U.S. Politics - Page 644 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-18-13, 20:54

Looks bad for Obama...

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...r-inauguration

Quote:
The president was reelected for another four years by a relatively comfortable margin, but 39 percent of likely voters say his first four years were worse than expected, compared to just 18 percent who say he exceeded expectations. Forty-one percent of those polled said his first term went as expected. The president assumed office in the midst of one of the worst financial meltdowns in U.S. history, and those polled are still feeling the ensuing recession’s impact four years later. On the economic front, 42 percent say they are worse off now than when Obama first took office, compared to 26 percent who say they are better off. Respondents are not significantly more optimistic about the next four years, either. Sixty percent say they do not expect to make major economic strides during Obama’s second term, compared to just 38 percent who expect to be better off in 2016.
...except that

Quote:
by a 2-to-1 margin, voters blame Congress, instead of him, for the nation’s woes. Fifty percent of those polled blamed Congress the most, compared to just 25 percent placing blame squarely at the feet of Obama. Another 10 percent apiece blamed voters and the media the most.
Old 01-18-13, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
Now I'm worried for rube. Hopefully he'll put the empties out in the a.m.
Oh, I've just begun!
Old 01-18-13, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Oh, I've just begun!
I'm about to start myself
Old 01-18-13, 22:34

Quote:
If anyone was crying about home invaders it was you. It's just another pretext to find further reason to have more guns in the private sphere. This is your obsession and delusion, not mine.
Don't make me go back and grab quotes. We all read your appalling posts about the poor burgler who was shot by a woman defending her children and your sanctimonious crowing about how a civilized country like Italy would charge such a woman with murder.

Quote:
You're rambling like the old huntsmen who are usually finished at fifty because they're no longer capable of doing their job. They tremble when taking aim, and even at forty they have problems with their balance. They're mostly to be found in the village, sitting around the inns, fat and bloated, their guns beside them with their safety catches off, holding forth with their absurd political opinions (on that you and Scott would make a perfect pair) and often getting involved in brawls, which naturally end in injury or even death, as always happens in the country.
This is opposed to you rambling on like the pale, testosterone deficient academics who gather at cafes where they vie to trump each other with obscure references that have nothing to do with the conversation at hand other than a pathetic attempt to impress. After bogging a point down with useless tie-ins and connections, and patting themselves on the back for their sophistication while doing it, whatever soft headed point they attempt to make is so obscured that no one cares to raise a counterargument lest they be dragged into a mind numbingly boring lecture on something like the greeting rituals of medieval Europe. You can normally recognize them by their smug tone of voice, often accompanied with a nose in the air and, if you are quick, you can make your getaway before they rope you into their next soft spoken tirade against the bourgeoisie.

Last edited by BroDeal; 01-19-13 at 00:38.
Old 01-19-13, 03:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Don't make me go back and grab quotes. We all read your appalling posts about the poor burgler who was shot by a woman defending her children and your sanctimonious crowing about how a civilized country like Italy would charge such a woman with murder.

This is opposed to you rambling on like the pale, testosterone deficient academics who gather at cafes where they vie to trump each other with obscure references that have nothing to do with the conversation at hand other than a pathetic attempt to impress. After bogging a point down with useless tie-ins and connections, and patting themselves on the back for their sophistication while doing it, whatever soft headed point they attempt to make is so obscured that no one cares to raise a counterargument lest they be dragged into a mind numbingly boring lecture on something like the greeting rituals of medieval Europe. You can normally recognize them by their smug tone of voice, often accompanied with a nose in the air and, if you are quick, you can make your getaway before they rope you into their next soft spoken tirade against the bourgeoisie.
I have simply seized on the good BroDeal and gradually transformed him into someone wicked and malign, treating him no different from the others who seemed to lend themselves to such misuse.

Time and time again I have observed that when I am possessed by one of these dire moods, I seize all available persons, one after another, and tear them apart, denegrate them, demolish everything about them, and denude them of more or less all their virtues so that I can rescue myself and breath freely again. No longer able to make do with reading or pacing up and down or looking out the window, we have to resort to such games to rescue ourselves from some dire mood, I've thought. BroDeal's goodness conceals much that is bad, such as the ruthless single-mindedness with which he forces his ideas on others and his way of punishing those who resist by his posts. This good character is a ruthless bully, I've thought, who is capable of driving another person to desperation and even, under some circumstances, doing him to death in order to vindicate some undoubtedly ridiculous idea he has conceived. Yet this demonic BroDeal is concealed beneath the popular BroDeal, always lovable and unfailingly comic.

I'm sorry you did not see the relevance of my huntsmen vignette. That's probably because you don't see the world as I do, which is to say as allegory, as idea and as a symbolic fiction, for which everything we are discussing can be expressed best in abstract narrative terms, however comical and ultimately ridiculous. This is basically the case with what we have been discussing here on all the guns, and of course all the gun related issues. You see.

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-19-13 at 08:42.
Old 01-19-13, 03:24

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...educe-violent/

Not a huge fan of Fox news, but an interesting poll at least...It is contrary to what I have read else where, so not sure where the poll was conducted, but still interesting.

