2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan - Page 16 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-08-13, 01:48

The stage into Stirling could be good for him as Kittel will not be able to sprint- he will lose up to 20 or so seconds.

I can't help but feel Argos should have brought Degenkolb, he could have won a few stages and not lost so much time on the climbs and could have then finished in the top 5 or so.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 01-08-13, 03:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilba60 View Post
And for the Australian Championships; only suggesting one really hot day and there is no racing on the Friday, so looks perfect. Could be a degree or two cooler in Ballarat.

Quote:
The Bureau of Meteorology's interactive weather forecasting chart has added new colours – deep purple and pink – to extend its previous temperature range that had been capped at 50 degrees. The range now extends to 54 degrees – well above the all-time record temperature of 50.7 degrees reached on January 2, 1960 at Oodnadatta Airport in South Australia – and, perhaps worringly, the forecast outlook is starting to deploy the new colours

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/environment...#ixzz2HLsQNu2j
Old 01-09-13, 11:16

Default Greetings from South Australia

Just chiming in, I'm more a lurker than contributor, but I live near Adelaide, and ride with a local veterans club over many of these roads. I know this race well, have been here for 9/15 editions, so can't resist putting my 2 cents in.

The first few years that this was a WT race it was dominated by sprinters. The climbs here are too short to really set up any kind of climbers battle at that level (even in the early season). The organisers have done well to alter this, first with 2 times up Willunga, then last year with the HTF. So more of a hilly classics type profile. Willunga Hill is far from the hardest climb in the area (Penny's Hill, the descent, is actually steeper), but that stage has endured due to spectator-friendliness and fabulous community support.

There are two big changes this year - the Corkscrew Road climb, and the increase in the Stirling loop from three to six times around. The climb up Corkscrew is definitely hard, but relatively short. The descent is a screamer, only ~7 K to the finish, and pretty curvy. So not a descent that a group is going to have much luck chasing on, but a skilled descender could do well.

The profile of the Stirling loop is pretty lumpy, and increasing the loops from three to six will likely sap the sprinters legs. (sorry Bling)

Overall this race favours the puncheurs for the overall,with stages 1, 4, and 6 grist for the quicks. Of course opportunists can always surprise, and the weather can intervene. At this point we're having a cooling trend but 2 weeks is a long time. They are skipping the windy Fleurieu this year, but the winds can also play up in the Barrossa. (BTW, Ballarat for the Nats is looking decidedly cool, forecast for Sunday is for top of 18C with showers. I'll be there as well)

So Gerro, Gilbert, Valverde (if he comes, Movistar haven't announced yet), CAS
Kash, for the GC, Watch out for Adam Hansen. Greipel will be hard to beat for the sprints, but a lot will try. Don't know who OGE are sending, but my bets are O'Grady, Goss, Cam Meyer, Gerro, Matthews, Clarke, and ??. (Durbridge, Bobridge, Howard-------?)

I'd like to see them add a hill climb TT (Mt Lofty?) someday, they could do it on road bikes.

See you on Willunga Hill?
Old 01-09-13, 11:25

Thanks for your preview, Tragic. I was thinking about Corkscrew Road climb and how long it actually was. Profile didn't seem overly detailed in that respect. Someone could definitely get away and stay away on that climb. Who knows?
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 01-09-13, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Thanks for your preview, Tragic. I was thinking about Corkscrew Road climb and how long it actually was. Profile didn't seem overly detailed in that respect. Someone could definitely get away and stay away on that climb. Who knows?
It's only a little over 2K, but very steep in parts. If a good descender can get a gap at the top he won't be caught. On the other hand there probably won't be a big gap at the finish.
Old 01-09-13, 16:06

if the old willunga hill is the alpe d'huez of south australia then we should call corkscrew the aussie mortirolo :P

because i was interested in this new corkscrew road climb:

overall 3,7 km@6,3%

the first 2 kms are easy at 4%

after, you have 1,7 at 8,8%,there are some little hairpins too which are great for an attacker.
the problem is if the attacker can put a nice gap at the top,there are still 7 kms to the finish

Last edited by jens_attacks; 01-09-13 at 16:08.
Old 01-09-13, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
if the old willunga hill is the alpe d'huez of south australia then we should call corkscrew the aussie mortirolo :P

overall 3,7 km@6,3%

the first 2 kms are easy at 4%

after, you have 1,7 at 8,8%,there are some little hairpins too which are great for an attacker.
the problem is if the attacker can put a nice gap at the top,there are still 7 kms to the finish
Let me quote my own post from a few pages back. This I found on Google:

Quote:
Corkscrew is a 2.48km climb (starting at the bridge) that has 3 distinct sections and has an average gradient of 9.5%. The first relatively straight section (about 1km) is 8 - 12% gardient, and then comes the mini Alpe D'Huez - only 4 short hairpins covering about 700m, but the gradient sits at 15 - 17% on the straight bits, from there the last 700m slowly levels out to 7% at the end (from about 11%), and then comes the 135 degree corner and straight down Montacute.
It sounds quite hard, surely for the allrounders like EBH it could be a bit of a problem. Yes, there's still 7 kms to the finish, but it's 7 kms of technical descent, apparently.
Old 01-09-13, 18:50

Send a message via ICQ to search Send a message via Skype™ to search

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Yes, there's still 7 kms to the finish, but it's 7 kms of technical descent, apparently.
no, not at all, there is barely a corner in there
Old 01-09-13, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
Kash, for the GC, Watch out for Adam Hansen. Greipel will be hard to beat for the sprints, but a lot will try. Don't know who OGE are sending, but my bets are O'Grady, Goss, Cam Meyer, Gerro, Matthews, Clarke, and ??. (Durbridge, Bobridge, Howard-------?)

I'd like to see them add a hill climb TT (Mt Lofty?) someday, they could do it on road bikes.

See you on Willunga Hill?
Great Post.
I shall be there on Wilunga.
Bobridge does not ride on OGE any more- he rides for Rabobank/Blanco now.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 01-10-13, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
No Howard either, he will be at San Luis and as Greenedge mentions, Bobridge is no longer at OGE