U.S. Politics - Page 643 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6421  
Old 01-17-13, 23:47
Amsterhammer's Avatar
Amsterhammer Amsterhammer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 3,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
but in amsterdam they're too stoned to be violent.
Funnily enough, those are almost the exact words I posted together with these stats in another place.
__________________
The LOTE has won, all hail the LOTE.
Reply With Quote
  #6422  
Old 01-18-13, 03:30
patricknd's Avatar
patricknd patricknd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: houston texas
Posts: 1,676
Default

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Wo...z/-/index.html

Looks like these guys didn't get the memo about running away if someone's home
Reply With Quote
  #6423  
Old 01-18-13, 16:05
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Nope. We only have four times the murder rate. In the early nineties we had six times their rate. So even though they banned guns and we did not, we had a much greater decrease in violent crime. Damn those inconvenient facts.
In 1968, 44% of Australian homicides were gun related. In the US, it was roughly the same, about 50%. In 2003 - after the gun ban - it was 16% in Australia (and armed robberies involving guns went from about 30% to 14% over that same time period). Homicides in Australia involving guns have decreased 59% over the decade since the ban. In the US, it's still about 50%. Gun bans work, dude. The US homicide rate is about 7 times higher on average than other industrialized countries - why so much higher? Because it's driven by gun-related homicides, which in the US are 20 times higher.

Why do you suppose that the US has 4 times the homicide rate of Australia? Why do we have 7 times the homicide rate of other industrialized countries? Why do we have 20 times the gun-related homicide rate? What do we have that they don't, Bro?

Quote:
Spike in crime during the eighties? So what? Reagan replaced the criminal apologists, you know, libs like rhubroma who cry about home invaders, and concentrated on law enforcement. Funny enough The Gipper took the fight to the criminals, not law abiding citizens. The country is now reaping the benefits (if you ignore the mentally ill he turned out onto the streets).
You might want to read up a bit on Reagan and gun control. I'll give you the executive summary: he was all for it. Far beyond anything Obama has proposed. Assault weapons ban, ammunition bans, background checks, banning guns in public places, you name it, Reagan supported it. Obama is a wuss in comparison to what Reagan wanted.

Last edited by VeloCity; 01-18-13 at 16:13.
Reply With Quote
  #6424  
Old 01-18-13, 16:17
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,126
Default

Even partisans like Byron York are starting to see the light - the Rs cupboard is empty.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/byron-...5#.UPlqOx19Iww

Quote:
But in the last election, as some of the Republicans meeting in Williamsburg see it, the decision to run a referendum campaign -- choosing, as one strategist put it, "to say we don't need a product, because Obama is so bad that we'll win" -- left the GOP without solid issues as the president enters his second term.
You don't say. Sounds a lot like Scott, actually, during the election run-up.

Quote:
As a result, Republican strategists now realize that many voters see the GOP as opposing Obama simply for the sake of opposing Obama, rather than standing on any firm principle.
Maybe many voters see it that way because the GOP was opposing Obama simply for the sake of opposing Obama.

Quote:
Certainly they want to achieve some sort of spending cuts, but so far the party has been unable, or unwilling, to unite behind any plan. On Tuesday, Rep. Steve King of Iowa, a leading conservative, appeared on Fox News to declare, "We must have cuts to go along with any debt ceiling increase. They must be substantial." But when anchor Martha MacCallum asked King to name some cuts, he demurred. When MacCallum pressed, King responded, "I take your point that we need to sell it with specifics. But you also understand that as soon as a specific is put out there, it is attacked by the spending piranhas on the other side."

"We're trying to be like Richard Nixon," says one Republican involved in the Williamsburg retreat. "We've got a secret plan to win the war, but we can't tell you what it is."

The problem, though, is that they don't really have a plan, secret or not.
Not really any big secret there, everyone is fully aware that they don't really have a plan.

Last edited by VeloCity; 01-18-13 at 16:20.
Reply With Quote
  #6425  
Old 01-18-13, 16:41
rhubroma's Avatar
rhubroma rhubroma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Nope. We only have four times the murder rate. In the early nineties we had six times their rate. So even though they banned guns and we did not, we had a much greater decrease in violent crime. Damn those inconvenient facts.

