National Football League - Page 214 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-16-13, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post

Doesn’t look good for either Atlanta or Baltimore, each of which has an animal (non-human) mascot. In the 46 year history of the SB, only twice have both teams had animal mascots, Denver-Atlanta in SB 33, and Indy-Chicago in SB 41. In contrast, 19 SBs have been played between two teams with non-animal mascots, and 37 of the 46 SBs have been won by teams with non-animal mascots. There have been 25 SBs in which a team with an animal mascot met a team with a non-animal mascot, and the non-animal team has won 18 times. All the teams that have won more than two SBs – Pittsburgh, Dallas, SF, GB, NYG, Washington, NE—have non-animal mascots. This despite the fact that there are currently almost as many teams with animal mascots, 14, as teams with non-animal mascots, 18.

And while we’re on the subject of statistical oddities, I pointed out a while back that the Redskins always do much better under Republican Presidents, e.g., all five of their SB appearances came under Nixon, Reagan or Bush. So anyone who had been paying attention could have predicted that something bad would happen to RGIII.

Amster’s response to this at the time was:

If RGIII can’t play next season, and the Skins have a losing record, their fans can only wonder how different it might have been had Romney won.
Amster, you have a lot of blood…er, torn ligaments…on your hands.

There are stats nerds, then there are what we in Europe call "anoraks", and then there are NFL stats geeks like you three. Animal mascots, for Christ's sake.....

You have no idea how close I came to slitting my wrists as I contemplated my culpability in RG3's demise...but then I thought, 'no, wait, that's bull'. The only conclusion we could realistically draw from this bizarre historical statistic was that the Skins wouldn't win the SB. To infer that our QB would get crocked was taking things just a little too far in my book.

Nevertheless, I fully expect a rejuvenated and bionic 3Bob to return in time to lead us to further glory next season. My prediction for this season was that we would not finish last in the NFCE, so my expectations were already more than surpassed, and I will always look back on this season as a literal re-birth of the Redskin nation.
Old 01-16-13, 01:40

My Dads side of the family is all from West Virginia, most of them I know are Pittsburgh fans.
Old 01-16-13, 03:27

Here are the strongest QB´s from the NFL combines (2007-2012). All other numbers i´d highly suspect (as Alpe used to say "urban legends" ).
So i can only estimate from my trained eyes that RG3, Vick and Davey are the only ones (except two) to have hit the 60 mph range in the past decade. But...

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/tag/20...uting-combine/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...strongest-arm/

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2012/03/12/...ine-2008-2012/

... Still Toby Korrodi is the best of them all, by far. What a miss on the NFL. With enough reps and training (remember that backup QB´s are not far behind starters once they are allowed to gain experience; see my numbers some weeks ago), i am 100% sure he´d have made it big time. But then, NFL scouts shy away b/c he came from a small college like Kurt Warner did. And Warner wouldn´t have made it if there was no NFL europe. Scouts fail big time (remember the scene in the movie about Billy Beane), no doubt about that.

Good that Kaepernick got his chance. May b/c his HC is a former QB, so he knows a thing or two. Otherwise he might have stranded on the bench for some years and then silently disappear like sooo many other talented QB´s.

I am surprised by Cousins (didn´t know he´s that strong), Flacco (expected him stronger, see here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUVjmXq9vUk), Newton (expected him stronger) and Flynn. He has a Mirer-like-butter-arm. Now we know one reason why SEA started a rokie QB instead of him. He just can´t make the 3-4 difficult throws a game that are required in the NFL (see Simms quote: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1073314.html).

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 01-16-13 at 03:38.
Old 01-16-13, 05:50

For those who havn´t read "It´s just a bruise...", this read will be a good starter:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/1...#storylink=cpy

BTW, i am surprised that the author is "shocked". Like those journalists were shocked about the Armstrong case. I mean if they do their jobs they would know everything right away. They just need some work ethic, then they´d know of these things at least since 1990, respectively 1999.

Interesting how Taylor described the pain & the "body lock" when he had a herniated disc. It´s the same i have when i get a acute occurrence. Only that he played trou it while i had to stop playing baseball completely.

As i discussed w/Alpe in the clinic (the latest baseball thread), the numbing shots are the biggest problem*, next to the relative rare catastrophic injuries (like Byrd, Stingley, Utley). Not the concussions (the side effects of those come later in life).

And then come some idiots around like Schlereth, sitting on a stool in ESPN studios and call it "becoming touch football", when illegal hits are penalized or rules are changed. How can such moronic machos talk football (i don´t care if he is an ex-player, since he is dumb)? He just got lucky to come out of the NFL relatively healthy, while his ex-colleagues suffer silently at home.

* those lead to permanent pain (2/3 of ex-players expierience that, see my link somewhere in this 200+ pages thread ) after football, b/c serious injuries never have a chance to heal.
Old 01-16-13, 06:20
Administrator

I'm with you, not surprised, or only surprised that the writer didn't do his homework. Just Google "Jim Otto". Same story, with worse results. Agree it's the numbing shots and painkillers that are the bigger problem. It's also an organizational and coaching issue as much as a rules one. For example, the concussion Vernon Davis got this year did not result from him getting hit in the head, he wasn't. He didn't hit his head on the ground even. It was essentially a clean hit. But his QB (Kaepernick) left him out to dry and Kam Chancellor nailed him. That's a coaching problem. I also think the NFL needs to find a way to expand rosters without breaking the bank, and coaches need to adapt to that, to make use of more players in rotation. The NFL also needs to find a way to budget a cradle to grave insurance policy for all NFL vets who play X years/downs. But that's another story.

