Amstel Gold finish line change - Page 5 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-16-13, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
could any that knows the ways of the low countries make a profile on tracks for bikers or something with this new last part of the race?
http://app.strava.com/segments/1229083
Old 01-16-13, 22:08
Administrator

so it pretty much is a lap of the WC course?

rather disappointing as the course wasn't all that selective
Old 01-17-13, 03:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Claws View Post
I do not know about Sagan. Right now he still seems a level beneath Gilbert and perhaps even Rodriguez on these hills.

Yes, I understand he has potential.
Yeah but JROD never goes well at AGR.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 01-17-13, 05:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Here Leo van Vliet says that it's not just the finish line that changes, they'll do an 18 k lap with Geulhemmerberg-Bemelerberg-Cauberg after it. I wonder why the media didn't pick up on that, that's a far more important change.

So the entire final of the race has been altered.
The news did not came out yet because this change is not made official to the puclic yet.

Iteresting to see how this change will effect the way that the favorites make the race before the Cauberg climb. In the last couple of years almost everybody waits until a final attack on the Cauberg. Now we can maybe see earlier attacks with a more select group to go to the finish line.
Old 01-17-13, 07:11

Worlds proved that the last 2k were meaningless. a pretty big group hit the base of the Cauberg and the 3 riders that went over the top were the same 3 at the finish, and on that day (and a good percentage of days every year) the wind was coming from Germany so once over the top it is a pretty fast 2k with a bit of downhill and excellent road surface.
also there is much more room for the whole finish line village up there.
Old 01-17-13, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert82 View Post
The news did not came out yet because this change is not made official to the puclic yet.

Iteresting to see how this change will effect the way that the favorites make the race before the Cauberg climb. In the last couple of years almost everybody waits until a final attack on the Cauberg. Now we can maybe see earlier attacks with a more select group to go to the finish line.
I'm not sure, Geulhemmerberg and Bemelerberg are not that hard. It would have been better to do the Keutenberg one more time in the final
Old 01-17-13, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by burning View Post
I already miss Freire
Yeah that's what I was thinking right after he retires they make it perfect for him

Visit my blog on spanish history: www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
Old 01-17-13, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbleStoner View Post
Worlds proved that the last 2k were meaningless. a pretty big group hit the base of the Cauberg and the 3 riders that went over the top were the same 3 at the finish, and on that day (and a good percentage of days every year) the wind was coming from Germany so once over the top it is a pretty fast 2k with a bit of downhill and excellent road surface.
also there is much more room for the whole finish line village up there.
Kolobnev was 2nd over the top IIRC....
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 01-18-13, 23:36

From what I read the road they're going to use to the finish after the Cauberg isn't the same road they took in the world championships, but rather one they used when the Tour de France visited a few years back. Is there any difference really or are both options basically just false flat?

Either way I like the change. I've really got fed up with Amstel the last few years. I remember when I first saw it in 2003 and 2004 they were more exciting and the attacks were made earlier, but it's ended up mostly being a glorified uphill sprint on a hill that isn't as testing as the Mur de Huy, with 250km of riders just marking each other over 30 meaningless hills. Liege is just raced so much more aggressively, you can see how much tougher it is and how much more riders want it. I enjoyed the worlds last year though so perhaps this change will help make Amstel a better race again.

With the likes of Degenkolb and Sagan we could have in the next few years riders capable of winning Roubaix and Amstel in back to back weeks. I can't even think of the last rider in with a good shot at both.
Old 01-19-13, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Classics View Post
I can't even think of the last rider in with a good shot at both.
Johan Museeuw.