U.S. Politics - Page 619 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-10-13, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
um, that's exactly what's being discussed now, reasonable restrictions on guns and armament. But as we see with just about everything else, like say climate change and carbon taxes or health care, the knee-jerk reaction of the conservative right is to resist it solely because it involves government.

Freedom!

Pray tell, what other developed country that has introduced sensible gun control regulations has experienced this problem? Canada? Australia? Japan? Any in western Europe?

But it is fun to watch you guys on the right dream up these absurd hypothetical scenarios based on little more than hysterical paranoia and too many viewings of Red Dawn. Do you see why we really, really don't want you guys to be armed?

Totally agree. Let's address the real problems. There's one real problem that we can address quite quickly and easily - reducing the flood of military-grade armaments by banning the sale and ownership of military-grade guns, body armor, armor-piercing bullets, high-capacity magazines, etc. There. One of the real problems addressed. Now we can move on to addressing some of the other root problems, like - for example - reducing crime by reducing poverty and income inequality. I'm sure there won't be a knee-jerk resistance from the right about that, eh?
Quote:
um, that's exactly what's being discussed now
You mean bypassing the legislative branch and going straight to executive order? You mean that?

Quote:
the knee-jerk reaction of the conservative right is to resist it solely because it involves government.
Our Government is exceptionally corrupt. Is that news to you?

Quote:
Freedom!
Yes. As opposed to tyranny. You have a choice (at least at this point in time), which would you prefer?

Quote:
Pray tell, what other developed country that has introduced sensible gun control regulations has experienced this problem? Canada? Australia? Japan? Any in western Europe?
I don't really know why you are so preoccupied with what other countries think and do. We don't live in those countries, their circumstances, in some cases, are wildly different than ours... to draw comparisons and treat it as gospel is, at a minimum, misleading.

Quote:
But it is fun to watch you guys on the right dream up these absurd hypothetical scenarios
No. What's absurd is running around with your hair on fire regarding guns when there are many, many, many more pressing issues that cause far more damage. The numbers on swimming pools and bathtubs are real. In some states, the leading cause of accidental death in children between the ages of 5 and 14 are bicycle accidents. Bicycles are a greater risk than guns. OMG, what are we to do?

Quote:
Do you see why we really, really don't want you guys to be armed?
I'm un-armed (as in I don't own a gun). But maybe you can see why someone like me has serious concerns with someone like you being in power.

Quote:
There's one real problem that we can address quite quickly and easily - reducing the flood of military-grade armaments by banning the sale and ownership of military-grade guns, body armor, armor-piercing bullets, high-capacity magazines, etc. There. One of the real problems addressed. Now we can move on to addressing some of the other root problems, like - for example - reducing crime by reducing poverty and income inequality. I'm sure there won't be a knee-jerk resistance from the right about that, eh?
Sure. It's dip **** logic, but why let that stop you? Restrict whatever you like. That will have almost no effect as that horse is already out of the barn. Then go after poverty by doing the same thing your side has always done... only this time I'm sure the results will be different, right?
Old 01-10-13, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
i'm poking a little fun at everyone in this discussion, which wouldn't be taking place if a bunch of white middle class people hadn't died. this conversation never starts on sunday morning when the morgues of cities across the country have their slabs covered with the casualties of the previous night's gang/drug wars, because we're all insulated from that.
people don't need guns, but then they don't need alcohol or any number of potentially deadly things. my cousin is dead and my oldest brother and sister are still feeling the effects of injuries sustained in a drunk driving accident 35 years ago. but we all like our drinks, so we'll just accept that risk. can't slaughter or own sacred cows can we? prohiition isn't the answer of course, and in the past 20 years drunk driving deaths have steadily declined, in large part due to education programs that have gradually changed our culture. gosh, maybe that's where we need to be starting here as well.
read the arguments, not just here but sites on both sides of the political spectrum. there are those that think they should be able to own anything they want, and there are those that think my owning a gun infringes on their rights. they're both wrong. i know that we need tougher gun laws, but i also know that hunting, target shooting and the like are perfectly fine hobbies and we need to make sure that we recognise that. our laws need to be well thought out, they need to be made by people that are truly educated on the issue and the firearms that they want to regulate, and they need to be made not out of emotion but common sense and fairness. when i see comments from the shrill old biddy section (and that covers people on both sides) i know that reasoned discourse probably ain't gonna happen. we don't have to assume that changes to the laws mean confiscation, but then there are many that are in favor of that. we aslo don't have to assume that gun owners are all nuts, because they're not. like everything else in the world, this whole issue needs common sense solutions, but more than that it needs compromise.
we also need to realize that life is a crap shoot. what is the price of safety? if we all shut ourselves up in cocoons we aren't living. a life worth living carries risks.
unfortunately i think that there are too many that see this only as a political fight, that really don't give a **** about the issue, it's just one more contest to win for the party.
and so like most of the other crap that we face today, we'll all be losers.

and so hamsterslammer, that is why i like to poke at everyone. i don't see that all of the "discussion" here really accomplishes much besides adding to climate change, but at least it's entertaining
Two excellent points. You cant legislate away pain and suffering. It is a human condition.

And make absolutely no mistake. This is pure politics.
Old 01-10-13, 18:48

More unintended consequences.

Quote:
The National Rifle Association has gained more than 100,000 new members in the past 18 days, the organization told POLITICO’s Playbook on Thursday.
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...001.html?hp=f2
Old 01-10-13, 18:58

Peter Schiff tells us what we already know.

Inflation is here and Paul Krugman is a complete moron.

http://www.schiffradio.com/g/CPI/268.html
Old 01-10-13, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...ct-gun-control

To paraphrase: we don't like the results of the last election so we may have to overthrow the elected government. With lots of bloodshed, if need be. The irony is that if it's tyranny you fear, Scott, the people you really should be afraid of are your own.

btw, I wonder if ol' Joe is willing to be the first to shed blood, or if that's just for the minions who'll put him back in power?
Old 01-10-13, 19:43

Quote:

To paraphrase: we don't like the results of the last election so we may have to overthrow the elected government. With lots of bloodshed, if need be. The irony is that if it's tyranny you fear, Scott, the people you really should be afraid of are your own.

btw, I wonder if ol' Joe is willing to be the first to shed blood, or if that's just for the minions who'll put him back in power?
Seems reasonable just like this guyhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/media/vide...s-morgan-video
Old 01-10-13, 19:44

Default Sup?

Hey have you guys got the whole bannination of the guns done yet?

I saw where ChrisE is going to be a moderator. Things have changed since I went on Holiday.

Old 01-10-13, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Hey have you guys got the whole bannination of the guns done yet?

I saw where ChrisE is going to be a moderator. Things have changed since I went on Holiday.

I haven't read much of this thread recently but from what I have it would seem pretty much at the same stage wrt bannination of guns.

Has this been posted yet?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20975608
Old 01-10-13, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom375 View Post
Or this guy.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...ontrol?ref=fpb

Quote:
James Yeager -- CEO of Tactical Response, a Tennessee-based company that specializes in firearms and tactical training -- said the White House could spark a civil war if it issues an executive order on gun control. And Yeager said he would be "glad to fire the first shot."

"I'm not ****ing putting up with this," he said in a video message posted Wednesday. "I am not letting my country be ruled by a dictator. I'm not letting anybody take my guns. If it goes one inch further, I'm gonna start killing people."
You ok with him having guns, Scott?
Old 01-10-13, 20:19

Quote:

Maybe you ought to try and take his gun from him and find out?

Are you arguing that there are nutters out there? If that's it, then we can agree on that.