Are you afraid? - Page 24 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-14-13, 19:51

I suppose you're right, it does have to do with fashion, and winter clothing just tends to be dark.
Old 01-15-13, 01:21

Simple solution. I have a couple of plain jerseys and knicks that have small reflective panels on the back of the legs and the shoulders - nothing huge - and a pair of light, hi-viz wristbands.

The jersey and knicks are enough to keep me visible along with a good set of lights and the wristbands are great, as noone can say that they can't see me indicate. This makes me easily visible without having to look like a construction worker...
Old 01-15-13, 03:46

This is false equivalency it's laying blame on the cyclists rather than the motorists should should be aware of their surroundings. Maybe pedestrians should wear hi-viz on shared pathways as well?
Old 01-15-13, 05:42

You have a point, however, if a cyclist is lit up like a carousel and still gets hit by a negligent motorist then the motorist has no choice but to face responsibility for their actions when they are caught.

If I ever get hit by some angry, hungover bogan while riding early in the morning, I would like it to be blatantly obvious they are the one at fault.
Old 01-15-13, 06:01

If Australia had strict liability they would be.

Ultimately whatever cyclists do we will always be deemed 'at fault' by members of the public. If all of us were 'lit up like a carousel' I bet the blame would be that we were too 'distracting'. We can't win.
Old 01-15-13, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post
Simple solution. I have a couple of plain jerseys and knicks that have small reflective panels on the back of the legs and the shoulders - nothing huge - and a pair of light, hi-viz wristbands.

The jersey and knicks are enough to keep me visible along with a good set of lights and the wristbands are great, as noone can say that they can't see me indicate. This makes me easily visible without having to look like a construction worker...
Yeah, but what when you're just riding in your regular clothes? Those rarely come with reflecses.
But, I gotta agree that wristbands are a good idea.
Old 01-16-13, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitiser View Post
If Australia had strict liability they would be.

Ultimately whatever cyclists do we will always be deemed 'at fault' by members of the public. If all of us were 'lit up like a carousel' I bet the blame would be that we were too 'distracting'. We can't win.
A certain demographic will always try and shift blame and responsibility where ever possible but there is a certain understanding slowly building.

Look at the bogan who was convicted of attempted murder and assault for the hit and run in Brisbane late last year. There was a lot less sympathy for the driver than you would normally see.
Old 01-18-13, 10:01

In many ways it's the opposite of afraid a feel when riding my bike. I feel more free, stronger, than I do most other times.
Old 01-18-13, 22:59

I had weird experience on my commute this morning. I was slowly rounding a curve on a shared use pathway (I usually assiduously avoid these paths, but this one is very convenient for a short length). I was doing maybe 10-12 km/hr as it was cold and I was wary of frost on that particular curve because it regularly ices up.

No ice this morning, but four pedestrians in a line, blocking about 2/3 of the path were walking towards me. I was on the correct, right-hand (I'm in Canada) edge of the path and on a trajectory to pass them without incident. The gap I was aiming for was about 2m wide.

Nevertheless, as soon as they noticed me one of the pedestrians screamed/yelled in alarm and physically grabbed the person next to them as if to drag them to safety from my path. It was just ridiculous.

But this how cyclists are viewed, it seems. As out-of-control, blind uncaring juggernauts from whose path one must scurry or be dragged to safety. FFS!
Old 03-02-13, 04:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
I cycle every day.and i dont want to die. But in this country the number of cyclists killed is high. I always cycle with a helmet, lights etc, and on pavement when i can and rarely on busy roads and i cross busy roundabouts as a pedestrian rather than tackling them on my bike etc etc. But its not really about me. There are bad drivers out there, and lots of people who drive drunk or high etc.

Ive had several instances where motherless ****s have endangered my life because they see getting where they want to be 10 seconds earlier as more important then my life. A lot of the cycling deaths in the news here are caused by drunk drivers.

Sometimes i feel it would be wisest to buy a gun and shoot at the tires of anyone who behaves like this. Once stories hit the news, some of these ****s might think twice about driving into a cyclist.

Anyway the point is, i feel that the chances of having a crash with a car are high, maybe even a fatal one, especially for someone like myself who cycles every day.

Im scared. A lot of the dead are students like myself. One moment there is a future ahead of you, the next moment there is nothing.

Is anyone else scared like this?
It seems that cycling in big cities is all about the same everywhere. What you describe is what I live every day. But I don't allow my self to get afraid because this is the worst thing you can do when you ride.

The trick is to claim your place on the road and react accordingly. Usually if you are fast enough and know how to move between cars you will not have problem.

There are two other things that work for me and make me feel safer. I've always have a mirror on the bike and never use spd pedals when I ride downtown. I want to know what happens beside me and be able to drop immediately the bike in case of possible collision with a car.

These have worked for me the last 26 years. So don't let yourself be scared. Ride carefully, fast and focused with your mirror and your flat pedals and everything will be fine.