As to arm strength, I'm certain that it was a night game where they showed a speed gun on a long pass by Kaepernick and it was 62mph. I agree with Ron Jawarski on the issue of arm. It's great to have an accurate quarterback, but given the option arm strength is definitely desirable and shouldn't be dismissed. Some QB's get along fine without much of it (Tom Brady), others don't. I distinctly recall Colt Brennan coming out of Hawaii and throwing accurate passes all over the place, but he had one of the weaker arms, and never got far in the league. Tony Pike is another example. But monster arms don't mean everything. Look at JaMarcus Russell, or Jim Druckenmiller. Would love to have seen some numbers on that guy. His "goal line to goal line" throw was BS, but he had one of the strongest arms ever. Too bad he was a head case.

I'm sure arm strength came into play when Harbaugh stuck with Kaepernick over Smith. Alex isn't a noodle arm, but he's not Kaep, and I'm sure Alex will start somewhere else next season. My guess is Arizona. Buffalo is possible.

Personally I'd be happy in the league right now with someone like Russell Wilson. Not the strongest arm, but not the weakest either. Pretty accurate. Sees the field well, runs very well, keeps plays alive with scrambling. But maybe most of all he's just so positive and so dedicated. He's like the anti-JaMarcus.
Old 01-16-13, 06:46

There was an "outsider" opinion when the concussion talk started (have no link, but i remember very well):
Get the helmets off. I know it sounds absurd, but it has some merit. Rubgy players don´t fly head forward into opposing players, simply b/c they´d get paralyzed. They also don´t tackle as hard (see sports science), b/c they have no pads.
In the end the NFL has to find a way, by the simple force of the 4.000 ex-players lawsuits.
I would:
a.) introduce max. weight
b.) get rid of the numbing shots
c.) do more rule changes (heavy penalties for any head contact, tackles at knees, piling on after the whistle had blown; get rid of fumbles thus minimizing brutal piling ons; forbid jumps into the EZ by ball carriers; introduce a strictly 1-man-tackle only rule)
d.) Congress has to step in to stop greedy owners from expanding the RS schedule to 18 games

I know that sounds crazy and much. OTOH Roosevelt stepped in when players died on the field literally. So it´s possible to change the game radically...

After all, what´s your opinions? Who has bigger problems? The NFL with the lawsuits of former players and their heavy missuse of drugs and painkillers, or cycling with its ongoing doping problems?
I myself say that cycling has less problems...

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 01-16-13 at 06:49.
Old 01-16-13, 08:04

Jim Otto was seriously damaged. I want to buy his book since forever, but always there came something in between.
Another Raider comes to mind who is seriously crippled is Curt Marsh. And then some...
Plus there are the dope victims. Alzado, of course, but also the story of PIT OL Steve Courson comes to mind (http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5147,2426025) and more...
It´s all known since ages, so why in the world do "journalists" always pretend that they didn´t know and/or are shocked?

Would be interesting to know how Brock is doing nowadays (i might have asked you before, so sorry if i repeated). He suffered trou many head-to-head collisions and his spine had to absorb serious impacts.
OTOH, i´d have also played to the end. It´schizophrenic...

Edit: As Walter Payton was hailed, many of my football friends from USA, and me included, are 100% sure he died early b/c of steroid use. Same with White. There is always a dark side behind the jubilant stories. Lance Armstrongs story isn´t the only one of fallen heroes.

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 01-16-13 at 08:14.
Old 01-16-13, 08:10
Administrator

I don't know that I'd agree with all of those rules. As I said before, it's not only the rules that will make the sport safer, it's the way it's played and coached by staff to a good extent.

• Fully agree expanding the RS (or playoffs) is a bad, greed laden idea. It's a terrible idea.
• I do agree on banning numbing drugs, definitely.
•*A maximum weight is an interesting idea, but one I don't see happening.
•*Having referees blow whistles a tad sooner, and penalizing players who don't stop once the whistle is blown is an idea.
•*I still like the idea of expanding rosters.
• I don't see them ever eliminating helmets. Ever. I see them making them somewhat safer.

The fact is, and will always be, that it's a rough sport, no matter what rules they put into place, and there's no doubt the game has many more safety rules than in the past. Boxing and MMA are even rougher with less safety rules. Hockey arguably rougher. Where do you start and stop?

At least cycling is (probably) on it's way to a fairly clean era. We can hope anyway.
Old 01-16-13, 08:18

As Benotti, Hog and others would disagree, but i also think that cycling is better off (only that mainstream media doesn´t realize). I trust the numbers (less W/KG, less abnormal blood values). I enjoy it more than ever, b/c since 2008 things improved. I enjoy it while i can, b/c i know one (soon) day gene doping will be so "good", that riders take the risk. Then it´s game over forever...
Old 01-16-13, 08:21

NFL is big business, and whatever sanction/rule stands to make the best return on investment or limit their potential future liability will win the day, month, year, etc. Thankfully the players have some unionized protection.

I was in the NFL 'peloton' for several years and witnessed firsthand the chattel mentality of NFL management towards the players and staff. Disposable, plug-and-play chess pieces. There is also a significant disparity in treatment between minority and majority players, but I'll leave that discussion for another time and place.