U.S. Politics - Page 637 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-16-13, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
I don't remember and probably will not go back and read the article again but did it say if the home owner bothered to call 911 before he began blasting away?

Something that has not been said but I think needs to be said. Has anyone on here considered the actual use of deadly force before? If you haven't then I suggest spending a few minutes of time to contemplate this.
For me many things have to be answered when the use of deadly force is actually used. For example....the intruder we are discussing was armed with a spade/shovel. Was there no way to talk said intruder out of your house and detain him until the "law" shows up that you called previously on 911.

Oh well never mind. Just thinking is all. I was poking fun at you Rhubroma about the red wine, so just in case someone gets the willies up.
Deadly? No. Dogs, roommates, and blunt instruments directed elsewhere than the head have all been deployed against people in different situations. In all cases I or we had the element of surprise working for us. Would that have worked out the same if they were carrying a gun? No way of knowing, but even if they were, it wouldn't incline me to equalize the situation with a specifically deadly weapon.
Old 01-16-13, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Only if you plan on a little breaking and entering whil you're in the mid-west. Or strolling anywhere in Chicago.
Or going to a movie. Or school. Or work.
Old 01-16-13, 15:59

Quote:
I don't remember and probably will not go back and read the article again but did it say if the home owner bothered to call 911 before he began blasting away?

Something that has not been said but I think needs to be said. Has anyone on here considered the actual use of deadly force before? If you haven't then I suggest spending a few minutes of time to contemplate this.
For me many things have to be answered when the use of deadly force is actually used. For example....the intruder we are discussing was armed with a spade/shovel. Was there no way to talk said intruder out of your house and detain him until the "law" shows up that you called previously on 911.

Oh well never mind. Just thinking is all. I was poking fun at you Rhubroma about the red wine, so just in case someone gets the willies up.
No, not through any gun assured means. Although we could just as well ask ourselves what it also means to contemplate not using deadly force, no? I don't perceive Americans' not willing to contemplate the use of deadly force as frankly being something of concern here. Perhaps it's just part and parcel to growing up in a country that ingrains a wholly positive notion of self-defense and individual survival, as being among the highest civic values.

Personally what is rather unappealing to me is the all too facile recourse to a contemplation of deadly force that seems to dramatically typify today’s US society, as if an obsession, or fantasy, or demonstration of individual preparation; that's been converted into a kultur through a number of commercial, entertainment and pedagogical outlets. Values like restraint, measure and proportion, or a state of non-conflict, on the other hand, are equated with weakness, never civility; while the actual culture thus created has been reinforced through a number of market and social praxis under the nation's rather perverse (from my way of thinking) romance with firearms. I think this is a significant problem (also for the high levels of violence): namely, the mass diffusion of a mentality that promotes artificially enhanced potency as a sign of individual “empowerment” and “liberty,” which operates on multiple levels and which is a defining element in the forma mentis of a large portion of Americana. It's something to applaud when the bad guys get taken out by a housewife, though not condemned at the level of artificial enhancement itself when turned against a movie theater or school.

Here is a case, however, for which “those who live by the sword, shall die by the sword,” becomes a self-inflicted reality.

I think its time for that glass of red wine now...

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-16-13 at 16:53.
Old 01-16-13, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
True.

Maybe we should start talking about criminal control.
Old 01-16-13, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
True.

Maybe we should start talking about criminal control.
They're only criminals after they commit the crime so that doesn't help much, since the entire point is prevention.
Old 01-16-13, 17:43

Quote:

Something that has not been said but I think needs to be said. Has anyone on here considered the actual use of deadly force before? If you haven't then I suggest spending a few minutes of time to contemplate this. For me many things have to be answered when the use of deadly force is actually used. For example....the intruder we are discussing was armed with a spade/shovel. Was there no way to talk said intruder out of your house and detain him until the "law" shows up that you called previously on 911.

i haven't ever taken the concealed license course but a couple of people i've talked to said that was a large part of the class. i don't know that it's an official part of the class or up to individual instructors.
Old 01-16-13, 17:55

Quote:
Funny. I've done all those things for a long time and never been shot. Of course that could not possibly be because the odds of being killed by a gunman with mental issues are so low that worrying about it is like worrying about winning the Powerball lottery..
Old 01-16-13, 17:58

Looks like King Obama will rely mostly on executive orders to handle the "gun problem" because getting stuff through Congress will be difficult. Most of the nineteen orders look okay.

Meanwhile states legislators are considering firearms rights protection acts to protect the people's rights against encroachment by the feds.
Old 01-16-13, 18:01

Quote:
They're only criminals after they commit the crime so that doesn't help much, since the entire point is prevention.
First time offenders are the only one's using firearms? Good to know.

Lessee... I wonder what the violent felon recidivism rates are?

Quote:
During 2007, a total of 1,180,469 persons on parole were at-risk of reincarceration. This includes persons under parole supervision on January 1 or those entering parole during the year. Of these parolees, about 16% were returned to incarceration in 2007.
Among nearly 300,000 prisoners released in 15 states in 1994, 67.5% were rearrested within 3 years. A study of prisoners released in 1983 estimated 62.5%.
Of the 272,111 persons released from prisons in 15 states in 1994, an estimated 67.5% were rearrested for a felony or serious misdemeanor within 3 years, 46.9% were reconvicted, and 25.4% resentenced to prison for a new crime.
These offenders had accumulated 4.1 million arrest charges before their most recent imprisonment and another 744,000 charges within 3 years of release.
Released prisoners with the highest rearrest rates were robbers (70.2%), burglars (74.0%), larcenists (74.6%), motor vehicle thieves (78.8%), those in prison for possessing or selling stolen property (77.4%), and those in prison for possessing, using, or selling illegal weapons (70.2%).
Within 3 years, 2.5% of released rapists were arrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for homicide.
I would think a thoughtful guy such as yourself might be interested in actually addressing the real problems. But, no.

You have little interest in anything other political gamesmanship.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=17
Old 01-16-13, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Funny. I've done all those things for a long time and never been shot. Of course that could not possibly be because the odds of being killed by a gunman with mental issues are so low that worrying about it is like worrying about winning the Powerball lottery..
Facts are problematic here.