Less well known cycling records or facts - Page 7 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-04-13, 22:29

There are two videos for stage 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xix7-g05NSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdEov26-Ec

Would be so great to see the whole race coverage.
Old 01-05-13, 16:40

Philippe Gilbert and Richard Virenque are the only cyclists in the history of the sport to have worn all 3 leader jerseys on the same day in the Tour de France during the first week. Phil did it in 2011 while Virenque did it in 1992.

Tom Boonen is the only cyclist in the world to have won the Ronde van Vlaanderen in the rainbow jersey while being defending champion of the race.

Other cyclists who have won the Ronde van Vlaanderen in the rainbow jersey are Louison Bobet, Rik van Looy(comes up a lot in these kind of record lists of classics) and Eddy Merckx(1975).
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 01-05-13 at 16:43.
Old 01-06-13, 16:20

Freedom of speech, blowin in the wind?

For the third time, I'm trying to express my stupefaction at the fact that 90% oof the posts on this thread are about Bore de France (or Giro or Vuelta) and nothing about the other races that build up this sport.

I MUST say it. And let me do it.

It's sad and disgusting to read that.

There are so many great events in this sport and can't even see the beauty of it.

Distressing.
Old 01-06-13, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

For the third time, I'm trying to express my stupefaction at the fact that 90% oof the posts on this thread are about Bore de France (or Giro or Vuelta) and nothing about the other races that build up this sport.

There are so many great events in this sport and can't even see the beauty of it.

Distressing.
Well, part of the reason is surely that it's much easier to find information about and statistics from Tour de France.
Old 01-06-13, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

Distressing.
How about putting some stats about classics instead of whining nonstop?

Maybe you can help a few people to enjoy classics instead of GT's
Old 01-06-13, 16:48

Frank Vandenbroucke has won only one single UCI race in the 2000s. Between his second-to-last and last UCI wins were nine years, six months and nine days.

26.9.1999 stage 19, Vuelta a Espana
4.4.2009 stage 2a, Boucle de l'Artois
Old 01-06-13, 17:00
Administrator

echoes all you have been doing is whining and calling(almost insulting) every1 lesser cycling fans because their favourite race isn't a 1.2 semi amateur one day race.

i dare say the tour is far from the favourite race of most people on this forum (it certainly is my case) but i won't deny it's existence and discuss the results of the Gooikse Pijl over some sense of superior hipster cycling knowledge.

also you have been warned and banned multiple times before for derailing threads (like you are doing with this one) with your endless dismissing of the tour de france(and other top races) and everyone that dares to discuss them so instead of complaining about lack of freedom of speech maybe you should think before posting or insulting other posters.

either way on this thread you can either post lesser know facts of the races you like (like all the other people have been doing) or keep up like now and get banned again for a longer period of time.

if you want to discuss why the tour, giro, vuelta and the monuments are boring and the Meiprijs - Ereprijs Victor De Bruyne is awesome then go ahead and create a new thread for it.
Old 01-06-13, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Philippe Gilbert and Richard Virenque are the only cyclists in the history of the sport to have worn all 3 leader jerseys on the same day in the Tour de France during the first week..
Merckx never did that?
Old 01-06-13, 18:30

Bobet and Merckx are the only riders to have won both the Tour de France and the Tour of Flanders.
Boonen is the only rider to have achieved the Tour of Flanders/Paris-Roubaix double twice.
Every year Boonen won the Tour of Flanders, he also won the GP E3.
Ballan is the last world champion on home soil (road race).
Old 01-07-13, 15:16

Yeah I see it's always the same trick. If I'm saing we should have a more global view on the sport and drop the blinkers that are focused on Bore de France, then you would single out one very little race and ask if it isn't normal that nobody talk about it. And then it's legit that Bore de France should get all the attention.

Predictable.

(By the way, Hoboken May 1 is a prestigious race with a long history)

(Ban me anytime you like, Parrulo, I don't mind. All I wish is that you stop deleting my posts. That's nastier. And Orwellian. I don't like that)

I have of course plenty of anecdotes and records I could bring on this thread but I'm not sure anybody will be interested and I don't want to waste my time and anyway I'm disgusted.