top 10 have Dombrowski in their team, which shows how much faith there is in Dombrowski.

3. Matti Breschel. Cost: 329. Popularity: 54
Last year Matti was one of the most popular picks at only 98 points. Because of that and because he “only” scored 329 points, he didn’t influence the game that much. This year he’s back together with Riis, where he for three consecutive years scored more than 800 points. If he manages to find his old form again, he will have a lot of influence on the game.
5 of 10 of last year’s top 10 have Breschel in their team.

4. Michael Matthews. Cost: 359. Popularity: 49
Matthews is in my opinion almost identical to Breschel. He definitely has the potential to score big and quite a lot of teams have picked him and on top of that a lot of last year’s top 10 teams have faith in Matthews: 9 of 10 of last year’s top 10 have him in their team, indicating that he could be an important pick in the end.

5. Juan Jose Cobo Acebo. Cost: 96. Popularity: 80
The CQ game legend of all legends. Cobo is cheap so he’s not much of a risk. On the other hand it can be risky to leave him out of the team. The possibility of him scoring as many points as 2011 is quite small, but the one thing we know about Cobo is that we don’t know anything. Likely he won’t score that much but there’s always a possibility that he can ten double his score making him a potentially very influential rider.
6 of 10 of last year’s top 10 have Cobo in their team.

6. Rohan Dennis. Cost: 271. Popularity: 38
Personally, I have a lot of faith in Dennis. For me, he’s the neo-pro most likely to score big, which could give any team with Dennis in it a big advantage. His pretty high cost makes him bit of a risk though, and even if he has a season like Durbridge did this year his return isn’t that good. I think he’ll score bigger and hence have a higher influence on the game.
5 of 10 of last year’s top 10 have Dennis in their team.

7. Argiro Alonso Ospina Hernandez. Cost: 0. Popularity: 51
The hype surrounding this guy is enormous. Not many of us know much about him, but Ryo and Jakob747 are building him up as the next big thing from Colombia. As he is free, the risk of including him is only that you take up a spot on your team – but the risk of not picking him is potentially huge. However, the likelihood of him earning game changing points isn’t that big – but I’m sure we’ll all be following him closely whether he’s in our team or not.
5 of 10 of last year’s top 10 have Ospina in their team, further underlining the mystique around this young fellow.

8. Thibaut Pinot. Cost: 442. Popularity: 76
The reason Pinot isn’t higher on this list is because his potential return in percentage seems somewhat limited. You might disagree, but I think there’s very little chance he’ll more than double his points. However, Pinot is still on the list because he just about divides the teams in two equally large camps: Those with Pinot and those without – and because last year’s top 10 seem to have a lot of faith in him: 9 of 10 of last year’s top 10 have Pinot in their team.

9. Cadel Evans. Cost: 843. Popularity: 32
The last 5 years in a row, Evans more than doubled his 2012 score. That usually indicated a great CQ pick, but Evans is getting old and the possibility that he will double his 2012 score this year seems limited. However, if he finds his old form he’s likely to be a very important rider in the game, giving the teams with Evans in it a huge advantage.
5 of 10 of last year’s top 10 have Evans in their team.

10. Fabian Cancellara. Cost: 1031. Popularity: 31
Cancellara is interesting. If he has a very good year he could double his score making him an amazing pick. However, he has never been close to that in a non-Olympics year making the chance quite small. Cancellara is pretty consistent and is likely to score 1400-1600 points making him a decent pick but not a game changer. He will be one of the most interesting riders to follow this year earning him a place on this list.
Only 2 of 10 of last year’s top 10 have Cancellara in their team.

Bonus info: with 8 of these 10 riders in his team, Kvinto is the team from last year’s top 10 that have the most of these riders in his team.

Last edited by Hugo Koblet; 01-07-13 at 11:51.
Old 01-07-13, 11:02

skidmark, thanks for your thoughts on your team, quite insightful and a couple of gems in there in terms of how you approach the game. Rebellin is the one rider who at the moment I regret not considering, having misjudged how much he would cost. Hugo - I really think Rebellin should be on your game changer list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Ignatas Konovolavos is my most unique pick, with only two other teams picking him.
Strongly considered him but with MTN's uncertain race calendar I decided against picking any of their team. It seems like Dim has picked enough of them for all of us anyway
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 01-07-13, 11:10

Looking at my team a couple of risks who I hope can deliver well include Felline, who was very promising this season. He will hopefully have a lot of leadership opportunities for Androni with some of their other big name riders gone. He showed last year he can compete at the highest level and he did so consistently after winning MMP and then coming second at Beghelli. With the Italian calendar being open to him and then also any other races he wants he has a lot of chances to prove his point and he can certainly climb yet his sprint is also powerful with his 2nd to Ventoso (albeit aided by a crash) in the Giro stage being a case in point.

Also Cattaneo who is now joining Lampre. He should have probably joined the pro ranks at the beginning of last season but did not and only joined Lampre in August as a stagaire. He impressed in Avenir for the second year running and has showed he is not just a fluke one time wonder. And of course he won the Giro Bio 2 years ago. I would have probably taken him last year if he had a team but with an extra year under his belt he should do well and his price was very reasonable.

Dombrowski in my eyes was a must pick. What with his climbing performances not only at the Giro bio but also Utah and Flagstaff where for anyone who watched the stage he bossed Tejay Van Garderen around and was the one who was attempting to pull back Leipheimer. But his performance on the Mount Baldy was the defining result. Baldy is as tough as most climbs in Europe and if he could manage that then he will surely be fine come this season. That he performed throughout the year also tells me something about a rider who seems to have reams of talent.

Dennis was expensive, but then again he dedicated most of his season to racing on the track. From the fact that he managed to still perform so well nevertheless tells us something. And he has proved he can mix it with the best as he did in TDU. His 2nd in the U23 TT as well for the 2nd consecutive year was also very heartening. Just look at how guys like Thomas and Kennaugh performed after the track Olympics and compare it to Dennis.

Battaglin was a risk but his talent is undeniable and it is perfectly understandable to assume that he took a year to adapt to the Pro ranks proper and even so this year was dotted with a couple of good performances as I was following as I had him in my team this year as well. His performance in Lugano was particularly impressive.

Other include Meyer who can climb and TT and seems to be developing well. Bole whom I am nervous of as though he got let off by Vaconsoleil I am afraid he may be busted in the Lance fallout. Amador was superb in the Giro and had a very difficult 2011 after being beaten up in late 2010 and then having to ride the Tour with an injured ankle. Stybar has masses of talent and watching him ride up Mont Cassel made certain I had to pick him. Such a rider can not be left out especially as he is doing the classics this year, though he may support Boonen I am hoping he will follow a season similar to Nicki Terpstra's this year.

Kiserlovski I am surprised not more people took as he was extremely promising this year both in races like Paris Nice and the Ardennes. He got unlucky and crashed out of the Tour thanks to the sabotager but racing for RSNT I see him getting much more chances than at Astana, I even see him being one of their primary stage races and considering that Frank Schleck is still in limbo, Andy at the best will race only the Tour and Kloden and Horner seem more toasted than not, he may very well be the new face of RSNT stage racing.

Colbrelli I picked because I believe he can score enough points racing the Italian circuit considering his development to make his a worthwhile pick, though I am not sure yet. Gallopin is a huge talent and he is incredibly versatile. He had some back luck this year so I am hoping with everything going well he can score some big points.