Armstrong's financial situation - Page 39 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-25-12, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
It is $12,000,000 and SCA has not gone away. They will get their money
I think so too. He can have his battery of high priced lawyers drag it out all he wants, he'll end up paying them in the end. Poor One nut.
Old 01-16-13, 02:29

As posted in the general LA thread, the feds have rejected an offer of $5 million from LA:

Quote:
Lance Armstrong has offered to pay more than $5 million to the federal government to compensate for the fraud he allegedly committed against the U.S. Postal Service, CBS News has learned. The Postal Service paid Armstrong's team more than $30 million to sponsor it from 1999 to 2004 as part of a contract that banned doping.

CBS News has also learned Armstrong offered to be a cooperating witness in a federal investigation.

But our sources say the Department of Justice has turned down both offers as inadequate.
We know his offer of $1 million to SCA was also rejected. Poor guy can't even give away money.

Also posted on another thread, this link to an article on Weisel and his involvement:

Quote:
The federal whistle-blower lawsuit targets Tailwind as a defendant, so the question of who controlled Tailwind is critical. The professional cycling team Weisel first assembled in 1998 was called Montgomery-Subaru, after its sponsors, but Tailwind was the team’s holding company, records show.

During the team’s earliest years, “Lance had no part of ownership of Tailwind, which was chaired by Thom Weisel for many years,” according to a memo produced as part of legal proceedings by an attorney for the Dallas insurer SCA. By 2004, however, Armstrong had taken an 11.5 percent ownership stake in the firm, his agent Stapleton said during a 2005 deposition in the SCA litigation.
Quote:
In documents prepared for a 2005 arbitration case in which the SCA insurance firm made an earlier attempt to recoup its $11 million, the Center for Investigative Reporting found reports of three incidents in which Weisel was allegedly confronted with the doping allegations swirling around the Postal Service team:
—In the 1996 team shake-up, team physician Steffen complained in faxes to Weisel that he was losing his job because he refused to allow drugs on the team…

While Armstrong was en route to his first Tour de France win in 1999, the team was roiled by a report that the cycling star had tested positive for cortisone, a banned substance. Team masseuse Emma O’Reilly claimed she had witnessed Weisel huddling with Armstrong in the cyclist’s massage room, “frantic about what to do about the positive test.”…

Retired U.S. cycling champion Greg LeMond publicly criticized Armstrong in 2001 for training with Ferrari, the reputed doping master. Soon, LeMond said, he got a threatening call from Weisel. “What you’re saying about Lance isn’t good for you,” LeMond claimed Weisel told him.
Old 01-16-13, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velodude View Post
Would he pay for your Betty Ford bills too?
heheheh

crawfish and jambalaya
Old 01-16-13, 02:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkvW View Post
I'm liking Rupert Murdoch for the big money.

SCA is not a sure thing, by any means.
how you work that?

if ever there is a lay down misere
Old 01-16-13, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
We know his offer of $1 million to SCA was also rejected. Poor guy can't even give away money.
It's bad when you can't give $1 million away.

But when you can't get someone to take a $5 million check from you it's going to worry a guy.

U.S. government rejects Armstrong's $5 million offer in whisteblower case
Old 01-16-13, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyFlowers View Post
It's bad when you can't give $1 million away.

But when you can't get someone to take a $5 million check from you it's going to worry a guy.

U.S. government rejects Armstrong's $5 million offer in whisteblower case
I have a feeling a fecking great hammer is going to fall on someone very soon and money isn't going to help it one bit..

Humphrey B. Flaubert of TISM
Old 01-16-13, 18:04

Phil Knight is asked if Nike will ever reunite with Lance. He smiles and says "never say never".

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/16/nike-c...nce-armstrong/
Old 01-16-13, 19:06

Are the Andreu's suing LA's azz? They truly deserve every penny they can get from that azzh0le for the damage he inflicted on them.
Old 01-17-13, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Yes, we all cannot wait to see LA end up in the poor house. We can chastise the cop that gives him shoes to wear, launch into diatribes about people that don't spit on him as they walk by. Much humor, rubbernecking, and righteous comeuppance for all.
never mind.
Old 01-17-13, 08:57
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
Are the Andreu's suing LA's azz? They truly deserve every penny they can get from that azzh0le for the damage he inflicted on them.
I suspect they will not have to.

I suspect LA will make some kind of offer as a promoted publicity stunt on his mission to get accepted back in the human race.

Whether they accept or refuse or ask for ten times on a matter of "principle" will have to be seen.