U.S. Politics - Page 614 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6131  
Old 01-08-13, 23:46
BroDeal BroDeal is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Above 5000 feet
Posts: 12,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
But this is a Far West mentality that's been given up in more civilized societies, or at least among the more civil within them.

There is something known as a proportioned response, which escapes you here. In the absence of a gun, killing the burglar or agonizing him with a firearm isn't a proportioned response, no matter the circumstances. This has to do with placing greater value in life (not the burglar's, just life in general) over material goods, however personal and domestic. Of course if the burglar has an intention to kill, then a corresponding response can't be taken as disproportioned.

At the same time this isn't about "taking the criminal's side" either, but finding more evolved and less reactionary responses to deal with (or even view) the situation. Then there would be the concept of dispensing justice, which can't be left in the hands of individual citizens (again for reasons of not encouraging a Far West state of affairs, or how about the Middle Ages), and so must be placed in those of the legal institutions and judicial process, after law enfocement has done its job.
I can see it now. A meth addict invades Rhubroma's home and is presented with a twenty part questionaire to judge his intentions so Rhubroma can figure out the appropriate response. If the crook is unarmed and promises not to stomp his family with his Doc Martens or is only there to take material goods then Rhubroma helps load stuff into his car and gives him a farewell wave.

Law enforcement's job is to draw chalk outlines around the corpses of those killed by criminals.
Reply With Quote
  #6132  
Old 01-09-13, 00:53
patricknd's Avatar
patricknd patricknd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: houston texas
Posts: 1,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
I can see it now. A meth addict invades Rhubroma's home and is presented with a twenty part questionaire to judge his intentions so Rhubroma can figure out the appropriate response. If the crook is unarmed and promises not to stomp his family with his Doc Martens or is only there to take material goods then Rhubroma helps load stuff into his car and gives him a farewell wave.

Law enforcement's job is to draw chalk outlines around the corpses of those killed by criminals.
don't forget the essay portion
Reply With Quote
  #6133  
Old 01-09-13, 09:18
rhubroma's Avatar
rhubroma rhubroma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
I can see it now. A meth addict invades Rhubroma's home and is presented with a twenty part questionaire to judge his intentions so Rhubroma can figure out the appropriate response. If the crook is unarmed and promises not to stomp his family with his Doc Martens or is only there to take material goods then Rhubroma helps load stuff into his car and gives him a farewell wave.

Law enforcement's job is to draw chalk outlines around the corpses of those killed by criminals.
Not likely Bro. I could also fall off a bridge. I don't worry about this stuff. Nuff said.

PS: My apartment has been broken into twice here, fortunately both times when I was out. Would I defend my premises? Well the first thing I'd do is alert the entire complex that there is a burglar/s in the palazzo. After that he/they would probably take off immediately, etc. End of story.

In any case I'm not scared of being robbed, it sucks, but that's all. Wild scenarios such as you portray are mostly the stuff of Hollywood fantasy. If someone entered my place with a gun while I was there, then I guess it would be up to fate as to the outcome. It doesn't cost me sleep though. I'm a fatalist in this sense.

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-09-13 at 11:53.
Reply With Quote
  #6134  
Old 01-09-13, 15:57
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
I can see it now. A meth addict invades Rhubroma's home and is presented with a twenty part questionaire to judge his intentions so Rhubroma can figure out the appropriate response. If the crook is unarmed and promises not to stomp his family with his Doc Martens or is only there to take material goods then Rhubroma helps load stuff into his car and gives him a farewell wave.

Law enforcement's job is to draw chalk outlines around the corpses of those killed by criminals.
And you need a military-issue assault rifle and armor-piercing bullets for that? A 100-round magazine clip to fend off that horde of burglars? Do you also sleep in body armor? Keep a bazooka and tank in the garage in case your neighborhood is invaded? A surface-to-air missile in the backyard for when the government comes to take your house?

Bit of overkill having military-level armament so readily and easily available, don't you think? Let's have some ****ing sensible gun control, for Christ's sake.
Reply With Quote
  #6135  
Old 01-09-13, 16:51
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
And you need a military-issue assault rifle and armor-piercing bullets for that? A 100-round magazine clip to fend off that horde of burglars? Do you also sleep in body armor? Keep a bazooka and tank in the garage in case your neighborhood is invaded? A surface-to-air missile in the backyard for when the government comes to take your house?

Bit of overkill having military-level armament so readily and easily available, don't you think? Let's have some ****ing sensible gun control, for Christ's sake.
I agree because we all know the criminals and mentally ill follow the law to the letter.

Gotta regulate inanimate objects lest the knee jerk left won't be able to sleep at night.

You see Pat Caddell's comments the other day? He's one of yours.

Also, it looks like DiFi is trying to give Obama a run for gun salesperson of the century. Oh, the irony.
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #6136  
Old 01-09-13, 17:25
rhubroma's Avatar
rhubroma rhubroma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
I agree because we all know the criminals and mentally ill follow the law to the letter.

Gotta regulate inanimate objects lest the knee jerk left won't be able to sleep at night.

You see Pat Caddell's comments the other day? He's one of yours.

Also, it looks like DiFi is trying to give Obama a run for gun salesperson of the century. Oh, the irony.
You continue to loose intelligence points with such commentary. Certainly gun restrictions aren't the only answer, but they are a necessary point of departure.

Everything else is just the BS the NRA want's people to believe to pursue their appalling market interests.

I figured you were smart enough to get this. Evidently I was wrong.

When I was back in the States at X-mas the husband of my cousin, a policeman, spoke several inanities to this point, including that intolerably blockheaded and vapid (because ideologically driven) one about “guns don’t kill people, people kill people,” that he stated with the aplomb of a redneck from New Jersey. What a ghastly mentality prevails among our policemen, I thought. It's one thing to be confronted by a simple person, quite another to be confronted by a police officer from Jersey, the one being tolerable and reassuring, the other being intolerable, disturbing and grotesque.
Reply With Quote
  #6137  
Old 01-09-13, 17:48
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
You continue to loose intelligence points with such commentary. Certainly gun restrictions aren't the only answer, but they are a necessary point of departure.

Everything else is just the BS the NRA want's people to believe to pursue their appalling market interests.

I figured you were smart enough to get this. Evidently I was wrong.

When I was back in the States at X-mas the husband of my cousin, a policeman, spoke several inanities to this point, including that intolerably blockheaded and vapid (because ideologically driven) one about “guns don’t kill people, people kill people,” that he stated with the aplomb of a redneck from New Jersey. What a ghastly mentality prevails among our policemen, I thought. It's one thing to be confronted by a simple person, quite another to be confronted by a police officer from Jersey, the one being tolerable and reassuring, the other being intolerable, disturbing and grotesque.
This has little to do with my intelligence and everything to do with the failure of the anti-gun crowd to address the real problems.

Band aid on spurting arteries. That's all you guys care to do.
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #6138  
Old 01-09-13, 17:50
rhubroma's Avatar
rhubroma rhubroma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
This has little to do with my intelligence and everything to do with the failure of the anti-gun crowd to address the real problems.

Band aid on spurting arteries. That's all you guys care to do.
You are a blockhead.
Reply With Quote
  #6139  
Old 01-09-13, 18:53
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
You are a blockhead.
Yes, you've mentioned that before.

This is usually where the conversation ends between those of us who actually live in the real world and those that just think they do.
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #6140  
Old 01-09-13, 19:00
rhubroma's Avatar
rhubroma rhubroma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Yes, you've mentioned that before.

This is usually where the conversation ends between those of us who actually live in the real world and those that just think they do.
Keep thinking then.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.