New: Dirsportif - The mother of all cycling games - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Games and Fantasy Cycling

Games and Fantasy Cycling Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Old 01-01-13, 00:45

Default New: Dirsportif - The mother of all cycling games

Update 17/01/2013: Still teams available for players to take over as manager. 5 teams currently in top ten of ranking needing a skilled manager to lead them to glory. For previews of the teams send an email to dirsportif@xtra.co.nz. Get in before the Tour Down Under.

The game has started but players can join all year long and still win. For more details email: dirsportif@xtra.co.nz

DirSportif is a Cycling Game that simulates the managing of a professional cycling team. It is played with real pro riders who compete in real races.
Basic Idea of the game:
You just got yourself a job as team manager of an average pro cycling team. At this stage, your team consists of seven riders. Your team is more or less on par ranking points with 19 other teams. The team is allowed 15 active riders and 5 inactive riders. You have a budget. You have to make your team the best in the world by the end of the season.
To be successful you have to
• Run your team within a budget
• Have a balanced team that consists of the right number of star riders and domestiques
• Know and research the professional cycling scene to scout the best riders for your team
• Be good in buying and selling riders
• Know which riders will excel in certain races and certain times of the year

Difference to other Fantasy Cycling Games
• It simulates the real cycling world
• Riders have a value and earn wages according to their past performance
• Riders can be released from the team and new riders can be contracted during the season
• There is a real life competition for riders: No rider can be in more than one team
• It includes more than a 100 races including the big stage races and classics and runs all year
• The teams need to have the right amount of star riders and domestiques to be successful
• Teams earn money according to how successful their riders are
• This money can then be used to develop the team further and earn more points for overall

How is it played?
• The game is free and the player only needs an Internet connection and Web-Browser.
• The calculations and tables are calculated by a VBA Excel Application
• The results are updated and presented on Windows Skydrive (No costs).
• The game itself is played in an Internet Group and/or this Forum and is social

How much time does it take to play?
• That depends how serious you play it. The absolute minimum would be to let the initial team run and spend 10 min per week to check results. However, to have more fun, you probably want to spend some more time on it. But you still can go for a holiday without losing the game.

Who might enjoy it?
• People who love and have passion for professional cycling all year long
• People who know or like to research results, teams, riders and races
• People who like to banter and chat with others about cycling
• People who are competitive, like to play and like to win games
• People who think they know more about pro cycling than most
Who runs it?
• My name is Markus (Game Name: Der Terminator) I am originally from Germany but lived in New Zealand for the past 20 years. I am a keen Masters cyclist with the local club. I followed professional cycling for years on several web-pages. I played and organised a number of different cycling fantasy games over the past years and always enjoyed it. I am now re-training to become a VBA Excel Programmer and the best way to learn programming is to do a project. After the TdF 2012 I set myself this goal: “Create the mother of all cycling games.” Five months later and after test playing it with two mates I think it is ready for the full roster of 20 teams. Can’t wait to beat all these cycling experts out there.
How do I join?
• Send me an email to DirSportif@xtra.co.nz
• I will then send you an invitation to the Games Group
• As soon you accept the invitation you are in the loop
• You then will have access to all the files and information needed
• You can have a look at the rules and samples of teams and result pages
• I accept 20 teams to start with but if there is more demand I might start a parallel game
• Players can join later in the season if a free space becomes available
• Players can stop the game at any time they want
• Players teams can go bankrupt and have to leave the game
• But they can re-join another game and try again

Please note that this is the first time the game is played with 20 teams. Some hick-ups in the software have to be expected but these bugs will be sorted as we go. The rules are also not set in stone and might be adjusted to allow a better game. So it is a bit of a test game. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions here.

Last edited by mutschi; 01-16-13 at 21:36. Reason: Update
Old 01-01-13, 01:13

Sounds like tons of fun Mutschi! Sending my email right now.
Old 01-01-13, 02:18

just sent mine.....
Old 01-01-13, 08:37

Thanks, it is good fun. I played it with a few mates for three months and it was great. The fun is in the flexibility. With most other fantasy games there is not much to do after you have chosen your team. This one is in constant movement. And a lot of emphasis is on new and upcoming riders so I learned heaps about many riders though playing it. Watching races is so much more fun as you always have a few guys of your team participating.
Old 01-01-13, 08:45

And I forgot - the game starts with the Tour Down Under.
Old 01-07-13, 06:46

Any ideas on a start date for when we will begin choosing teams?
Old 01-10-13, 03:09

We have about 10 players so far and need 10 more. I started to advertise the game at velogames today and the remaining spots should fill up over the next week or so. (If not we still start as the computer can play some teams until a new manager turns up and takes over).

The core of the teams (with seven riders) have been created) and we have 20 pretty even teams to start with. At the moment we create the Skydrive and Group.

