U.S. Politics - Page 635 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-16-13, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
HEAD'S UP!!!

I'm going to change the title of this thread to US Politics. I'm going to change the title of the other thread to Global Politics.

I've mentioned this before and didn't get much resistance or response, so if anyone has anything to say, do so now.
Sensible, by all means go for it. I thought that we had settled on this change ages ago?
Old 01-16-13, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
They want to get rid of the big ones that are too big and inconvienient to use for crime. Brilliant.
But they look scary!!!!
Old 01-16-13, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Not everyone who can read and understand the intent of the second amendment is a NRA member. I've seen different numbers but there are something like 60 million households in the US where a gun is present.

Just like any organization.... a union for example, there will be elements and positions that people don't agree with.
Jesus Scott, "elements and positions"? *facepalm*

I'm pretty sure that a statistically significant proportion of these 60m households are people who may own one or more guns, but who do not subscribe to the agenda of this batsh!t crazy and downright evil ultra-conservative super PAC. I say evil because as I'm sure that even you will know to whose tune the money grubbing NRA dances - arms manufacturers, pedlars of death. Then, they buy off (or pay off) politicians to put the interests of the pedlars of death above all others. There is nothing remotely comparable to the NRA anywhere else, no other society is crazy enough to tolerate such an influence. It is an insidious and utterly vile body.
Old 01-16-13, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
As we know, ChrisE, we hate those who provide for us intellectually, and this is partly why hate you, I've thought, and that's because you provide for me--whether rightly or wrongly is beside the point.

We feel hatred only when we're in the wrong and because we're in the wrong. I've gotten into the habit of thinking--and saying!--that ChrisE is revolting, that Scott SoCal is equally revolting, and stupid with it, that BroDeal is a weakling and that patricknd is a pathetic fool, that they're all idiots. I use this way of thinking as weapon; this is basically contemptable, but it's probably the only way to assauge a bad conscience. You could just as well rail at me and pillory me for the same malevolence that I've discerned in you all this time. We very soon get used to hating and condemning people without ever asking ourselves whether this hatred and condemnation are in any way justified.

Why are we always more ready to dwell on the faults and foibles of others than on their virtues? I asked. But on examining the posts I was forced to revert to my earlier attitude, because they showed themsleves to be the ridiculous guys they really were. I know longer doubted that they were ridiculous. But do they deserve to be called repulsive? I asked myself. At this time? I felt ashamed but immediately told myself that we can't get outside our own heads, and so I persisted in the belief that they were both ridiculous and repulsive.
And I thought we were buddies
Old 01-16-13, 02:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
Jesus Scott, "elements and positions"? *facepalm*

I'm pretty sure that a statistically significant proportion of these 60m households are people who may own one or more guns, but who do not subscribe to the agenda of this batsh!t crazy and downright evil ultra-conservative super PAC. I say evil because as I'm sure that even you will know to whose tune the money grubbing NRA dances - arms manufacturers, pedlars of death. Then, they buy off (or pay off) politicians to put the interests of the pedlars of death above all others. There is nothing remotely comparable to the NRA anywhere else, no other society is crazy enough to tolerate such an influence. It is an insidious and utterly vile body.
Quote:
There is nothing remotely comparable to the NRA anywhere else
Yeah, that's pretty much total crap.

Of course they peddle influence as any PAC does.

Arms manufacturers are not peddlers of death when the product they make is used responsibly. And please, that's not to say we need Bazooka's publicly available.

You could make the same exact argument about Jack Daniels. At least guns can protect you from the criminal element. Jack Daniels can't even do that.
Old 01-16-13, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
And I thought we were buddies
Rhub has no friends. Fingernails on a chalkboard.

Old 01-16-13, 02:12

Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty much total crap.

Of course they peddle influence as any PAC does.

Arms manufacturers are not peddlers of death when the product they make is used responsibly. And please, that's not to say we need Bazooka's publicly available.

You could make the same exact argument about Jack Daniels. At least guns can protect you from the criminal element. Jack Daniels can't even do that.
Naah, it's just a red herring.

http://www.ncadd.org/index.php/learn...ohol-and-crime
Old 01-16-13, 04:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
I stand corrected.

If these transparent clowns wanted to do something meaningful they would control alcohol.

Alcohol Control.

Why aren't the left talking about that?
Old 01-16-13, 07:05

Quote:
I stand corrected.

If these transparent clowns wanted to do something meaningful they would control alcohol.

Alcohol Control.

Why aren't the left talking about that?
Watch out Scott, you might get what you ask for!

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-16-13 at 07:39.
Old 01-16-13, 07:06

Quote:
Rhub has no friends. Fingernails on a chalkboard.
What? You didn't find my little caricature appealing? Or appropriate?

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-16-13 at 07:34.