U.S. Politics - Page 612 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-07-13, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
A guy who wants to steal stuff generally does not want to harm anyone if he can possibly help it.
Don't bet your life on it.
Old 01-07-13, 02:02

Quote:
Mostly because, as discussed on this thread before, most of these “incidents” involve arguments between people who know each other, not encounters with strangers.

Saved from what? I didn’t read anything in that article that said the BURGLAR was armed. Why do you suppose a burglar would knock on the door? To announce to everyone he was about to come in and try to steal stuff? Obviously, he was trying to find out if anyone was home. If the mom had just answered, it is overwhelmingly likely he would have gone away. A guy who wants to steal stuff generally does not want to harm anyone if he can possibly help it.

What was saved was valuables. I understand the mother was protective of the kids, but was it really necessary to shoot the guy? If she wasn't smart enough to tell him she had a gun and to go away while he was still outside the house knocking, couldn’t she just have told him once he was inside that she would shoot unless he got out of the house?

This is the kind of frontier mentality that got a Japanese visitor to the U.S. shot to death some time ago when he had the temerity to step on someone's front lawn. I am far more fearful of paranoid idiots like this than I am of some criminal trying to shoot me. Individually they are not as dangerous as a hard-core criminal, but there are so very many more of them. I have never in my life encountered someone intent on killing me with a gun. I have many times encountered nominally law-abiding people who might use a gun because they are not bright enough to figure out there is an easier way to resolve a situation. And every time an article like this is published, falsely implying that the only option the woman had was to let the guy break into her house and then shoot him, it convinces more idiots that there are thousands of people roaming the street outside their homes, ready at any moment to break into their homes and kill them. It's lies like this that sell guns.

Fixed.

Because the miracles of modern medicine are expensive, and people want them. Because people eat sh!t and don’t exercise, and then wonder why their bodies fall apart. Believe me, the Republicans don’t have any solutions to these problems, either.

I see you’re still at this notion that lowering taxes increases revenue. You still haven’t figured out that when incomes of the rich go up, the top 1% go into a higher bracket. That is why they are taxed more, not because taxes go up on a percentile basis. Have no idea why this is so difficult for some people to understand.
boo ****ing hoo, a sorry piece of crap burglar got shot. the only sad thing about this is that he lived. here's the thing: she didn't force him to go into that house. he made that choice and he got what he deserved
Old 01-07-13, 02:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Why a vendetta?

If insurers have to cover everybody, no matter how unhealthy, what do you suppose that adds to the cost? Medical device manufacturers get slapped with a gross revenue tax of 2.3%.... Who pays for that?

We do. God Bless the govt halfwits.
This is bull****, they raise their rates based on any opening that will give them a chance to raise their rates. They don't care if costs actually went up, they just see an opportunity, if "Obamacare" had not been castrated by your people there would have been a set of rules to deal with opportunistic rate increases like these. It is all about keeping the stockholder happy, not providing quality heathcare.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 01-07-13, 04:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
This is bull****, they raise their rates based on any opening that will give them a chance to raise their rates. They don't care if costs actually went up, they just see an opportunity, if "Obamacare" had not been castrated by your people there would have been a set of rules to deal with opportunistic rate increases like these. It is all about keeping the stockholder happy, not providing quality heathcare.
For a businessman you can be pretty dense.

Do you have any concept of the margins health insurers work on? Any at all?

You wouldn't sell a bike or fix a flat for that margin, I can guarantee you that.

When manufacturer X raises their cost on bike Y, what do you do? Eat the increase? And you are in business to create what, exactly?

Maybe we should just nationalize the bicycle business.

Last edited by Scott SoCal; 01-07-13 at 05:04.
Old 01-07-13, 04:15

Quote:
Mostly because, as discussed on this thread before, most of these “incidents” involve arguments between people who know each other, not encounters with strangers.

Saved from what? I didn’t read anything in that article that said the BURGLAR was armed. Why do you suppose a burglar would knock on the door? To announce to everyone he was about to come in and try to steal stuff? Obviously, he was trying to find out if anyone was home. If the mom had just answered, it is overwhelmingly likely he would have gone away. A guy who wants to steal stuff generally does not want to harm anyone if he can possibly help it.

What was saved was valuables. I understand the mother was protective of the kids, but was it really necessary to shoot the guy? If she wasn't smart enough to tell him she had a gun and to go away while he was still outside the house knocking, couldn’t she just have told him once he was inside that she would shoot unless he got out of the house?