We soon start with trading riders and/or buying additional riders for the teams. But the game is "open" and not everyone needs to start at the same time. It runs all year so there is plenty of time to create the best team in the world.

During the trading I ease players into the rules of the game as we start playing.

The first money and points is earned (Or lost) at the Tour Down Under.

Groups web page: http://dirsportif.groups.live.com

Any questions: dirsportif@xtra.co.nz
Old 01-11-13, 04:33

Default Rules - Part 1

It is pretty long but I copied in here anyway (had to do it on 3 parts). I also have a Word Document (better formatting) I can sent to anyone who contacts me on dirsportif@xtra.co.nz

I can also then send Excel Files that give people an idea how the game looks like and shows the first 20 teams and the riders.

Game rules

Overview
Goal of the Game
Starting with a given team of seven riders you have to create a team that will have the most points at the end of the year in the IG Market Ranking.

How is the game played?
There are three main things to do:
1. Observe
2. Research
3. Act

1. Observe

While the game is quiet complex in full flight you can slowly ease your way into the game if you want. After you are enrolled and have your team allocated all you need to do initially is to observe:

Level 1

• My teams budget (Yes, teams can go bankrupt and will be eliminated from the game)
• My team’s points (Am I doing well or do I need better riders?)
• The number of Domestiques in my team has to be positive (see details further down)

Resources: Three Excel tables (“rAllRidersWeb, rTeamSummary and your teams Budget table) will help you to keep an eye on this

You don’t have to do anything if you don’t want to. Your existing team riders will enter real life races and hopefully earn some points and money for you. The Tables are updated whenever the IG Market Ranking is updated – usually once per week.
However, it makes sense to slowly add more riders to your team because more riders usually earn more money and points. But take your time. It is easy to buy a new rider but can cost you money to get rid of them. (More below)

Level 2 Observation

• Other Teams Points, Budgets and Number of Domestiques. This will tell you if they might have to sell riders or are in need of riders
• The communication in the Newsgroup/Forum to learn who sells and buys whom
• Cyclingnews and other cycling related news to know more about riders: Who is injured, who is in-form, who has been banned, who will take part in what races

2. Research

Before you act it might be a good idea to do some research but this point can be skipped if you feel you know it all.

• Researching past history of your own riders regarding certain races and peak performances. This will help you to decide if certain riders should be on the active or inactive list of your team, or maybe even sold. It also helps you to find the right time to buy or sell a certain rider.
• Research past history of riders you want to buy for your team.
• Research young and upcoming riders in order to “scout” them first before other teams get them.

Resources include CV Ranking, past results, IG Market Ranking, Wikipedia and more

3. Act

These are four actions you can do:

1. Buy Rider from Market
2. Release Rider to Market
3. Buy Rider from other Team
4. Move Rider between active and inactive list

Below you find all the details which can be a bit overwhelming but hopefully it is clear by now that you don’t need to rush into it and you don’t need to know everything from day one. You don’t have to learn all the rules immediately to play the game. You can just observe, chat, ask questions, research before you finally act. You can learn from other players’ mistakes who rush into it.

Please continue with Part 2
Old 01-11-13, 04:36

Default Rules - Part 2

IG Market Ranking
The backbone of the whole game is the IG Market Ranking list. (http://igcycling.com/the-ig-cycling-index/). The IG World Rankings is a weekly updated list of the best riders in the past year. Unlike the UCI ranking, the IG ranking always goes back one year from today and uses much more races. It also rates traditional races with historical status higher. It reflects the real world of cycling more than the UCI list that wants to push new races worldwide.
Excel 2010
The game is programmed in VBA Excel and all results are shown in Excel 2010 Files. If you don’t have Excel 2010 you can view the files on Skydrive or you might to want download the free Excel Viewer from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=10
The Excel Tables
You start with four tables that contain all the information you need for the game. I will add more tables as we go but they are not essential – just more tools for research and additional reports and graphs to make it more fun.
The four tables get updated after every update of the IG Market Ranking, usually once per week.
The tables can be sorted and filtered by using the arrows below the column header. Play around with it and you will soon find out how it works. It is pretty cool. By combing filters and orders you can squeeze out any possible information you can imagine.
You will have a copy of the original so you can mess around with them as much as you want as you will get a new one every week. You don’t relay or enter any information via the tables. This is done by email. The tables are just for reading and researching.
“rTeamSummary”
• Ranking of the Teams in the game
• Which teams belongs to which manager (still to be added)
• Points and Price money earned in the last period
• Your available money (Budget)
• Estimated end of the month earnings (Remember: estimated)
• Team Balance Status (Balance between star riders and domestiques)

