UCI WorldTour Fantasy - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Games and Fantasy Cycling

Games and Fantasy Cycling Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Old 01-07-12, 11:28

Default UCI WorldTour Fantasy

UCI World Tour Cycling

I. Short version

This is a fantasy league in which you take over one of the 18 World Tour teams, sign up to 30 riders in a series of auctions, and give them multi-year contracts within your total salary cap.

Then you choose 8/9 guys to score for you in each race based on the real-life results, and redo the bidding for riders out of contract and neo-pros each January.

I'm organizing this together with profsl.com - a bunch of American guys who know a bit about cycling and A LOT about advanced fantasy games. We keep it simple so that their heads don't explode, but if this goes well we could easily add more features/races/teams next year.

II. Long version

The rules are not set in stone, this is the first draft.

Salary Caps
Each team starts with zero riders and is equally rich. It can spend 5M per year on salaries. Each team can have at most 30 riders and will start with 3-5 keepers from the real-life team, with real-life salaries.

FA Bidding
Bids are in format of total contract value. The minimum bid is 30k and the minimum increment is 10k. Note that the number of years does not need to be listed until the bid is won. The resulting salary will be the final bid divided by number of years, rounded up to the next 10k. The winning bid will be the highest total contract amount.

Whether each player is auctioned in a separate thread at the ProFSL website or with a one time secret bid is being discussed, see the brainstorming thread.

Contracts
Bidding will be done for players before the league starts and as well as during free agency each following winter. You will be bidding on the whole amount of the contract. Example: If a team bids 4M for Cadel Evans, then that declares that the entire value of his contract is 4M, and they can still choose between 1 year 4M, 2 years 2M per, or 3 years 1.34M per. If he retires earlier, tough luck. Contract guidelines are:

Salary range, Maximum Years
100k or less (per year) = 1 year
110k - 990k = 2 years
1M or higher = 3 years

Example: Astana sign Andy Schleck for 2.4M. Based on this amount, they are only able to sign him to a contract up to 2 years, because if Andy's total salary was broken down over 3 years, it would only be 800k per year, not the 1M that is required for a 3 year contract. Nevertheless, if the bid was won at 2.4M then a higher total contract amount can be awarded.

Scoring System
Until the evening before the race (until 23h59 local time), every team chooses 8 riders (9 for the Grand Tours) that represent them in this race. Only these riders will score points if they do well IRL. These points are added up in the individual ranking. According to the UCI rules, the team ranking is obtained by adding up the points obtained by the five best riders in the individual ranking. The ranking of teams in the event of a tie will be determined by the place of their best rider in the individual ranking.

Trades
Two teams can at any point exchange riders and their contracts, as long as it keeps them within the salary cap. The added dimensions would be e.g. taking a risk on a rider you saw shine in a lesser race, or dumping big salaries in preparation for next year's free agency.

Free agents
With enough salary cap space and enough space on the team bus, you can always start an auction for a free rider during the season. You're required to inform all other teams about this.

Teams to choose from, a quick overview of scoring rules, and the calendar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_UCI_World_Tour

In case registration goes slowly, we might want to forget Tour Down Under this year.

III. What to do

1. Take a look at the league page: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?board=1107.0
1. Create an account on profsl.com
2. PM me @Garfield there (as in: not here) using this format:

email:
#1 favourite team:
#2 favourite team:
#3 favourite team:
#4 favourite team:
#5 favourite team:

(I don't believe in any first come first serve crap, so instead I'll try to decide fairly once everybody lets me know. You'll find the 18 available teams in the Wiki link above.)
Old 01-22-12, 11:27

The game has started, but there are still 2 teams available.
Old 01-27-12, 11:08

This kid still up for adoption. They say he has some talent.

Old 09-30-12, 10:33

Season 1 is finishing in roughly two weeks. It's safe to say it has been a huge success so far. We're all looking forward to 2013 already, with some new features: more races, possibly more GM's (we were 18 this year, but it's not really fixed), possibly a neo-pro draft, and brand new wave of exciting auctions starting from November 1. If you'd like to join, send me a PM on ProFSL and/or check out the league for yourself: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?board=1107.0
Old 10-02-12, 16:30

I've enjoyed this first season. Certainly gave me a new angle on watching the races when I was rooting for those that would get me points.

The auctions will be great again, I am sure. And then the new cycling season will be right around the corner - this time with HC races also being part of the game!
Old 10-13-12, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fus087 View Post
I've enjoyed this first season. Certainly gave me a new angle on watching the races when I was rooting for those that would get me points.

The auctions will be great again, I am sure. And then the new cycling season will be right around the corner - this time with HC races also being part of the game!
How do new people join?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
Old 10-26-12, 21:26

One open spot. Auctions begin November 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustienordic View Post
How do new people join?
Just click on the link above, and post in the sign-up sheet.
Old 11-13-12, 16:44

15 teams on board, but hopefully we can find 2-3 more persons!
Old 11-13-12, 16:52

I'd like to join in. Is there still room available for me?
Old 01-10-13, 09:43

As we enter year 2 of the first and only cycling league on ProFSL, next week we'll hold an expansion draft for any new managers. This is officially the last opportunity to join before the 2013 season.

If you'd like to join, check out the league for yourself: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?board=1107.0