Spike in crime during the eighties? So what? Reagan replaced the criminal apologists, you know, libs like rhubroma who cry about home invaders, and concentrated on law enforcement. Funny enough The Gipper took the fight to the criminals, not law abiding citizens. The country is now reaping the benefits (if you ignore the mentally ill he turned out onto the streets).
If anyone was crying about home invaders it was you. It's just another pretext to find further reason to have more guns in the private sphere. This is your obsession and delusion, not mine.

You're rambling like the old huntsmen who are usually finished at fifty because they're no longer capable of doing their job. They tremble when taking aim, and even at forty they have problems with their balance. They're mostly to be found in the village, sitting around the inns, fat and bloated, their guns beside them with their safety catches off, holding forth with their absurd political opinions (on that you and Scott would make a perfect pair) and often getting involved in brawls, which naturally end in injury or even death, as always happens in the country. The huntsmen have always been hooligans and troublemakers. If they didn't like the look of someone they would take the opportunity of shooting him and claim subsequently in court that they had mistaken the victim for an animal, which usually earned the offender a caution, on the principle that anyone shot by a huntsman only has himself to blame. The huntsmen were always fanatics, Bro. In fact it can be shown that huntsmen are to a large extent responsible for the world's ills. All dictators have been passionate huntsmen, who would have paid any price and even killed their own people for the sake of hunting, as we have seen. The huntsmen were fascists, national socialists, Bro.

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-18-13 at 21:26.
Reply With Quote
  #6426  
Old 01-18-13, 17:31
Amsterhammer's Avatar
Amsterhammer Amsterhammer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 3,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
A whole bunch of brilliant links Velo, thanks! Do you remember quite some months ago, you posted an excellent link to a black view of the Second Amendment. Any chance you could find the link again?
Velo, did you see this? Can you help with the article I'm referring to? Pretty sure that you posted the link.

God, I feel so unclean. I think I've just spent more time in the Clinic in the last 24 hours than ever.....
__________________
The LOTE has won, all hail the LOTE.
Reply With Quote
  #6427  
Old 01-18-13, 17:53
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
Velo, did you see this? Can you help with the article I'm referring to? Pretty sure that you posted the link.
Love to help but I don't think that was me, or at least I don't remember such an article.

Quote:
God, I feel so unclean. I think I've just spent more time in the Clinic in the last 24 hours than ever.....
Main reason I stopped posting at the old DP Forums - spent way too much time in the doping arguments. Arguing politics is a lot more fun
Reply With Quote
  #6428  
Old 01-18-13, 18:32
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,126
Default

Good article in the New Yorker today.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...-violence.html

Quote:
One important step that Obama took was lifting an effective freeze on federally financed research into the causes and effects of gun violence. During the eighties and early nineties, numerous studies of this nature were carried out under the auspices of the Centers for Disease Controlóand they generated some fascinating facts, such as the finding that households with guns were three times more likely to have homicides and five times more likely to have suicides than homes without guns. Not surprisingly, the gun lobby didnít like this research agenda, and, through its agents in Congress, it put pressure on C.D.C. officials to withdraw its funding.
Odd. Why do you suppose the gun lobby didn't like this research agenda?

Quote:
Since the late nineteen-sixties, when policy makers started getting serious about preventing road deaths, the annual number of motor-vehicle fatalities relative to the total population has been cut in half.
What? Preventative safety measures actually reduce the death toll? Can't be.
Reply With Quote
  #6429  
Old 01-18-13, 20:02
Glenn_Wilson's Avatar
Glenn_Wilson Glenn_Wilson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
http://www.click2houston.com/news/Wo...z/-/index.html

Looks like these guys didn't get the memo about running away if someone's home
She had ran completely out of Wine by 11:30pm thus.....she was doomed.
__________________
something less offensive
Reply With Quote
  #6430  
Old 01-18-13, 20:10
patricknd's Avatar
patricknd patricknd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: houston texas
Posts: 1,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
She had ran completely out of Wine by 11:30pm thus.....she was doomed.
Now I'm worried for rube. Hopefully he'll put the empties out in the a.m.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.