U.S. Politics - Page 617 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6161  
Old 01-10-13, 02:55
BroDeal's Avatar
BroDeal BroDeal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Above 5000 feet
Posts: 12,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
but only the pools with a deep end, really. i'm not against wading pools
a pool with a deep end is a high capacity pool. They kill hundreds every year. When will the insanity stop.
__________________
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
Reply With Quote
  #6162  
Old 01-10-13, 03:47
Hugh Januss's Avatar
Hugh Januss Hugh Januss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: socal
Posts: 5,943
Default

You guys are 'tards. Cars kill, swimming pools kill, drugs and drinking kill, texting kills, yet all of these things have laws that try to reduce the danger that they represent. The minute anyone begins talking about laws to try to reduce gun danger you guys all go bat**** crazy. If only non crazy people are allowed to have guns I don't think any of the "somebody comes in my home and I'm opening up with automatic weapons on his ***" crowd would qualify.
__________________
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
Reply With Quote
  #6163  
Old 01-10-13, 04:06
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
a pool with a deep end is a high capacity pool. They kill hundreds every year. When will the insanity stop.
High capacity bathtubs? Yeah, you guessed it. Nearly 200 kids a year are claimed by these horrible WMD's.

Who the **** needs a bathtub when we have showers? Bann them already.

How about childhood deaths attributed to postpartum depression? It's estimated that this condition effects 10 to 15% of all new mothers. All to often this ends in tragedy for the child and/or the mum.

Much needed child birth control. A national registry of all women of childbearing age to screen for depression and bipolar conditions. No soup for you.

Time to get serious to protect the kids.
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #6164  
Old 01-10-13, 04:09
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
You guys are 'tards. Cars kill, swimming pools kill, drugs and drinking kill, texting kills, yet all of these things have laws that try to reduce the danger that they represent. The minute anyone begins talking about laws to try to reduce gun danger you guys all go bat**** crazy. If only non crazy people are allowed to have guns I don't think any of the "somebody comes in my home and I'm opening up with automatic weapons on his ***" crowd would qualify.

In this world there can be no danger. It's against the law.
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #6165  
Old 01-10-13, 06:33
Hugh Januss's Avatar
Hugh Januss Hugh Januss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: socal
Posts: 5,943
Default

'Tards......
__________________
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
Reply With Quote
  #6166  
Old 01-10-13, 07:33
Merckx index's Avatar
Merckx index Merckx index is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Meaning you think you're smarter than they were. You are not. Trust me on that point.
I'm not smarter than Isaac Newton was, but I know a lot of physics that he didn't know. I'm not smarter than some of the great philosophers in the past, but advances in neuroscience since their time allow me to assert that many of their beliefs have been invalidated. Thomas Jefferson might have been one of the fairer and more compassionate men of his time, but he owned slaves. GW might have had a burning desire for equality, but he had no problem banning women from voting.

It's called progress. Even ordinary people today know things the greatest lights of the past couldn't have conceived of.

Conservatives like to believe there are ideas that transcend time, that are true for people of all ages. I have a lot of sympathy with this view. But these ideas are very broad and general. To imagine that they might include something specific like the right to own a gun is about as absurd as believing the Bible's proscriptions on certain diets are on a par with modern knowledge of nutrition. Try the right to defend yourself, then consider the modern, civilized ways in which we defend ourselves.

The only purpose of a gun is to kill or injure another living thing. There was a time in the past when the ability of anyone to kill or injure anyone else was helpful to survival of our species, just as indiscriminate rape was. We've moved on.
Reply With Quote
  #6167  
Old 01-10-13, 09:47
rhubroma's Avatar
rhubroma rhubroma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Yeah. Home invasions never happen. Hollywood fantasy. It's not like someone could go to Google news, search for "home invasion", and bring up hundreds of incidents with times like "1 hour ago", "5 hours ago", "3 hours ago", "3 hours ago", "1 hour ago", "4 hours ago"... Oh, wait.
You mean the hundreds of instances among the billions of us? Though how are cases of suburban crime even able to be subjected to the same thought processes, as those which have been contemplated to control the gun market? You can't regulate instances of burglary, though you can limit people's access to guns. This is the pertinent issue, not the nonsense you put forth.