“rAllRidersWeb” – this list starts with 200 riders and is identical with the IG Market rider at the start. But each week new riders will make the top 200 and “old” riders will fall out of the IG Market list. But the “old” riders will stay in the “rAllRidersWeb” and contain all the riders who have been in the top 200 this year. So the list will get longer every week. Why I do this is explained further down.
• Rank of riders according to the IG Market Ranking
• Status of riders – current top 200 or “old” top 200
• Name, Team, Current Points, Current Value and Wages of riders
• Amount of Price Money in last period
• Current Rider Sponsor Money (RSM) for each rider (only for top 40 riders)
• Total earned money of each rider for the year and since he is in that particular team
• Number of domestiques needed for that rider (no number means he is a domestiques himself)
“TransferLog”
A log book for all transfers. I fill that in after players decide to “act” – meaning to buy, sell, or move riders. These actions will be communicated via email between players. No player fills in the Logbook. All the transactions in the Logbook will be executed after each period (see below). You as a player use this Logbook to check if your actions have been logged correctly and to update yourself about who does what.
“Individual Team sheets e.g “Nuts Nuts Nuts.xlsx”
Most of the information is already summed up in the “rTeamSummary”. The Team sheet gives you a detailed record of all financial transactions of your team. More importantly, it shows you the status of the active and inactive rider list. In other words you see if there are available spots in your team and in what list. It also shows you the value and wages from when you bought a rider which is different to the current value and wages.

Points + Money
The team with the most team points at the end of the season will win. There will be several minor competition within that e.g best Classics team, Grand Tours. Ideally, you want to have riders that move up that ranking during the year because lower ranked riders are cheaper to buy, cost less wages and need less domestiques to start with. To win the game you have to optimize the costs and earnings of riders with the points they deliver. It is not necessarily the best tactics to buy a top rider for your team. Price money, for example, is only paid on the increase in points in the rankings after each update. So, if a rider won a race last year and wins it again he does not earn price money as he hasn’t improved in the ranking. However, it might still be beneficial to have top riders in your team because the top riders earn your team a lot of Rider Sponsor Money and bring your team lots of points.
Budget
Every team has an initial starting budget of 1 Million Euros. The initial teams consist of seven riders which were distributed to the 20 teams in a way that they have about the same team points to start from. However, to make the game more interesting and interactive, I decided to allow an all-season transfer period . That’s where your skills will come in. Within the given budget you have to slowly improve your team by selling and buying riders. However, you can still win the game without selling any of your riders. You can have a maximum of 15 active and 5 inactive riders in your team.
The team has monthly expenses for financing and administration.
Riders have to be purchased from the market or from other teams. Wages have to be paid to them. Riders can be released to the market (No Income) or sold to other teams (Income).
Earning Money
There will be five different ways of earning money for a team:
• Price Money from increase in the ranking between updates
• Rider Sponsor Money for the top 40 riders in the ranking (200.000 – 1000 Euro per month) – can change during the season according to economic situation.
• Team Sponsor Money for all teams depending on their standings at the end of the month (60.000 – 3.000) – can change during the season according to economic situation.
• Gain through selling a rider for more than you paid for him
• Gain through buying a rider outside the Top 200 (off the ranking list) and capitalising on him when he makes the ranking. This is a very exciting option for the skilled Manager.

Details:

1. Price Money (PM in Tables) is earned by your riders in real races. The amount is based on the IG Market Scoring System. Important: Price Money is calculated by the increase in points x 150 Euro between two updates. Example: A rider sits on 600 points on 1st of March. He does a race on the 3rd of March and comes 3rd. If he didn’t do that race the previous season or ranked lower than 3rd his ranking points will increase to, for example, 650 points. He will earn 50 x 150 Euro = 7500 Euro. If, however, he was 3rd or better in the year before in that race his ranking won’t increase and he won’t earn any price money for that period.
2. Rider Sponsor Money (RSM) is paid to your team if a rider enters Top 40. It is paid at the end of each month and the rider has to be in your team at that point of time. Obviously, getting your riders into the Top 40 is one important way to fund your team but not the only one.
3. Team Sponsor Money (TSM) is paid to your team at the end of each month. As higher your team is ranked as more you get.
4. Selling a rider with profit. You can offer a rider to other teams and gain money if you sell them for more than you paid for. This is a difficult decision and will require a lot of skills because you lose the points for this rider and all his future earnings. At the end of the day you win the game with points, not with money. So money is only the means to develop your team in order to gain more points.
5. Off list purchases. This is the most exciting part of the game. Most other games deal with the stars of cycling and they are easy to pick. But to have a star-studded team you need lots of money and the reality is that most teams don’t have lots of money to simply buy the known stars. Therefore you have to buy the future stars. You can buy any professional cyclist for your team – not only the riders on the IG Market Ranking. Any Rider off the list cost 20.000 Euros and has a wage of 2.000 Euros. Cheap. However, as long he is not in the top 200 this rider won’t earn any money for your team. And he will be hard to sell too. However, if he makes the ranking and comes to sudden fame you cash in. As soon he makes the ranking his points will shoot up to around 450 – 500 points. As he starts from 0 points he will earn 500 x 150 Euro = 75.000 Euro. And he might rise further during the year within the ranking. Important: This cash-in works only when a rider enters the Top 200 for the first time in this year. If a rider falls out of the top 200 he becomes an “old” rider (with “old” being entered in the status column of the” rAllRidersWeb” Table.) Therefore, always double check if an off list rider has been in the top 200 previously, before you buy him.
Old 01-11-13, 04:41

