For the "pedaling technique doesn't matter crowd" - Page 88 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #871  
Old 01-07-13, 19:47
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Noel, if you didn't understand the question just ask and Tapeworm will spell it out so a moron could understand it.


How about Obree's power profile and pedalling analysis. Maybe Frank will spell out for you the answer to that sprinter question.
  #872  
Old 01-07-13, 20:58
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
How about Obree's power profile and pedalling analysis. Maybe Frank will spell out for you the answer to that sprinter question.
Would have been nice if Obree had presented some power and pedal force data to support his method.

Having coached several riders to various World, US, Oceania and NZ Sprint Titles and working with some very good biomechanists and physiologists I suspect Frank has nothing to teach me about Sprinting.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #873  
Old 01-07-13, 23:17
FrankDay FrankDay is online now
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N. California
Posts: 2,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
I suspect Frank has nothing to teach me about Sprinting.
I suspect the same thing.
  #874  
Old 01-08-13, 00:16
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
I suspect the same thing.


Does that mean PC's can do nothing to improve a sprinter's power output.
  #875  
Old 01-08-13, 00:20
FrankDay FrankDay is online now
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N. California
Posts: 2,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
Does that mean PC's can do nothing to improve a sprinter's power output.
No, it just means it is impossible for me to teach Fergie anything. To teach something to someone they must be a willing participant in the process.

Edit: Most people participate in forums to try to learn something from others. It is a give and take. Fergie, it seems, is more interested in simply, well I don't know what, but it isn't a give and take dialogue.

Last edited by FrankDay; 01-08-13 at 00:22.
  #876  
Old 01-08-13, 03:23
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,275
Default

Amusing seeing someone take the high road when their only motive here is to peddle their Snake Oil.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #877  
Old 01-08-13, 18:21
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
He did? Care to point to his power profile or peddling analysis?

When a rider gets out of the saddle, he can apply full body weight force to the pedal with average stress on his thigh muscles, but if he attempts to apply full body weight to the pedal when seated, things are very different. This is because he is now using indirect resistance for this force, it has to be transferred from the hip to the knee before force can be applied vertically downward from the knee. To overcome this problem Anquetil changed his peak torque spot from just after 3 o'c to 1 o'c, which meant he could now use direct resistance in the upper two thirds of his power stroke and apply much more torque there with very little stress on his thigh muscles, in addition to extending his pedalling power stroke from 120 to 180 degrees.
  #878  
Old 01-08-13, 18:52
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
When a rider gets out of the saddle, he can apply full body weight force to the pedal with average stress on his thigh muscles, but if he attempts to apply full body weight to the pedal when seated, things are very different. This is because he is now using indirect resistance for this force, it has to be transferred from the hip to the knee before force can be applied vertically downward from the knee. To overcome this problem Anquetil changed his peak torque spot from just after 3 o'c to 1 o'c, which meant he could now use direct resistance in the upper two thirds of his power stroke and apply much more torque there with very little stress on his thigh muscles, in addition to extending his pedalling power stroke from 120 to 180 degrees.
Give you a wee hint, when you are asked for a profile or analysis it normally means some type of measurement is involved. Not what your imagination thinks is happening.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #879  
Old 01-08-13, 19:32
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Give you a wee hint, when you are asked for a profile or analysis it normally means some type of measurement is involved. Not what your imagination thinks is happening.


I belong to the Obree camp, we search for what's best to improve power output and get on with it instead of all the repetitive analysis of mashing and circular pedalling which did nothing to change or improve pedalling from the day the bike was first invented.
  #880  
Old 01-08-13, 19:41
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
I belong to the Obree camp, we search for what's best to improve power output and get on with it instead of all the repetitive analysis of mashing and circular pedalling which did nothing to change or improve pedalling from the day the bike was first invented.
That's quite amusing when you consider that of any Hour record breaking he produced the least amount of power.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.