While the other reasons behind deaths mentioned here only demonstrate the stupidity in some people's thinking. As has been said before, what do automobile deaths (or drowning in swimming pools?!) have anything to do with murder rates by firearms? Absolutely nothing. In the first place neither cars, nor swimming pools are specifically designed to kill. Hence a firearm comes with its own, unique set of baggage. In every other developed state where gun regulations are stricter, guess what? Less people are killed by them. It's that simple. There's nothing tricky or specious about it. There is so much useless and ridiculously motivated regulations in place in 'Murika,' but not sensible ones for guns. America has stricter regulations for toys, than it does guns. Coming from a state that claims to be at the forefront of "safety and prevention" and with all its “health and fitness” madness, this is merely grotesque and absurd. If I were to ride without a helmet people would get offended and think I was mad, though if I'm readily packing heat there's nothing to get all worked up about. The place is truly a land of bizarre, and often perverse, contradictions.

So, like I said, everything else is just the BS the NRA wants everyone to believe without compunction and in their own appalling interests, while the next gun mass murder is just around the corner. Had the gun regulations been what they are here, no way does that kid gets ahold of the arsenal he had such easy access to, and no way do those kids get slaughtered in the manner that they did. No way. This truth alone should silence the NRA and people like yourselves. The fact that it doesn't only means they and you are the outspoken accomplices of killers.

My personal deploring of guns has got nothing to do with what is statistically a proven fact: namely, stricter regulations (which obviously doesn't mean zero access to guns) is an effective means to lower firearms murders. If the state is so interested in the safety of its citizenry - and in America it always claims that it is - then this fact should be borne in mind (as it is in all the other developed countries). Even if this would not be effective immediately in America, it would long term; while such a motion would certainly signal a new official attitude toward possessing firearms, which is not to be treated so lightly as it has been in the past. Lightly as in going to the drug store to buy aspirin. Not all markets are good, especially one in which death is the outcome and the driving lobby is the NRA.

I can't see why you guys are blind to what is so glaringly obvious, whereas your mocking intransigence and polemical inanities to justify what is simply an intolerable state of affairs is both irresponsible and, in light of Newtown, devious and cruel. End of discussion.

PS: It’s not just about guns, but an entire glorification of potency, of a fetish with militarism and a rather puerile infatuation with machismo and being “bad a$$,” which has transformed this America into the so called first world’s premiere culture of collective psychosis. Arm to the teeth such a society and the cases of mass murder become a foregone conclusion.

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-10-13 at 09:58.
Reply With Quote
  #6168  
Old 01-10-13, 12:34
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
You mean the hundreds of instances among the billions of us? Though how are cases of suburban crime even able to be subjected to the same thought processes, as those which have been contemplated to control the gun market? You can't regulate instances of burglary, though you can limit people's access to guns. This is the pertinent issue, not the nonsense you put forth.

While the other reasons behind deaths mentioned here only demonstrate the stupidity in some people's thinking. As has been said before, what do automobile deaths (or drowning in swimming pools?!) have anything to do with murder rates by firearms? Absolutely nothing. In the first place neither cars, nor swimming pools are specifically designed to kill. Hence a firearm comes with its own, unique set of baggage. In every other developed state where gun regulations are stricter, guess what? Less people are killed by them. It's that simple. There's nothing tricky or specious about it. There is so much useless and ridiculously motivated regulations in place in 'Murika,' but not sensible ones for guns. America has stricter regulations for toys, than it does guns. Coming from a state that claims to be at the forefront of "safety and prevention" and with all its “health and fitness” madness, this is merely grotesque and absurd. If I were to ride without a helmet people would get offended and think I was mad, though if I'm readily packing heat there's nothing to get all worked up about. The place is truly a land of bizarre, and often perverse, contradictions.

So, like I said, everything else is just the BS the NRA wants everyone to believe without compunction and in their own appalling interests, while the next gun mass murder is just around the corner. Had the gun regulations been what they are here, no way does that kid gets ahold of the arsenal he had such easy access to, and no way do those kids get slaughtered in the manner that they did. No way. This truth alone should silence the NRA and people like yourselves. The fact that it doesn't only means they and you are the outspoken accomplices of killers.

My personal deploring of guns has got nothing to do with what is statistically a proven fact: namely, stricter regulations (which obviously doesn't mean zero access to guns) is an effective means to lower firearms murders. If the state is so interested in the safety of its citizenry - and in America it always claims that it is - then this fact should be borne in mind (as it is in all the other developed countries). Even if this would not be effective immediately in America, it would long term; while such a motion would certainly signal a new official attitude toward possessing firearms, which is not to be treated so lightly as it has been in the past. Lightly as in going to the drug store to buy aspirin. Not all markets are good, especially one in which death is the outcome and the driving lobby is the NRA.