Default Rules - Part 3

Team Balance
We all know that real cycling teams need domestiques to be successful. That’s why this will be part of the game. The “rAllRidersWeb” Table has a column titled “No. of Domestiques required” which shows this number for each rider. For example, Tom Boonen needs 4 domestiques. If a rider has no number he is a domestiques.
The “rTeamSummary” Table has two columns labelled “Team Balance” and shows the number of surplus domestiques. As soon this number goes below Zero you have to restructure your team and get the balance right again. Actually, it is better to do that before it goes below zero to allow more time. The program calculates the balance but you have to act. How? By either increasing domestiques or taking star riders off the active roster or by selling star riders. If you don’t do it yourself the program will do it for you but the program might do it in a way that is not the best for your team so better you do it yourself before it is too late.
Active and Inactive List
15 Spots on the Active List and 5 Spots on the inactive list. But at the moment, practically, it is more like 4 spots on the inactive list. At this stage I can’t swap riders (will add that feature later). So when you want to swap two riders from active to inactive list it will be two transactions and you need an empty spot to park (see more below under “Move to other list” under Transactions.) So don’t fill up all 20 spots, only 19. As long the active list is not full, new riders automatically go on that list. If it is full new riders will go on the inactive list. A player can move riders between the lists after each period like all other transfers.
Only riders on the active list can earn any money and contribute to the team balance. Riders on the inactive list still cost wages. What is it good for then? Many things (see below). It just adds some flexibility.
1. Injured riders or riders serving a ban can be put on the inactive list and be replaced for a certain period
2. If the Team Balance is in danger star riders can be swapped for domestiques temporarily
3. Special Riders (e.g Climbers, Classic Specialists, Sprinters) can be kept on the inactive list until their kind of races comes up.
4. Riders who are for sale can be put on the inactive list until they are sold.

Periods

The game is updated in periods. A period is the time between two updates of the IG Market Ranking list. After every period the new points of all players and teams are calculated and the price money is calculated and added to the balance of each team. A team gets therefore paid after each period (PM) and after each month (RSM and TSM) so there is a constant flow of income. Costs are calculated and subtracted after each month except costs involved with transferring riders.
All transfer actions (see below) are executed after each period and after the new points and PM is calculated and paid. This is important to know when it comes to buying and selling riders. Teams have to agree to a deal before the end of the period and the deal has to be entered into the TransferLog before the end of the period. However, the deal is only executed after the period. This means that all money earned by a rider for this period will go to his old team. Even more importantly, if a team buys an off the list rider they have to wait until after that period to get that rider. If that rider jumped into the list at the end of the period the team will miss out on the cash for that. That is an added risk but it avoids that team mangers simply buy a rider after he had a great result in one week and speculate he will make the list.

Some actions are taken in a monthly rhythm: Costs are paid monthly, RSM and TSM are paid monthly. While monthly, it is not exactly at the end of the month but will be combined with the first period update of the next month e.g if the Ranking gets updated on the 5th day of a month the payments of the last month will be included in that.

Wages

Wages are usually 10% of the purchasing costs per month. The wages stay fixed unless the rider is sold or released back to the market. Then the new wages get re-calculated to 10% of the agreed sale price or 10% of the market value (which is calculated by the computer according to the rider’s points). This works in favour of sourcing cheap talented riders as their wage stays cheap as long they stay in their team, even if they rise to top 40 riders and earn lots of money. If a manger buys a top 40 rider from the market the wages are quiet high and stay that high even if the rider drops in the rankings and looses all its sponsor money. Team Mangers have to consider that when buying highly ranked riders. While they earn instant sponsor money it can be a huge liability if the rider underperforms or gets injured or banned. Again, the game is reflecting reality.

If a rider moves to another team the seller and the buyer have to pay the monthly wages for that rider for that month in which the transaction happen. The computer deducts the wages automatically from both teams.

If a rider gets released to the market by a team the full monthly wage gets deducted, no matter when in the month the rider leaves the team.