Dede Barry - Page 6 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-06-13, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by the delgados View Post
@D-Queued

Not to veer too far off topic, but I was surprised to see Barry launch himself out of the peloton and foolishly tow the decisive move to the line at the 2003 WC.

But if memory serves, the race (which was won by a domestique) was relatively dull and featured little to no attacking. All someone like Barry had to do was keep his nose out of the wind and wait for one surge on the final hill of the final lap.
Only in Canada, eh?

Switching back to Dede, her performance was comendable until you consider that she was obviously fully juiced.

Just as any indictment of her clearly taints Michael, what does her performance say about the women's field?

It is incredulous at how much slack the women's peloton is given when their doping is at least as obvious as the men's. Moreover, women are better responders - to both EPO and Testosterone.

One very obvious and well documented side-effect being breast reduction. When was the last time you saw a full figured gal at the head of the women's field?

Ooh, it is just because they have trained so hard and lost weight.

Right. Complete crap.

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 01-06-13, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworld View Post
Watching him charge up the Hamilton Escarpment in 2003...'not normal' for Mike for sure.
Noticed that too. CBC going bananas when he did.

Surprised no one's mentioned that before. I couldn't believe it, right there with Valverde and Igor Astarloa. That's a BIG step up. And right on home ground. It's not like good "legs" are a question of motivation, getting psyched.
Old 01-06-13, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyninefourteen View Post
It turns out that the EPO and whatever other stuff that is floating around is the domain of the 'recreational and athletic products' division of the local drug trade controlled by the underworld. (bikers, mob, ....for real) Not the same kind of people in Europe supplying the athletes.
Now, that's interesting. Wasn't there some draft UCI or WADA report, or something of that sort, a year or two ago, or older, floating around about organized criminal links to doping networks (probably Eastern European across the pond)?

Last edited by Parrot23; 01-06-13 at 20:15.
Old 01-06-13, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
It is suspected that Ryder 'trains' in Hawaii for similar reasons those who used Fuentes and Ferarri 'trained' in Tenerife.
OT but all related to theme of Canada, Canadian riders or connections, etc., wasn't Lance also training in Hawaii too before his last two Tours? There's a YouTube video or two, I think, of him with ChrisComical there, doing hill intervals.

Something about volcanoes in both places. At least they're steep

(In fairness to Ryder, I was thinking he does have good reason to be there: 1. close to his folks and his wife's folks, I would think, in B.C. 2. warmth and hills obviously, and 3. he's a surfer.)

Last edited by Parrot23; 01-06-13 at 22:56.
Old 01-06-13, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by the delgados View Post
@D-Queued

Not to veer too far off topic, but I was surprised to see Barry launch himself out of the peloton and foolishly tow the decisive move to the line at the 2003 WC.

But if memory serves, the race (which was won by a domestique) was relatively dull and featured little to no attacking. All someone like Barry had to do was keep his nose out of the wind and wait for one surge on the final hill of the final lap.
Although I had been out of cycling for a few years i did go to watch the race in Hamilton. There was a long early break that got caught 3 or 4 laps from the end. THe grind of the distance and two ascents of the escarpment per lap whittled down the elite group to 7 (IIRC). THe escarpment is a short climb but 30 times up the hill will take it out of you.

I thought a one day race on a course Mike knows well (he was second at the nationals in 1995 (??) ). I thought he might have been clean for the race. Looking back now his move on the last lap was really stupid. It's exactly the type of move doped riders made when I raced. He was the "little fish" in that group. He rode like a guy who couldn't believe his luck and freshness and made the move.

Was this the first year he 'doped'?
Old 01-06-13, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot23 View Post
Now, that's interesting. Wasn't there some draft UCI or WADA report, or something of that sort, a year or two ago, or older, floating around about organized criminal links to doping networks (probably Eastern European across the pond)?
I am pretty sure Tygart has a lot of intel on dope sourcing. There was a lot of cooperation with French, Italian, and Swiss authorities on the money trail, accounts in CH etc. From what I have read, most sources in Europe were local pharmacies in remote areas for the EPO and cortico's. For the HGH and the Pot Belge I would suspect the mob is somehow involved as we learned in our local 'dope scandal'.
Old 01-06-13, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot23 View Post
Quote:
...It turns out that the EPO and whatever other stuff that is floating around is the domain of the 'recreational and athletic products' division of the local drug trade controlled by the underworld. (bikers, mob, ....for real) Not the same kind of people in Europe supplying the athletes.
Yes there is at least one WADA funded study on this. It confirms the confluence of drug and PED trafficking:

WORLD TRAFFIC IN DOPING SUBSTANCES, by Alessandro Donati

"Do drug dealers distinguish between doping and drug use?

No, for most dealers there is no difference. To prove this, it is a fact that, when the police seize illegal substances from dealers, they find substances for drug use and substances for doping.

Leaving aside the production sites of opium and opium poppies, we can see that most of the drug routes controlled by the larger international criminal organizations overlap the doping routes; this aspect will be discussed in detail further on. Here, it is sufficient to mention that there are routes from Asia, the republics of the former Soviet Union, and Greece and Cyprus..."

Other topics covered by Donnati include:

"Role of the Italo-American Mafia in the 70s and 80s...

Dictators are also involved in the trafficking of doping substances...

Role of the Russian Criminal Organizations and other former Soviet countries...

Doping the Asian way...

The Military, Police Authorities and doping...

Belgium is found to be the crossroads of doping in Europe...

An exchange between animals and people: Australian veterinary hormones..."

Etc.

Organized crime is a global phenomenon. In addition, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence about organized crime's interest in cycling. There has to be some crossover.

Sticking with our Canadian theme in this thread, where PED trafficking is profitable, it attracts all kinds:

Niagara police probe steroid, drug allegations within (their own) ranks

Here is another recent Canadian headline:

14 December 2012: Steroids, (HGH), cocaine, ‘date rape’ drug seized in $750,000 Fort McMurray bust

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 01-06-13, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Queued View Post
Yes, that's the one, Dave.
Old 01-08-13, 04:56

Quote:
I am confident that Bauer, Fraser, Landry, all rode clean. Not so sure about the past of one current rider doing quite well at the moment.
FWIW, I'm as sure of Bauer's cleanliness as I am of Lance's filthiness.
Old 01-08-13, 05:46

I bought Dede Barry's fitness cycling book a few years back and I was always wondering why it was no help to my racing, and now I realize that without the juice she probably doesn't know much about how to become faster.

Last edited by Buffalo; 02-15-13 at 18:13.