For the "pedaling technique doesn't matter crowd" - Page 88 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-13, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Noel, if you didn't understand the question just ask and Tapeworm will spell it out so a moron could understand it.

How about Obree's power profile and pedalling analysis. Maybe Frank will spell out for you the answer to that sprinter question.
Old 01-07-13, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
How about Obree's power profile and pedalling analysis. Maybe Frank will spell out for you the answer to that sprinter question.
Would have been nice if Obree had presented some power and pedal force data to support his method.

Having coached several riders to various World, US, Oceania and NZ Sprint Titles and working with some very good biomechanists and physiologists I suspect Frank has nothing to teach me about Sprinting.

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 01-07-13, 23:17
Banned

Quote:
I suspect Frank has nothing to teach me about Sprinting.
I suspect the same thing.
Old 01-08-13, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
I suspect the same thing.

Does that mean PC's can do nothing to improve a sprinter's power output.
Old 01-08-13, 00:20
Banned

Quote:
Does that mean PC's can do nothing to improve a sprinter's power output.
No, it just means it is impossible for me to teach Fergie anything. To teach something to someone they must be a willing participant in the process.

Edit: Most people participate in forums to try to learn something from others. It is a give and take. Fergie, it seems, is more interested in simply, well I don't know what, but it isn't a give and take dialogue.

Last edited by FrankDay; 01-08-13 at 00:22.
Old 01-08-13, 03:23

Amusing seeing someone take the high road when their only motive here is to peddle their Snake Oil.

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 01-08-13, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
He did? Care to point to his power profile or peddling analysis?

When a rider gets out of the saddle, he can apply full body weight force to the pedal with average stress on his thigh muscles, but if he attempts to apply full body weight to the pedal when seated, things are very different. This is because he is now using indirect resistance for this force, it has to be transferred from the hip to the knee before force can be applied vertically downward from the knee. To overcome this problem Anquetil changed his peak torque spot from just after 3 o'c to 1 o'c, which meant he could now use direct resistance in the upper two thirds of his power stroke and apply much more torque there with very little stress on his thigh muscles, in addition to extending his pedalling power stroke from 120 to 180 degrees.
Old 01-08-13, 18:52

Quote:
When a rider gets out of the saddle, he can apply full body weight force to the pedal with average stress on his thigh muscles, but if he attempts to apply full body weight to the pedal when seated, things are very different. This is because he is now using indirect resistance for this force, it has to be transferred from the hip to the knee before force can be applied vertically downward from the knee. To overcome this problem Anquetil changed his peak torque spot from just after 3 o'c to 1 o'c, which meant he could now use direct resistance in the upper two thirds of his power stroke and apply much more torque there with very little stress on his thigh muscles, in addition to extending his pedalling power stroke from 120 to 180 degrees.
Give you a wee hint, when you are asked for a profile or analysis it normally means some type of measurement is involved. Not what your imagination thinks is happening.

Old 01-08-13, 19:32

Quote:
Give you a wee hint, when you are asked for a profile or analysis it normally means some type of measurement is involved. Not what your imagination thinks is happening.

I belong to the Obree camp, we search for what's best to improve power output and get on with it instead of all the repetitive analysis of mashing and circular pedalling which did nothing to change or improve pedalling from the day the bike was first invented.
Old 01-08-13, 19:41

Quote:
I belong to the Obree camp, we search for what's best to improve power output and get on with it instead of all the repetitive analysis of mashing and circular pedalling which did nothing to change or improve pedalling from the day the bike was first invented.
That's quite amusing when you consider that of any Hour record breaking he produced the least amount of power.

Closed Thread