Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the forum

About the forum Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Old 01-19-13, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewbaccaD View Post
Closing my "Lance owes the Clinic an apology" was complete bull****. That was the greatest thread in a long time. This place ****ing sucks.
They also closed the "This forum blows" thread, a thread every forum should have so people can complain about things.
Old 01-19-13, 05:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
They also closed the "This forum blows" thread, a thread every forum should have so people can complain about things.
They also closed the sock puppet thread which they actually used to ban people, till
Old 01-19-13, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebandit View Post
trouble was............members claims were not based on fact

i received lifetime ban based on accusations................which i proved to
be unfounded

thread became a location to lambast unpopular members

no need for a 'this forum blows' thread.............there are many threads to
complain in..................as if clinic members would miss the chance

chewie............'a lance needs to apologise thread' is not such a bad idea
but why? lampoon previous and existing members
Because they deserve lampooning.
Old 01-19-13, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebandit View Post
trouble was............members claims were not based on fact

i received lifetime ban based on accusations................which i proved to
be unfounded

thread became a location to lambast unpopular members

no need for a 'this forum blows' thread.............there are many threads to
complain in..................as if clinic members would miss the chance

chewie............'a lance needs to apologise thread' is not such a bad idea
but why? lampoon previous and existing members
Quote:
Because they deserve lampooning.
Sup?

I heard that there was supposed to be some news on Lance this week??? What happened?
Old 01-19-13, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post
And how would you define "better moderation"?

Susan
Step one - be less arrogant and trigger happy
Step two - read threads fully before wading in with threats of bans.
Step three - make sure you understand the arguments being made before threatening posters
Step four - understand that banning or threatening people for accusing someone of trolling, while letting trolls troll is a really stupid way to moderate
Step five - understand that accusations of trolling are not always motivated by the fact that someone disagrees with a poster.
Step six - take the concerns of posters more seriously.
Step seven - explain your decisions more clearly and be more transparent and honest.
step eight - accept the validity of criticism. If everyone is criticising you it does not mean you are doing a good job, and stop trying to claim that it does. It means you are doing a very bad job.

In short - calmer, more intelligent and thoughtful moderation would be a small but significant step forward.

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
Old 01-19-13, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs John Murphy View Post
Step one - be less arrogant and trigger happy
Step two - read threads fully before wading in with threats of bans.
Step three - make sure you understand the arguments being made before threatening posters
Step four - understand that banning or threatening people for accusing someone of trolling, while letting trolls troll is a really stupid way to moderate
Step five - understand that accusations of trolling are not always motivated by the fact that someone disagrees with a poster.
Step six - take the concerns of posters more seriously.
Step seven - explain your decisions more clearly and be more transparent and honest.
step eight - accept the validity of criticism. If everyone is criticising you it does not mean you are doing a good job, and stop trying to claim that it does. It means you are doing a very bad job.

In short - calmer, more intelligent and thoughtful moderation would be a small but significant step forward.
I think you'll have better luck getting Lance to say the truth
Old 01-19-13, 22:23

Quote:
Closing my "Lance owes the Clinic an apology" was complete bull****. That was the greatest thread in a long time. This place ****ing sucks.
The problem with the thread was the implication of trolling. Trolling is not allowed on the CN Forums. It is against the rules, therefore it is stopped in its tracks immediately whenever it occurs. You have clearly confused "trolling" for what the mods refer to as "allowing for all opinions."

Repeated appearances from the same banned individual(s) whose posting style instantly revealed themselves is not trolling. Trolling is not allowed on CN forums. They were simply presenting the "other side" to the Armstrong argument.

Personally, I find it offensive that a genuine American hero was bullied by a media icon into falsely admitting to things that he never did just to satisfy the insatiable urges of The Dirty Dozen that occupy The Clinic. Without the mods allowing for "all opinion" this place would have never moved on from the intellectually informative discussions of a few years ago. Valiantly defending Armstrong and insulting those who clearly love cancer is something to be admired. The mods should be commending for allowing such scintillating exchanges over the years.

Regardless of what Oprah forced Lance into saying, I think we should remember the words of Chris Horner: Is there video tape evidence of doping? I think not. Therefore there is still room for rational debate. I trust that the mods, guided by the wisdom of Daniel Benson, will continue to encourage the expression of "all opinions."

I think it is all of "us" who owe the mods an apology. They are volunteers after all. Actually, that's not true. They were forced into beings mods (presumably by Oprah as well. She is very rich and powerful). They have real jobs and life's to contend with (and none of us do). They simply can not be expected to recognize trolling. They are very, very busy with other things. It was only upon close examination that one of the mods discovered that Polish was trolling. This came as a shock to most forum members but it is a clear indicator of just how astute the moderation staff is, and how strictly they adhere to the rules of not allowing trolling.

Besides, whatever you may think of Armstrong, all of his transgressions occurred fifteen years ago. Just ask Jens Voigt. Isn't it time to move on?
Old 01-20-13, 01:18

I just want to tell the mod staff that I enjoy reading the reasons for bans in the suspension thread. For some reason I got a chuckle out of this:

Quote:
mountainrman has been banned for 3 months for a history of trolling, capping it with invoking Hitler and Stalin in reference to other forum members.
Unfortunately, if I was a mod mountainman would probably get points for being creative. Hopefully, my application for mod here is still being seriously considered.

If not, I would like to volunteer to write the reasons for suspensions. I could be creative in that.

Here is my all time favorite, BTW from Susan awhile back.

Quote:
Cobblestoned has been banned for three days for several disgusting postings with references to bodily functions.
Old 01-20-13, 22:12

Why isn't thehog allowed to quote himself?

It is not something new, and I'd describe it as his posting style. And IF your going to mod posting styles, then there are plenty that you could do a some tweaking with

Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 01-21-13, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
Why isn't thehog allowed to quote himself?

It is not something new, and I'd describe it as his posting style. And IF your going to mod posting styles, then there are plenty that you could do a some tweaking with

Doesn't quoting not get picked up by the ignore filter? So if you keep quoting yourself you (in effect) force people to pick up your comments.

That's my guess why he does it.