2013 Santos Tour Down Under Stage 1: Prospect -> Lobethal, 135km - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-21-13, 02:48

Default 2013 Santos Tour Down Under Stage 1: Prospect -> Lobethal, 135km

2013 Santos Tour Down Under Stage 1: Prospect -> Lobethal, 135km

Start time: 11am local time/11:30am AEDST/1:30am CET
Coverage start time: 1pm AEDST/3am CET on both GEM and ninemsn feed for those overseas.
Likely finish time: 3pm AEDST /5am CET

Map and Profile: http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/docu...13-stage-1.pdf

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/start-list.htm

Quote:
What Stuart O'Grady says...

Checker Hill never gets any easier. It's a really steep climb and it's very early in the race. Many people will be trying to conserve energy as it's the first proper climb. A lot of guys haven't raced yet this year so the heart rate will be going and it hurts a lot.

It's quite a lumpy ride out to Lobethal. We've done some reconnaissance and it's a lot harder than what it looks on paper. It could be a real little surprise package that day. The final 10km of the circuit is really, really tough. Especially as it's the first main race of the year a lot of guys won't have much racing under the belt. It could come as a real shock to the system and come out with a surprise result.

There are plenty of opportunities for attacks and I don't think it's going to come down to a big bunch sprint. It's tough enough to split the field. Even the final sprint to the line is a slight drag uphill. For the first race of the year it's going to really hurt.
Video stage preview
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 01-21-13, 04:19

I think a lot of the sprinters, maybe all of them, will be shut out today by either the break staying away or puncheurs going on the final climb, about 10 kms before the finish.
Old 01-21-13, 04:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirral View Post
I think a lot of the sprinters, maybe all of them, will be shut out today by either the break staying away or puncheurs going on the final climb, about 10 kms before the finish.
I don't see all the sprinters being shut out. It's the first pro tour race of the season and everybody wants it.
Unless somebody without a sprinter like BMC are going to make it super hard all day and try to split it up on the little climbs I think the sprint teams will have enough firepower to bring it back together.
Somebody might make a break on the climb but I think they will get brought back in the lead up to the line.
Might make for a really messy sprint if the catch happens late which could really disrupt the trains. If the puncheurs go for it then it might be the best chance for a non sprint dominant teams sprinter, like Guardini or Ferrari

Most likely I see the attacks being nullified and having the big sprinters having a crack
Old 01-21-13, 05:48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerion View Post
I don't see all the sprinters being shut out. It's the first pro tour race of the season and everybody wants it.
Unless somebody without a sprinter like BMC are going to make it super hard all day and try to split it up on the little climbs I think the sprint teams will have enough firepower to bring it back together.
Somebody might make a break on the climb but I think they will get brought back in the lead up to the line.
Might make for a really messy sprint if the catch happens late which could really disrupt the trains. If the puncheurs go for it then it might be the best chance for a non sprint dominant teams sprinter, like Guardini or Ferrari

Most likely I see the attacks being nullified and having the big sprinters having a crack
This favours Machado, a lot
Old 01-21-13, 06:35

Please stop............
Old 01-21-13, 07:09

Will there be a feed?
Old 01-21-13, 07:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwibus View Post
Will there be a feed?
I think that NINEMSN have streaming live coverage of the final 2 hours each day. Not sure on any region locks but the say they are bringing it to the world so I expect not
Old 01-21-13, 07:51

Greipel.

characters
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 01-21-13, 07:52

Why no times in AWST?
Old 01-21-13, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerion View Post

I agree with most of your post except for the idea of Guardini surviving to contest the finale, which i deem highly unlikely but if he does hopefully some CQ points can be scored.

I am hoping Goss can win, the finish will be complicated and he looks to have good sprinting legs (best of the rest). All he has to do is beat Greipel- easier said than done. Fenn and Demare could also surprise.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"