Course I'm sure CNN has a poll that says the exact opposite.

On a wild note 100 round magazines now cost @650$ on a online gun selling website, 30 round cost over 100$ now...course I found a company in Israel selling 30 rounders for 18.50$, they usually cost low teens across the internet. Bad part is not an AR-15 to found on any sites, nor in any stores in the Philly area. I called a store on Wed.(12pmish) they had 6 in stock, by 8pm there were all gone, that was 1 store out of 6 that I called that even had any.
Old 01-19-13, 12:00

Fascinating as BroDeals caricature of academics is (and it probably applies to those unfortunate or unambitious enough to end up in his part of the country; some of whom don't have more complex means of dealing with the perceived need to somehow distinguish themselves from the lycra wearing cartoon figures rolling around the mountain ranges), the following touches on another side of the academic industry (MIT specifically) and the unclear priorities of the US attorneys offices.

Aaron Swartz killed himself on Friday, January 11 in New York City. He was twenty-six years old. In his family’s official statement, they say:

Aaron’s death is not simply a personal tragedy. It is the product of a criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach. Decisions made by officials in the Massachusetts US Attorney’s office and at MIT contributed to his death. The US Attorney’s office pursued an exceptionally harsh array of charges, carrying potentially over 30 years in prison, to punish an alleged crime that had no victims. Meanwhile, unlike JSTOR, MIT refused to stand up for Aaron and its own community’s most cherished principles.

It is clear why Aaron Swartz targeted JSTOR, but it is harder to understand why he was himself targeted by US Attorney Carmen Ortiz’s office in Boston, specifically by her lead prosecutor Steve Heymann, and charged with felonies carrying one million dollars in fines and up to 35 years in prison—Swartz was technically an authorized JSTOR user who never shared the content he downloaded.

http://www.e-flux.com/journal/in-mem...-aaron-swartz/

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...558785551.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ess-publishing

On the topic of the dead horse that you guys can't stop beating re. the 2nd Amendment, the US govt has an array of means that no arms bearing citizens are going to overcome with firepower.

Last edited by aphronesis; 01-19-13 at 12:18.
Old 01-19-13, 18:14

Anyone interested in the outcome of the Algerian Hostage situation? This was a alliance natural gas plant correct? I think it was BP / statoil and Sonatrach. I know there were quite a few Japanese in the plant doing some construction upgrades,,, the Japanese were from JGC which is a Japanese company. I'm not sure if KBR / Bechtel / Flour or Halliburton were contracting there or not.

Next question----Patrick, I can't get to email at the moment or I would have emailed you. Any idea where ChrisE went off to? I hope it was not to Algeria?
Old 01-19-13, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Anyone interested in the outcome of the Algerian Hostage situation? This was a alliance natural gas plant correct? I think it was BP / statoil and Sonatrach. I know there were quite a few Japanese in the plant doing some construction upgrades,,, the Japanese were from JGC which is a Japanese company. I'm not sure if KBR / Bechtel / Flour or Halliburton were contracting there or not.

Next question----Patrick, I can't get to email at the moment or I would have emailed you. Any idea where ChrisE went off to? I hope it was not to Algeria?
I'm away from my mail too but I know it wasn't Algeria.
Old 01-19-13, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
Fascinating as BroDeals caricature of academics is (and it probably applies to those unfortunate or unambitious enough to end up in his part of the country; some of whom don't have more complex means of dealing with the perceived need to somehow distinguish themselves from the lycra wearing cartoon figures rolling around the mountain ranges), the following touches on another side of the academic industry (MIT specifically) and the unclear priorities of the US attorneys offices.

Aaron Swartz killed himself on Friday, January 11 in New York City. He was twenty-six years old. In his family’s official statement, they say:

Aaron’s death is not simply a personal tragedy. It is the product of a criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach. Decisions made by officials in the Massachusetts US Attorney’s office and at MIT contributed to his death. The US Attorney’s office pursued an exceptionally harsh array of charges, carrying potentially over 30 years in prison, to punish an alleged crime that had no victims. Meanwhile, unlike JSTOR, MIT refused to stand up for Aaron and its own community’s most cherished principles.

It is clear why Aaron Swartz targeted JSTOR, but it is harder to understand why he was himself targeted by US Attorney Carmen Ortiz’s office in Boston, specifically by her lead prosecutor Steve Heymann, and charged with felonies carrying one million dollars in fines and up to 35 years in prison—Swartz was technically an authorized JSTOR user who never shared the content he downloaded.

http://www.e-flux.com/journal/in-mem...-aaron-swartz/

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...558785551.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ess-publishing

On the topic of the dead horse that you guys can't stop beating re. the 2nd Amendment, the US govt has an array of means that no arms bearing citizens are going to overcome with firepower.
I don't think it's really a belief in the ability to succeed in vanquishing the govt., but a weird romantic notion of a modern day Pickett's charge. Of course I suspect that Pickett and his troops didn't enjoy it much.