This is the kind of frontier mentality that got a Japanese visitor to the U.S. shot to death some time ago when he had the temerity to step on someone's front lawn. I am far more fearful of paranoid idiots like this than I am of some criminal trying to shoot me. Individually they are not as dangerous as a hard-core criminal, but there are so very many more of them. I have never in my life encountered someone intent on killing me with a gun. I have many times encountered nominally law-abiding people who might use a gun because they are not bright enough to figure out there is an easier way to resolve a situation. And every time an article like this is published, falsely implying that the only option the woman had was to let the guy break into her house and then shoot him, it convinces more idiots that there are thousands of people roaming the street outside their homes, ready at any moment to break into their homes and kill them. It's lies like this that sell guns.
This is why no rational person trusts the libs on guns. A man (or woman) cannot even defend their own family against criminals without the lily-livered set cryinging about the fate of the poor burgler who was shot.
Old 01-07-13, 04:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
This is why no rational person trusts the reactionaries on guns. A man (or woman) exposes self and kids to unnecessary danger and is hailed as a hero.
Fixed.

Quote:
Don't bet your life on it.
I wouldn’t. Which is why I would let a stranger knocking on the door know that someone was home.

Quote:
boo ****ing hoo, a sorry piece of crap burglar got shot. the only sad thing about this is that he lived. here's the thing: she didn't force him to go into that house. he made that choice and he got what he deserved.
Right. Death penalty for burglary. Let’s also cut off the hands off shop-lifters, and stone adulterers.

Last edited by Merckx index; 01-07-13 at 04:42.
Old 01-07-13, 05:09

Quote:
Fixed.

I wouldn’t. Which is why I would let a stranger knocking on the door know that someone was home.

Right. Death penalty for burglary. Let’s also cut off the hands off shop-lifters, and stone adulterers.

Horse**** MI.

Somebody breaks into your home and are you going to try and find out what their true motives are?

Specious argument.
Old 01-07-13, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Why a vendetta?

If insurers have to cover everybody, no matter how unhealthy, what do you suppose that adds to the cost? Medical device manufacturers get slapped with a gross revenue tax of 2.3%.... Who pays for that?

We do. God Bless the govt halfwits.
And this is the problem: too much insurance, too much litigation in the private US system. Take these things out and the costs go down. I've gone over this with you before, having a healthcare system that's purely confined to a praxis centered upon a business and market logic, is perverse, anti-progressive and ultimately sinister. That and it's terribly undemocratic. As if speculating on peoples access to medical care, were the same as going to buy a new television set.

Are you saying that the insurers should only cover those they deem worthy of their services, because not "so unhealthy" to be economically disadvantageous? What about the low income folks and small business providers, in regards to absorbing the hit of these appallingly ill-considered and consciously timed rates hike?

Everything that's wrong with this private system and ideology behind it has been made glaringly clear with the insurance companies' move. It is an exclusive system, not inclusive, that's permissible to only those that can afford it, in a growing number of cases, only through considerable pain and sacrifice, whereas to just as many more an impossibility. Consequently, it’s stupid of you to blame this on the government and not private business.

How can you guys accept this intolerable America, where it's every man for himself and the weak simply get left behind (not only in principle, but also practice)? Despicable. God bless the republican egoists.

And while they're at it, let's increase military subsidies.

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-07-13 at 08:36.
Old 01-07-13, 08:17

Quote:

Fixed.

Because the miracles of modern medicine are expensive, and people want them. Because people eat sh!t and don’t exercise, and then wonder why their bodies fall apart. Believe me, the Republicans don’t have any solutions to these problems, either.

I see you’re still at this notion that lowering taxes increases revenue. You still haven’t figured out that when incomes of the rich go up, the top 1% go into a higher bracket. That is why they are taxed more, not because taxes go up on a percentile basis. Have no idea why this is so difficult for some people to understand.
In Italy if you shoot an unarmed burgler in your house, you go to jail. This because it's not for the individual citizen to dispense justice. Otherwise we live in the Far West and ultimately the whole society becomes less civil, as we can see has taken place in the US.

Given that it's more difficult to possess a gun here, means that one is less likely to encounter such a situation in the first place, though that's another matter. Point is, unless armed, even in ones own domicile, if you shoot, you become the criminal.

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-08-13 at 10:59.
Old 01-07-13, 12:28

Quote:
Fixed.

and while we're at it let's cut the nuts off of men who think she was wrong. oops, we already did.