Van Den Broeck admits to having visited presumed doping doc Mertens - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-07-13, 22:04

Throw O2 on a fire, what happens? Yet putting O3 in your blood using a needle is not something to worry over?
I'm for zero tolerance here. Was a needle involved? 2 year ban, done.
Old 01-07-13, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Velo View Post
I'd say some of the guys on 0 are as dodgy as they come.
Who?

I agree for Horner (and perhaps Voeckler and Canc), but other than those I don't view any of the others as extremely dodgy.

EDIT:
When a rider refuses to take a pull even though it is tactically and/or strategically more sound to take a pull
*Refusing to pull when it is tactically and/or strategically more sound not to is therefore not wheelsucking
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up

Last edited by Netserk; 01-07-13 at 22:11.
Old 01-07-13, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
Who?

I agree for Horner (and perhaps Voeckler and Canc), but other than those I don't view any of the others as extremely dodgy.

EDIT:
Voeckler only became suspicious from 2011 on. Maybe Europcar was just finally joining the juice-club after the Bbox nearly collapsed at the end of 2010.
Old 01-07-13, 22:26

That list is a load of cobblers. They couldn't even print it in coherent columns. Says it all. Horner zero. AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAAHAHAHAAH.

OK stupid post, but it's clearly not a straightforward index of cleanlihood.

Last edited by taiwan; 01-08-13 at 10:33.
Old 01-08-13, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
A suspicion index is just that. If you don't think the guys on the top are more suspicious than the guys on the bottom you don't attach value to it. Simple.
It's important to remember that this is an index of suspicion for a specific point in time. Earning a 0 in 2011 doesn't mean that there was never any suspicion. Indeed there riders here who subsequently confessed to doping who have 1 and 0 ratings (Zabriskie, Barie, Hincapie). We don't know what the suspicion index was in later in 2012 or in 2010 and earlier. Indeed perhaps the reason that the former Disco/Postal riders were rated zeros in 2011 is because the UCI was comparing their performances to earlier times when their suspicion index was higher.

A low suspicion number in 2011 doesn't exonerate anyone (any more than a high index convicts someone), it is just a handicapping of doping probability based on evidence available to the compilers of the index. There may may be evidence that the compilers were not aware of. I note that Di Gregario was rated a 2 and was arrested at the 2012 TDF. The index sets the odds, but sometimes long shots come in.
Old 01-08-13, 05:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvieto View Post
It's important to remember that this is an index of suspicion for a specific point in time. Earning a 0 in 2011 doesn't mean that there was never any suspicion. Indeed there riders here who subsequently confessed to doping who have 1 and 0 ratings (Zabriskie, Barie, Hincapie). We don't know what the suspicion index was in later in 2012 or in 2010 and earlier. Indeed perhaps the reason that the former Disco/Postal riders were rated zeros in 2011 is because the UCI was comparing their performances to earlier times when their suspicion index was higher.

A low suspicion number in 2011 doesn't exonerate anyone (any more than a high index convicts someone), it is just a handicapping of doping probability based on evidence available to the compilers of the index. There may may be evidence that the compilers were not aware of. I note that Di Gregario was rated a 2 and was arrested at the 2012 TDF. The index sets the odds, but sometimes long shots come in.
Di Gregario was injected with ozone-enriched blood and glucose, but hasn't been proven to have taken anything else, as far as I know. He may indeed have been relatively clean.
Old 01-08-13, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
A suspicion index is just that. If you don't think the guys on the top are more suspicious than the guys on the bottom you don't attach value to it. Simple.
The utility of any screening test is always a balance between sensitivity, specificity and prevalence (the consequence of a false positive/false negative is also important).

In the context of this index of suspicion being to enable targeting of dirty riders for easy anti-doping wins, it's entirely plausible that the index be biased to high specificity [we only want to target people we have a high chance of busting] and sacrifice sensitivity [we don't care about busting every doper, particularly given the presumed high prevalence of doping].

There's a good primer at:http://www.ehd.org/science_technology_testresults.php.

Needless to say the timing of any test is also important; one could test negative with the best pregnancy test in the world on 1 January and still give birth in September...
Old 01-08-13, 09:57

Word from a friend (researching at the Cologne Sports University) is, UV therapy may be related to possible positive effects on CNS, PNS, especially during intensive/extensive training periods. So even morally it's kind of an attempt to dope if you would like to say so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroregeneration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D
Old 01-08-13, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.38% View Post
Word from a friend (researching at the Cologne Sports University) is, UV therapy may be related to possible positive effects on CNS, PNS, especially during intensive/extensive training periods. So even morally it's kind of an attempt to dope if you would like to say so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroregeneration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D
This makes far more sense.

It seems imminently risky to do a procedure like that (high risk) for such little reward (not getting a cold as was previously stated as the reason for the procedure).
Old 01-09-13, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloxxki View Post
Was a needle involved? 2 year ban, done.
Agreed, I was only trying to explain.....

Never mind

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily
#Tour 1990, Luz Ardiden (13.30 km, 7.44 %, 989 m). Greg LeMond: 39 min 46 sec, 20.07 Kph, VAM 1492 m/h, ~5.40-5.50 W/kg.