I can't see why you guys are blind to what is so glaringly obvious, whereas your mocking intransigence and polemical inanities to justify what is simply an intolerable state of affairs is both irresponsible and, in light of Newtown, devious and cruel. End of discussion.

PS: It’s not just about guns, but an entire glorification of potency, of a fetish with militarism and a rather puerile infatuation with machismo and being “bad a$$,” which has transformed this America into the so called first world’s premiere culture of collective psychosis. Arm to the teeth such a society and the cases of mass murder become a foregone conclusion.

Illustrating absurdity by being absurd really grates on you. Good.

Still lost on you is both the concept of cause and effect and basic human nature. Still looking for your utopia. Good luck.
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #6169  
Old 01-10-13, 13:05
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
I'm not smarter than Isaac Newton was, but I know a lot of physics that he didn't know. I'm not smarter than some of the great philosophers in the past, but advances in neuroscience since their time allow me to assert that many of their beliefs have been invalidated. Thomas Jefferson might have been one of the fairer and more compassionate men of his time, but he owned slaves. GW might have had a burning desire for equality, but he had no problem banning women from voting.

It's called progress. Even ordinary people today know things the greatest lights of the past couldn't have conceived of.

Conservatives like to believe there are ideas that transcend time, that are true for people of all ages. I have a lot of sympathy with this view. But these ideas are very broad and general. To imagine that they might include something specific like the right to own a gun is about as absurd as believing the Bible's proscriptions on certain diets are on a par with modern knowledge of nutrition. Try the right to defend yourself, then consider the modern, civilized ways in which we defend ourselves.

The only purpose of a gun is to kill or injure another living thing. There was a time in the past when the ability of anyone to kill or injure anyone else was helpful to survival of our species, just as indiscriminate rape was. We've moved on.
The vast majority of gun owners kill nothing living. Trap and skeet, target shooting, etc. Guns are enjoyment for many millions of people who exercise their right responsibly.

Using your logic Bourbon is only manufactured for one reason. Most enjoy Bourbon responsibly but it does contain a drug that has a serious dark side. And because the world has advanced to a point where there can be no unintended consequences that come with basic freedoms then what are we to do?

There are thousands of examples like this and it is a slippery slope. Freedom is a tricky thing, isn't it?
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #6170  
Old 01-10-13, 14:17
rhubroma's Avatar
rhubroma rhubroma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Illustrating absurdity by being absurd really grates on you. Good.

Still lost on you is both the concept of cause and effect and basic human nature. Still looking for your utopia. Good luck.
No Scott, the only one absurd is you. Look at the statistics. Human nature isn't monolithic. There are plenty examples of more civil societies in this regard to take lessons from. What is so glaringly obvious to Europeans is completely lost on people like yourself. Every other country with stricter gun regulations, has fewer homicides, suicides and injuries related to firearms. It’s that simple Scott. It's not rocket science. You talk about "cause and effect," but it's the most straightforward connection that escapes you.

Now this is either because you are willfully insolent, or a blockhead. Whereas such fanatical adherence to an ideology, when there have been repeated incidences of mass murder, is simply pathetic and above all condemnable. You don't think regulating the gun market has any bearing on homicide rates? Where's your evidence of this? It doesn't exist.

Utopia's got nothing to do with. Taking sensed a practical measures do. I don't expect to achieve a no guns society, but having decidedly less around surely wouldn't be a bad thing, because having such staggering numbers in circulation only means increasing the probability that gun violence will be a daily fact of Americana, in proportions that are certainly unacceptable from a nation that self-claims a position of global primacy in matters of democracy and civility. Everything else is plain nonsense.

I'm interested in seeing the number of kids getting slaughtered because it was all too easy for some mentally deranged dude to arm himself like a marine diminish. While I certainly don't want the State to foster this legally, by legitimizing all too lax gun regulations. This, however, is precisely what we have in the land of the Far West. Above all it is absurd that a group such as the NRA is allowed to have such an outspoken voice in this debate. It is merely driven by profit interests and an ideology to take care of them. Acquiescing to their demands, indulging in their ridiculous logic, is a terrible indication of just how misguided and foolish the radical elements of US society have become, and how irresponsible.

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-10-13 at 14:44.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.