Hot racing coming up in Australia - Page 11 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-10-13, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
I don't mind the course for the road race but I hope they mix it up in the future. I don't see the point in having the titles in the same place every year. Towns and cities should bid for it like other sporting events. It's getting a bit monotonous. Ballarat is a good place for cycling but more variety needed.
I agree. We had it over here in SA for a couple of years, but Ballarat took it back. Suspect CA has a Victorian power block. It may be a sponsorship issue.
Old 01-10-13, 11:16

Cam Meyer showing good form winning the crit. Add him to the contenders for the RR, last year, if I remember right, he just went away a little too soon.
Old 01-10-13, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Why would a time trialist skip the TT and time trial his way to a criterium win? Who cares about the crit title.
Because he's preparing solely for RR ?
Old 01-10-13, 11:35

Meyer was dominant in criterium win, but unsurprisingly the press gets carried away. Lets not forget that a) the Road race is a different kettle of fish to the criterium b) Criterium and Madison style racing is Meyer's bread and butter and c) races like the Giro and TdF are a massive jump.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.

Last edited by auscyclefan94; 01-10-13 at 11:42.
Old 01-10-13, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
I agree. We had it over here in SA for a couple of years, but Ballarat took it back. Suspect CA has a Victorian power block. It may be a sponsorship issue.
Not at all. It is because the race in Victoria gets great crowds, Ballarat has been willing to put the money into it and the course is great as it always provides an exciting race.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 01-10-13, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Not at all. It is because the race in Victoria gets great crowds, Ballarat has been willing to put the money into it and the course is great as it always provides an exciting race.
Other states would get good crowds too. It's not as if Victoria is the only state with cycling fans and sponsors. It's fair for the riders too, to get different courses.
Old 01-10-13, 13:50

Well if Ballarat are continuing to put the money in it makes sense. It's all good talking about change but unless there's actually a viable alternative it means nothing. Are there even any stories of someone bidding, unsuccessfully, and why they were denied?
Old 01-10-13, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Well if Ballarat are continuing to put the money in it makes sense. It's all good talking about change but unless there's actually a viable alternative it means nothing. Are there even any stories of someone bidding, unsuccessfully, and why they were denied?
I know the last time it was up for grabs the Gold Coast bid (as did others I believe), however the funding from Ballarat/Victorian regional tourism is enough to keep them in front. I also believe the fact that Jayco being a major sponsor and being a Victorian based concern also helps keep it in state.

Personally, I'd love to see them run the finish circuit around Bathurst race track, a good loop finishing on the track finish line and would give the wider non-cycling public a reference point. Whilst Renshaw still wouldn't be happy with the hill at least he wouldn't have to travel far.
Old 01-10-13, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
Other states would get good crowds too. It's not as if Victoria is the only state with cycling fans and sponsors. It's fair for the riders too, to get different courses.
The evidence doesn't suggest that it would be as good as Victorian crowds.
Old 01-10-13, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCutter View Post
I know the last time it was up for grabs the Gold Coast bid (as did others I believe), however the funding from Ballarat/Victorian regional tourism is enough to keep them in front. I also believe the fact that Jayco being a major sponsor and being a Victorian based concern also helps keep it in state.

Personally, I'd love to see them run the finish circuit around Bathurst race track, a good loop finishing on the track finish line and would give the wider non-cycling public a reference point. Whilst Renshaw still wouldn't be happy with the hill at least he wouldn't have to travel far.
I like the race being here in Victoria and Ballarat and the organisers can probably take some credit in raising the profile of the National Championships BUT I do like your idea of Bathurst. For those of us who have watched the car racing over the years, it would be fascinating to hear Keenan call of Gerrans leading into Conrad Straight and Porte and Sutton chasing him down :-) We see the V8's roar up the hill there but how difficult would the Bathurst climb be to pro's doing it a number of times?

Would be interesting to see a market framed for Sunday's RR. Would the top 5 look like this;
$5 Gerrans
$6.50 Porte
$7 Hass
$8 Meyer
$12 Lloyd

Others who might be up in the market could include Sutton, Durbridge, Clarke, Clarke, Dennis.....who else?

Haven't got a start list in front of me, so might be missing a few who should be obvious.