Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 Giro?
Wiggins 137 35.31%
Nibali 140 36.08%
Gesink 26 6.70%
Hesjedal 28 7.22%
Sanchez 12 3.09%
Basso/Scarponi 7 1.80%
Rujano 3 0.77%
Cobo/Capecchi/Intxausti 9 2.32%
A Colombian 10 2.58%
Other/Garzelli 16 4.12%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-13, 12:39

why would they need flat riders for upcoming giro. this is not the tour. and they will get knees for that, also because wiggins wants him for his size
Old 01-16-13, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
He needs to be careful not to have the best rider in the race slave for him?. Because after the way i saw froome ride his guts out for wiggins while wearing the leaders jersey in the vuelta and then at the tour, the term "froomed"can't possibly mean anything else.
Well, he ended up behind Froome in that particular GT, despite having Froome slave for him. Seems for his sake it's a good idea not to have that happen again.
Old 01-17-13, 02:49

Stannard rode very well for Froome at the Vuelta- right before each hill sprint in the first week.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

"No one is dropping Simon Gerrans."
Old 01-17-13, 10:31

I think Stannard is set for Tour debut. Pate and Siutsou training lot of TTT lately with the riders already confirmed like Wiggo, Henao etc . I think they'll be in the squad very much so. No Porte for Giro me thinks. Might be given lead at PN and support Froome.
Old 01-18-13, 12:42

I think porte will definitely ride the giro. he is very essential for their mountain train. froome doesn't need that so much
Old 01-18-13, 13:20

Porte prefers riding for Wiggins anyway.
Old 01-18-13, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
I think Stannard is set for Tour debut. Pate and Siutsou training lot of TTT lately with the riders already confirmed like Wiggo, Henao etc . I think they'll be in the squad very much so. No Porte for Giro me thinks. Might be given lead at PN and support Froome.
Porte was always going to do the Giro. He more or less confirmed it a long time ago.

He also said he wanted to go for GC himself (as a dom).
Old 01-18-13, 14:15

Well I don't think so personally. Froome is best friend of Porte ( not that it matters much, but it might a little ) and I think Porte will be given lead in WT stage races plus Tour. We'll see I guess.

He said he wanted to do Giro. Never said he will There's a difference.
Old 01-18-13, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
Well I don't think so personally. Froome is best friend of Porte ( not that it matters much, but it might a little ) and I think Porte will be given lead in WT stage races plus Tour. We'll see I guess.

He said he wanted to do Giro. Never said he will There's a difference.
It seems to me like they told him he was probably going to do the Giro.

"What I've been told, if I'm good at the Giro and I think that's where I'll be riding, I'll be having the sort of role that Chris (Froome) had at the Tour - where he was the last guy that needs to sacrifice himself," he said

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13...t-in-Giro.aspx
Old 01-18-13, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
It seems to me like they told him he was probably going to do the Giro.

"What I've been told, if I'm good at the Giro and I think that's where I'll be riding, I'll be having the sort of role that Chris (Froome) had at the Tour - where he was the last guy that needs to sacrifice himself," he said

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13...t-in-Giro.aspx
True, however that was in November. And all plans will be finalized this month. Things change. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't do Giro. We'll see soon enough though. Giro squad will do Oman & Tirren together. If he isn't there, he's doing Tour.
Closed Thread