2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion - Page 9 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 Giro?
Wiggins 137 35.31%
Nibali 140 36.08%
Gesink 26 6.70%
Hesjedal 28 7.22%
Sanchez 12 3.09%
Basso/Scarponi 7 1.80%
Rujano 3 0.77%
Cobo/Capecchi/Intxausti 9 2.32%
A Colombian 10 2.58%
Other/Garzelli 16 4.12%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 01-09-13, 19:06
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by staubsauger View Post
He will lose about 4 or 6 minutes against the clock on Wiggins. No way he is consistent/ steady enough to take them all back. Based on that you could've also mentioned Atapuma or Chaves as overall challengers.
lol. rujano isn't a bad itt rider, unlike chaves and atapuma, who are very bad, in giro 2005 he lost a masisve 1:58 in the 2nd long itt to winner basso(who was an itt monster on the csc juice) for instance and in the first itt he was in the first 10 until he had to change his bike 3x

rujano's enemy is only one and it's not wiggins or itt, it's the weather

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki; 01-09-13 at 19:14.
  #82  
Old 01-09-13, 19:18
staubsauger staubsauger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
lol. rujano isn't a bad itt rider, unlike chaves and atapuma, who are very bad, in giro 2005 he lost a masisve 1:30 in the 2nd long itt to winner basso(who was an itt monster on the csc juice) for instance and in the first itt he was in the first 10 until he had to change his bike 3x

rujano's enemy is only one and it's not wiggins or itt, it's the weather
But he's still just mediocre in time trailing for European levels and that would make him lose enough time on Wiggins for sure

If I'm wrong and Rujano wins it I'm gonna party here with you for sure, pal

Also Chaves was Colombian youth time trail champion I thought!?
  #83  
Old 01-09-13, 19:23
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by staubsauger View Post
But he's still just mediocre in time trailing for European levels and that would make him lose enough time on Wiggins for sure

If I'm wrong and Rujano wins it I'm gonna party here with you for sure, pal

Also Chaves was Colombian youth time trail champion I thought!?
chaves was never colombian champion in anything. he is really bad at itt. I'm not saying rujano will win the giro(been there done that ) but if the weather is good for 3 entire weeks and he has absolutely no sickness or anything he will be unstopable, whoever it is. wiggins, contador. hes the greatest cycling talent on earth no doubt. but also the most vulnerable.
  #84  
Old 01-09-13, 19:31
staubsauger staubsauger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
chaves was never colombian champion in anything. he is really bad at itt. I'm not saying rujano will win the giro(been there done that ) but if the weather is good for 3 entire weeks and he has absolutely no sickness or anything he will be unstopable, whoever it is. wiggins, contador. hes the greatest cycling talent on earth no doubt. but also the most vulnerable.
Okay I must have been mistaking that. My excuses.

I'd still doubt that. There will again be one moment of in-concentration or a descent that would cost him precious time, again.
  #85  
Old 01-09-13, 20:10
taiwan's Avatar
taiwan taiwan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
That picture is immense. She was totally beautiful, and then Rujano looks like the cycling Mr. Bean. It just works.
__________________
Scientific Expert
  #86  
Old 01-09-13, 20:55
JimmyFingers's Avatar
JimmyFingers JimmyFingers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,874
Default

I haven't read through the entire thread but I'm very surprised Hesjedal has so few votes as defending champion. It took a long time during the race last year before he was taken seriously as a contender, the consensus was he would be ganged up on and crack in the mountains, but he didn't. Am I missing something? Is the parcours particularly ill-suited to him? Or is who he's riding against?

That said, I voted for Wiggins
  #87  
Old 01-10-13, 01:25
Afrank's Avatar
Afrank Afrank is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread but I'm very surprised Hesjedal has so few votes as defending champion. It took a long time during the race last year before he was taken seriously as a contender, the consensus was he would be ganged up on and crack in the mountains, but he didn't. Am I missing something? Is the parcours particularly ill-suited to him? Or is who he's riding against?

That said, I voted for Wiggins
The field for this years Giro so far is looking much stronger and more complex than last years. Plus there will be bigger names competing (Nibali, Wiggins, Sanchez, etc.) so Hesjedal is being slightly overlooked. But as has been said before, that's the way he and Vaghters like it.
__________________
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
  #88  
Old 01-10-13, 08:24
Leendert82 Leendert82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
wait, you say that Nibali can't win because he's not the best climber nor the best tter and then you say Gesink will win?
yes, you read that correct
  #89  
Old 01-10-13, 08:27
Leendert82 Leendert82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Probably not, the Rabobank board doesn't watch the Giro. Just the Amstel Gold Race and the Tour.


Come on, expecting Gesink to win is not realistic. His best result in a GT is 6th. Yes, I know Hesjedal's best result before last year was even worse, but he hadn't been trying as often.
Apparently there are quite a number of ppl agreeing with me that Gesink will win.
And yes I can be serious. Gesink has massive potential in both Climbing and Time Trials and is a serious contender.
  #90  
Old 01-10-13, 08:56
18-Valve. (pithy) 18-Valve. (pithy) is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
He was good at the Italian champs but he's completely untested over three weeks since '09. I think he'll go stage hunting.
Not just at the Italian nationals... but sure, Pellizotti hasn't done a GT in a while. I don't think that matters all that much, though. His track record is still miles better than Scarponi pre-suspension, who's been a top-3 climber in every Giro since (if you account for consistency) Edit: that is highly unusual of course, but Savio just might be the right guy for the job.
__________________
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General

Last edited by 18-Valve. (pithy); 01-10-13 at 09:00.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.