::::~ Wheelbuilders thread ~:::: - Page 75 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 01-10-13, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
...For that sort of money you could have Ambrosio Excellight rims in something decent like Hope Pro 3 (they come with free earplugs)
That is my set up for my training wheels (+DT Revolution)...at 65kg, Excellight can be a training wheel for me...and once I got over the feeling I was being followed by a swarm of locusts every time I freewheeled have loved them.

GM - on the H+Son rims, I see they are anodised on the brake surface as well. Years ago I had Campag rims with anodised brake surface which rubbed off to be a mix of black and silver after some use...have you seen these rims after some k's? Does the anodising stay on the brake surface?
Old 01-11-13, 02:19

Just sharing some candy that's going out the door. White industries T11 hubs, H+Son TB14 rims, laced 32h 3x all around with DT Competitions and brass nipples. In eye blinding chrome of course.
Old 01-15-13, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCutter View Post
GM - on the H+Son rims, I see they are anodised on the brake surface as well. Years ago I had Campag rims with anodised brake surface which rubbed off to be a mix of black and silver after some use...have you seen these rims after some k's? Does the anodising stay on the brake surface?
No, the anodizing will rub out eventually. Noticeable on the the black or gray rims, not the polished silver of course. Sorry for the late reply, been a helluva month. Back in MN for a month or two, have internet again finally.
Old 01-16-13, 17:10

Question for the builders.

I need to put together a new rear wheel for my fixed and will likely go with an h plus son archetype. Since I'm in England for the moment, a couple of friends and one builder have suggested that I consider going with Royce for the hub. Do you have any experience, thoughts, opinions on these relative to other higher end hubs?
Old 01-16-13, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
No, the anodizing will rub out eventually. Noticeable on the the black or gray rims, not the polished silver of course. Sorry for the late reply, been a helluva month. Back in MN for a month or two, have internet again finally.
Just in time for some bad *** cold weather. ;-)
Old 01-16-13, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
Question for the builders.

I need to put together a new rear wheel for my fixed and will likely go with an h plus son archetype. Since I'm in England for the moment, a couple of friends and one builder have suggested that I consider going with Royce for the hub. Do you have any experience, thoughts, opinions on these relative to other higher end hubs?
I have heard nothing but great things about Royce. Ive only played with a geared hub that was built into a wheel, but it was very smooth. I don't think you'll go wrong at all with that build.
Old 01-18-13, 22:22

Anyone have a recommendation for the best 36H 700C rims for loaded touring? I currently have some old DT Swiss rims that have been great, but are slowly but surely wearing out in the Vancouver winter. DT Swiss don't seem to do 36H anymore. I was wondering if their heavy-duty 32H options are really just as strong.
Old 01-19-13, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkybiker View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for the best 36H 700C rims for loaded touring? I currently have some old DT Swiss rims that have been great, but are slowly but surely wearing out in the Vancouver winter. DT Swiss don't seem to do 36H anymore. I was wondering if their heavy-duty 32H options are really just as strong.
Velocity Dyad.
Old 01-19-13, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukebox View Post
I have heard nothing but great things about Royce. Ive only played with a geared hub that was built into a wheel, but it was very smooth. I don't think you'll go wrong at all with that build.
Alternatively, you could try these
Old 01-19-13, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugHugger View Post
Alternatively, you could try these
Interesting, thanks.