McQuaid and Verbruggen going down - Page 9 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 01-17-13, 11:40
ValleyFlowers's Avatar
ValleyFlowers ValleyFlowers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Santa Ynez valley
Posts: 311
Arrow More details in the WSJ article

Wall Street Journal: New Twist in Armstrong Saga

"When Weisel offered Ochowicz a job at his investment bank, Thomas Weisel Partners, Ochowicz moved Verbruggen's account over with him, according to Ochowicz."

"There was no hanky-panky," he said, adding that Weisel didn't have "direct access" to Verbruggen's account. He declined to say how much money was in Verbruggen's account. He added: "I have no recollection of talking about Hein's accounts with Thom Weisel."


"To have the head of the sport, who's responsible for enforcing anti-doping rules, in business with the owner of the team that won seven straight Tours de France in violation of those rules—it certainly stinks to high heaven, particularly now, given what's been exposed that happened under his watch," said Travis Tygart, head of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-17-13, 12:51
86TDFWinner's Avatar
86TDFWinner 86TDFWinner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyFlowers View Post
Wall Street Journal: New Twist in Armstrong Saga

"When Weisel offered Ochowicz a job at his investment bank, Thomas Weisel Partners, Ochowicz moved Verbruggen's account over with him, according to Ochowicz."

"There was no hanky-panky," he said, adding that Weisel didn't have "direct access" to Verbruggen's account. He declined to say how much money was in Verbruggen's account. He added: "I have no recollection of talking about Hein's accounts with Thom Weisel."


"To have the head of the sport, who's responsible for enforcing anti-doping rules, in business with the owner of the team that won seven straight Tours de France in violation of those rules—it certainly stinks to high heaven, particularly now, given what's been exposed that happened under his watch," said Travis Tygart, head of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.
Ochowicz is a huge POS too, I hope he gets busted as well. What a disgrace.
__________________
Check out my Facebook page devoted to the release(hopefully)of a 30th anniversary edition of American Flyers re-release on dvd. "Like" and comment on it if you will.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-17-13, 13:01
thehog's Avatar
thehog thehog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,826
Default

Verbruggen transfusing money into hedge funds run by Och and manged by Weisel.

Armstrong investing in a gold mine owned by Paul Sherwin.

No wonder no one was going to test positive.

Wiggins was right. Everyone benefited from Lance in some way or another.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-17-13, 13:14
B_Ugli B_Ugli is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
Verbruggen transfusing money into hedge funds run by Och and manged by Weisel.

Armstrong investing in a gold mine owned by Paul Sherwin.

No wonder no one was going to test positive.

Wiggins was right. Everyone benefited from Lance in some way or another.
You have to wonder how many similar "arrangements" have been made across other sports with IOC Officials or Heads of Governing Bodies.

Surely this will transcend into other sports when Verbruggen finally feels the heat and the ensuing fall out from it?
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-17-13, 13:26
thehog's Avatar
thehog thehog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Ugli View Post
You have to wonder how many similar "arrangements" have been made across other sports with IOC Officials or Heads of Governing Bodies.

Surely this will transcend into other sports when Verbruggen finally feels the heat and the ensuing fall out from it?
Verbruggen is 71 and old. Right wing as they come. Part of "old Europe" as the Americans call it. Scary guy. He's weak as water also. But when you put an idiot like him in charge of an organization like the UCI they wreck havoc. He's not a smart guy at all. But good with money.

McQuaid is not as evil as Hein but has been covering HV's tracks for years as Hein got him the job.

McQuaid got Puerto in his first 6 months and the rest is history.

McQuaid is conflicted. Half of him wants to do a decent job. But the other half is loyal to Hein and the evils of the past. Pat also got into bed with Armstrong on the Comeback and that will see the end of him. He should have stood up then.

McQuaid will be remembered as corrupt, that is all. Nothing else.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-17-13, 13:38
stainlessguy1's Avatar
stainlessguy1 stainlessguy1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
LOL , at least with Schultz there is always a * Definite Possible Maybe * .... ha ha ha
__________________
Then the blind man set his hands upon the young mans chest , then his heart and felt the beat . He felt his legs , every muscle and tendon . The blind man said " this is impossible , You have a strong heart and tendons of a buffalo , not since my student Bottechia have i seen this ", "Fausto you will be a great champion. [trainer , Blaise Cavanna of Fausto Coppi circa 1935 ].
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-17-13, 14:07
GreasyMonkey's Avatar
GreasyMonkey GreasyMonkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 444
Default

I guess that Lance has the "goods" on Ochowicz, & told him to start dripping the bad news on Heiny, or he would go under the Oprah bus as well.....

It looks pretty clear which path the $500k sweetner for the 1999 Cortisone stitch-up job took.....
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-17-13, 14:22
tofino tofino is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 138
Default Toast Hein

This one part of the article should be enough to toast Hein;

In a 2008 interview with the Journal, Verbruggen said he had never been involved in a business relationship with Ochowicz and Weisel.

Hein becoming toxic and the IOC really hates it when people start asking questions that are backed up with facts.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-17-13, 14:41
thorny59 thorny59 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 24
Default IPO's from Weisel's firm to Heins account= big $

i would think his monthly account statements would show he benefited greatly from hot stock IPO's that weisels firms underwrote. these shares are typically handed to "prized" clients as a thank you on Wall Street.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-17-13, 14:52
spetsa's Avatar
spetsa spetsa is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: between a bar stool and a bike saddle
Posts: 452
Default

When the Weasel bankrolled an attempt to get the Summer Olympics in San Fransisco, he probably thought that he had the IOC votes in the bank. Literally.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.