U.S. Politics - Page 639 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-16-13, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
Thought we covered this already? Here's a nice, easy-to-understand chart of the real problems that might make it clearer:

Left:
Improve mental illness system - yes.
Reduce crime - yes.
Stricter gun control - yes, for now
Gun confiscation/repeal 2nd amendment - yes, eventually

Right:
Improve mental illness system - yes.
Reduce crime - yes.
Stricter gun control - probably, depends on how 'control' is defined.

Yep, we're on board for addressing the real problems. When are you guys coming on?
Fixed it fer ya.
Old 01-16-13, 20:05

Quote:
If Nate Silver didn't do the poll then its worthless.
Old 01-16-13, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Funny. I've done all those things for a long time and never been shot.
Well that's good. I haven't either. Course, lots of other people have been. Be nice to cut that down a bit in the future, eh?

Quote:
Of course that could not possibly be because the odds of being killed by a gunman with mental issues
Keep hearing this "mental illness" "mental issues" thing you and Scott throw around as if it's common knowledge what constitutes "mental illness". How about simple depression? 1 in 5 American adults are on psychiatric drugs - where do they fall? How about people on mood- or behavior-altering prescription drugs?

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...who-will-snap/

So if it's next to impossible to predict who's going to snap and who isn't, then it's a bit tough to control violence from the standpoint of the individual. But where we can exert some degree of control is over the inanimate objects - they're the weakest link in the chain.

Quote:
are so low that worrying about it is like worrying about winning the Powerball lottery..
Having your plane blown up by terrorists is about the same odds as winning Powerball so why do we bother with all of that security? Why are guns banned from planes anyway?

Last edited by VeloCity; 01-16-13 at 20:43.
Old 01-16-13, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
If Nate Silver didn't do the poll then its worthless.
Nate Silver doesn't do polling.
Old 01-16-13, 20:48

Quote:
Nate Silver doesn't do polling.
I'll rephrase.

I'll believe your poll results when Nate Silver analyzes them and says they are accurate.
Old 01-16-13, 20:51

Quote:
I'll rephrase.

I'll believe your poll results when Nate Silver analyzes them and says they are accurate.
OK. In the meantime, here's a fun game to pass the time.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-gun-quiz.html

I scored 100%. Give it a go, see how you do. Although in Reagan's defense, I suppose actually being shot might make one a bit leery about guns.

Last edited by VeloCity; 01-16-13 at 20:55.
Old 01-16-13, 20:54

Speaking of Silver, this is fascinating stuff;

Quote:
Spending on entitlement programs was about $500 billion per year in 1972 in today’s dollars. If it had increased at the same rate as the gross domestic product, it would now be about $1.4 trillion. Instead, it is now about $2.9 trillion per year. What this means is that there has been about a $1.5 trillion increase in entitlement spending above and beyond gross domestic product growth. This is actually slightly larger than the overall increase in government spending relative to gross domestic product. This results from the fact that spending on the other categories has been essentially flat relative to the gross domestic product (infrastructure and services), or constitutes a negligible part of the budget for the time being (interest), or actually decreased relative to gross domestic product over the 40-year period (defense).

To clarify: all of the major categories of government spending have been increasing relative to inflation. But essentially all of the increase in spending relative to economic growth, and the potential tax base, has come from entitlement programs, and about half of that has come from health care entitlements specifically.

Sux when smarty pants swerves in to the truth.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...ng/#more-38257
Old 01-16-13, 21:03

Quote:
OK. In the meantime, here's a fun game to pass the time.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-gun-quiz.html

I scored 100%. Give it a go, see how you do. Although in Reagan's defense, I suppose actually being shot might make one a bit leery about guns.
But I thought you thought Reagan to be an idiot. Change your tune did ya?
Old 01-16-13, 21:10

Quote:
But I thought you thought Reagan to be an idiot. Change your tune did ya?
Like I said before, even idiots understand the need for gun control.
Old 01-16-13, 21:10

Quote:
Keep hearing this "mental illness" "mental issues" thing you and Scott throw around as if it's common knowledge what constitutes "mental illness". How about simple depression? 1 in 5 American adults are on psychiatric drugs - where do they fall? How about people on mood- or behavior-altering prescription drugs?
Maybe people keep mentioning it because time and time again when mass shootings happen, the people turn out to have mental problems a bit worse than simple depression.

Quote:
So if it's next to impossible to predict who's going to snap and who isn't, then it's a bit tough to control violence from the standpoint of the individual. But where we can exert some degree of control is over the inanimate objects - they're the weakest link in the chain.
Maybe we should just get rid of all rights. After all, you never can tell who might snap. We cannot trust anyone with anything.

Quote:
Having your plane blown up by terrorists is about the same odds as winning Powerball so why do we bother with all of that security? Why are guns banned from planes anyway?
Yeah, I feel a so much safer now that the TSA is worried about people taking shampoo on a plane. Almost as much safer as I feel about the government clamping down on the Canadian border while the Mexican border is a free for all. Thanks hysterical people. You are an inspiration to us all.