Which 2013 GT has the best route? - Page 6 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Rank the three GTs
1st Giro, 2nd Tour, 3rd Vuelta 36 40.00%
1st Giro, 2nd Vuelta, 3rd Tour 29 32.22%
1st Tour, 2nd Giro, 3rd Vuelta 7 7.78%
1st Tour, 2nd Vuelta, 3rd Giro 8 8.89%
1st Vuelta, 2nd Giro, 3rd Tour 8 8.89%
1st Vuelta, 2nd Tour, 3rd Giro 2 2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-13, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavEH View Post
What is so wrong with the Peuresourde/Peyragudes stage?
When the Giro or the Vuelta go into France I hope for something other than the same, stale, tired old climbs we see every single year in the Tour. I get, instead, a stupidly overused climb that not only will we get to see in the Tour as well, but also that we saw in last year's Tour. Twice.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 01-16-13, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
Sorry, it's just that you voted in the poll for Tour-Vuelta-Giro
Did I now... sorry, mouse fart.

Needless to say, I'd take the Giro route over the Vuelta route 101 times out of 100.
Old 01-16-13, 14:49

Telegraphe-Galibier has been used what 2011 2007 2005? ASO are never going to do a proper stage with it so good on RCS.... Even 150km with Cenis is better than cutting Iseran in half and finishing in Briancon.
Old 01-16-13, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavEH View Post
The Tour also have a notable lack of hilly stages. The stages are either dead flat or mountainous. The classic like stages you find in the Giro is almost never used in the Tour.
How do you know? Most stage profiles haven't been unveiled yet.

The knee-jerk TdF bashfest continues...
Old 01-16-13, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
When the Giro or the Vuelta go into France I hope for something other than the same, stale, tired old climbs we see every single year in the Tour. I get, instead, a stupidly overused climb that not only will we get to see in the Tour as well, but also that we saw in last year's Tour. Twice.
While I understand your predicament, we have to remember race organisers, especially Unipublic right now, often depend on the financial support of the hosting towns. If Peyragudes has the bucks and the intention to host stage finishes and, say, St-Jean-Pied-de-Port doesn't, it's understandable they do stages to Peyragudes.
Old 01-16-13, 14:58

I went Giro Vuelta Tour.

They are all better than last year.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Giro parcours initially, as I hate any more than one short mountain stage, but the detailed analysis I read on here about the hilly/rolling/medium mountain stages has me intrigued.

I dislike a few of the Tour mountain stages, and I hate the proliferation of ramp finishes in the Vuelta.

But what made me put the Tour in bottom spot is the complete absence of interesting medium mountain stages, or stages with the X-factor.
Old 01-19-13, 10:20

I have not voted in the poll; I actually find the routes relatively similar in strength/interest, but some comments regardless on what I can remember of the parcours.

The Vuelta stuns us with a category 1 MTF on race day 2! It's not something that I want regularly, but this is a nice change of pace; it will be good to see an early shake up in the GC. Too often at the TDF we go through the motions of 7-10 stages that are meaningless to the GC. Also with the Vuelta, good form will be required throughout the three weeks, rather than peaking for a 1-2 week period.

The one quiet period in the Vuelta is from stages 4-7 with not much happening. If you are going to have a TTT then I'd prefer it later in week 1, so possibly would have worked better with that on stage 5 and throw in a prologue (or something a little longer like start of 2009 TDF), especially seeing as we are criminally low on ITT.

The TDF first week seems very bland. Not much has been made out of the Corsica stages, so the only interest for GC will be to see who stays on their bike. That said, a big positive is that the first high mountain stage comes on stage 8, so we are not waiting as long as usual for this. Ax3-Domaines is a fine stage too; a little overused perhaps, but I think that is acceptable for an anniversary edition. The disappointment is the decision not to return to Plad-adet MTF the following day. This 'could' still end up being a decent stage, but if 30 riders roll in together at the finish in the valley then we will have a right to be angry about that stage.

It's nice that the TDF has inserted an ITT into the middle of the race, but as many have said, it probably should have been longer. 55km and flat would have been a better decision. The following ITT is very good; 32 kms with a couple of serious climbs.

Will there be too many stages of nothing happening in week 2?

The final week is brilliant; I'm a little baffled at the backlash towards it. We have Venteoux; yes it's regularly used, but it almost always produces great racing. The same can be said for Alp Du'ez, and two ascents of it will make for a rather difficult stage (though of course you could just go over the Madeleine and others instead!). The Le Grand Bornard stage is a ripper and will cause major time gaps, and coming on the back of all the other difficulties, that short final MTF will do just fine.

It's become a regular thingy now for the GT's to have the Queen stage (or close to it) on the penultimate stage and the trend continues further in 2013. Giro and Vuelta stages are epic, even if a return to the Angliru after just two years is perhaps a little soon.

The Giro has a perfect balance of climbing and time trialling, but is there enough climbing of any significance before stage 13, and if not does that make the race again too back ended?

Strangely enough, the Giro and Vuelta have chosen to showcase the Tour on this years route, with the Galibier and Perysourdes stages being arguably the best of the route. It's ridiculous really that it's taken the Giro to get the best out of the Galibier...the Telegraphe route is much better than the shallower gradients we saw on the finish in 2011.

Perhaps these two stages should have been in the Tour themselves?

The Vuelta has gone pretty top heavy on the summit finishers, but let's see what racing it produces. Of course not many of us just want to see attacks from Rodriguez inside the last 2 kms...

But there seems to be a few 'proper' mountain stages.

I would give all of these parcours an 8. As is usually the case, you'd only need dramatically change a stage or two to make each course significantly better.
In top grade professional cycling (and in life) it is virtually impossible to be a major winner whilst being 100% clean (or honest). Most GC GT riders are simply doing what they love whilst playing the game.

I'm a huge Kloden fan (or a Klodist) - despite the fact that he rode for Telekom/T-Mobile, Astana and Radioshack

Contador at Fuente De - I salute you!

Germany 7 Brazil 1
Old 05-18-13, 13:27

well, well, well.... This turns out to be a Giro for posterity.

So apparently the frenchies made the Pailheres the highest climb so their festivities not be ruined by weather.
Old 05-18-13, 13:35

No Galibier makes it a pretty tough choice. Would come down the design of the hilly finishes in July.
Old 05-18-13, 13:40

One mountain stage with more than 1 climb before stage 19?

Oh dear.