Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-09-13, 09:02

So here we are...Oprah to the rescue -> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arms...-oprah-winfrey
Old 01-10-13, 02:12

If anyone can give a summary of tonights 60 minutes sports episode for those of us who won't be able to see it that would be greatly appreciated.

There was so much evidence staring everybody in the face and yet so many people wanted to believe the beautiful lie, rather than the ugly truth. -Alex Gibney
Old 01-10-13, 03:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatclimber View Post
If anyone can give a summary of tonights 60 minutes sports episode for those of us who won't be able to see it that would be greatly appreciated.
Good rundown here

https://twitter.com/nyvelocity
Old 01-10-13, 03:54

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...sj_share_tweet

Good explanation of why many in the Pro Peloton are so scared to question Lance

Quote:
A few years ago I was at a dinner with a star pro cyclist—a guy who still races, and has won multiple Tour de France stages—and he spoke with slack-jawed awe about Armstrong's life. Not the bike racing part. The private jet part. The audiences with world leaders. The celebrity girlfriends. This bike racer was young and rich and in his prime and yet to him, Armstrong just kicked it on a completely different, interplanetary level. He didn't talk about Lance Armstrong like Lance Armstrong was a cyclist. He talked about Lance Armstrong like Lance Armstrong was Beyoncé.
Old 01-10-13, 04:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...sj_share_tweet

Good explanation of why many in the Pro Peloton are so scared to question Lance
Quote:
A few years ago I was at a dinner with a star pro cyclist—a guy who still races, and has won multiple Tour de France stages—and he spoke with slack-jawed awe about Armstrong's life. Not the bike racing part. The private jet part. The audiences with world leaders. The celebrity girlfriends. This bike racer was young and rich and in his prime and yet to him, Armstrong just kicked it on a completely different, interplanetary level. He didn't talk about Lance Armstrong like Lance Armstrong was a cyclist. He talked about Lance Armstrong like Lance Armstrong was Beyoncé.
We should figure out who is talked to because that rider is surely on the sauce.
Old 01-10-13, 06:18

Quote:
Holy Sh!t! This is a bombshell:

Quote:
Next, tour de Suisse, TH talking about cover up by UCI. TT says he heard the same from Saugy at a dinner. TT says Saugy told him LA samples indicative of EPO use, was instructed by UCI to meet with LA and JB to explain how test works.TT : did you give Armstrong and Bruyneel the keys to defeat the epo test? Saugy: nods head yes.
But if this is true, why couldn’t TT include it in the charging letter? I guess because it was his word vs. Saugy’s? Yet he’s not afraid to publicize it now? Will Saugy deny? Will he sue? Stay tuned.
Old 01-10-13, 10:10

Quote:
Cheers for that.
Old 01-10-13, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
Holy Sh!t! This is a bombshell:

But if this is true, why couldn’t TT include it in the charging letter? I guess because it was his word vs. Saugy’s? Yet he’s not afraid to publicize it now? Will Saugy deny? Will he sue? Stay tuned.

Additional witnesses and evidence have surfaced over last few months, so maybe he has some additional back up that he didn't have earlier. Or maybe this info wasn't needed since Lance gave up his right to contest USADA. Or maybe it's more important this info be used in the Hog proceedings?
Old 01-10-13, 12:00

Excellent reporting by NY Velocity there, thanks.

Sounds like 60min did an outstanding job packing as much as possible into 60mins. And getting a bit of detail we didn't know yet. And now it's out there in the MSM!
I wonder if Oprah will be able to still use this for her infomercial with Lance. May have been recorded already. Wish it's not. Else my Austin spy is going to have it.
Old 01-10-13, 12:15

Yes this is the bit that was originally missing in the reasoned decision, ie the real meat on UCI complicity in the LA case. Of course the reasoned decision was never about UCI per se.

With the Oprah interview now scheduled, the UCI investigation under way, Tygart has obviously decided now is as good a time as any to go public with this part of the story.

I am not sure if a "Showtime" disclosure will achieve sufficient media pick up on what is essentially explosive testimony that should see the end of Pat & Hein.

Nevertheless let's see how this is picked up by the media, the "independent" investigation, Oprah, and whether additional juice will come out in the next few weeks or so...

Riveting stuff.