World Politics - Page 1285 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-19-13, 04:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post

Here's a comparison of the two leaders...
I've only just caught up on this thread and I'm dragging this up as I thought it might be time to balance a few of ACF posts.

ACF, it's interesting that you complain about Gillard when she mentions the fact she's an unmarried, childless women being used against her.. then post something like this.

I'm wondering what the point of showing she doesn't, and Abbott does, have a mortgage? To demonstrate Tony Abbott as more like the average Aussie because he has one?

Gillard doesn't have a mortgage because her house is in the modest working class suburb of Altona.
Abbott lives in an exclusive suburb in Northern Sydney and took out a $700,000+ mortgage against his house to cover expenses and his kids' private school fees after he lost his ministerial salary. Hardly your average Aussie now is he?
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/poli...-1225883125818

Economics degree in his column, no economics degree in her column. Her law degree isn't worth mentioning??

Needed Greens to win? So what, when was the last time the Libs governed without the Nats?

Bribed Independents? Maybe they found her more credible than the man that would do anything but "sell my ar$e" to form government.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-d...827-1jfgv.html

Abbott isn't the messiah you paint him to be, and she isn't the devil. I'm a fan of neither and I'm not going to make a grand prediction about who'll win the next election, but I think the public dislike of Abbott is greater than you seem to think. As long as he is leader, the Libs will have a tough time of it.
Old 01-19-13, 05:06

China? It's dominated by SOEs or quasi-SOEs and economic power is concentrated into very few, relatively speaking.
Old 01-19-13, 06:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalina View Post
I've only just caught up on this thread and I'm dragging this up as I thought it might be time to balance a few of ACF posts.
Welcome to the discussion.

Quote:
ACF, it's interesting that you complain about Gillard when she mentions the fact she's an unmarried, childless women being used against her.. then post something like this.

I'm wondering what the point of showing she doesn't, and Abbott does, have a mortgage? To demonstrate Tony Abbott as more like the average Aussie because he has one?
Firstly, the chart is not of my making. Numerous things on it I find out of line. Nonetheless, people often find rude things quite funny and it was posted for a laugh. Gillard's martial status and Abbott having a mortgage does not bother.

Quote:
Gillard doesn't have a mortgage because her house is in the modest working class suburb of Altona.
Abbott lives in an exclusive suburb in Northern Sydney and took out a $700,000+ mortgage against his house to cover expenses and his kids' private school fees after he lost his ministerial salary. Hardly your average Aussie now is he?
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/poli...-1225883125818
I am not sure if you live in Melbourne or not, but Altona is a beach side suburb in the West. It is a rather affluent part of the western suburbs in some parts. I do agree that Abbott's house would be more expensive, by and large.

Quote:
Economics degree in his column, no economics degree in her column. Her law degree isn't worth mentioning??

Needed Greens to win? So what, when was the last time the Libs governed without the Nats?

Bribed Independents? Maybe they found her more credible than the man that would do anything but "sell my ar$e" to form government.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-d...827-1jfgv.html
Both have a law degree, so I don't see your point there. The last time the Liberals didn't need to govern with the Nationals was in '96 and they nearly had that opportunity in '04. The alliance with the Nationals is also a formal coalition declared before the election. They are ideologically very close. The Labor Green alliance is not a formal coalition and although both the ALP and Greens are centre-left parties, I wouldn't say that they are ideologically close.It is interesting to read that you trust a man like Tony Windsor who is elected on a conservative platform yet completely rejects those principles in Parliament. He is also someone who complained about the standards of political discussion but then splurts the crap about Abbott selling his ****. It is quite interesting that initially both the Greens and the Independents said that Abbott did not want to give them enough and was rather nonchalant about dealing with the Independents yet now when it suits Windsor, he changes his mind on that. Certainly not trustworthy.

Quote:
Abbott isn't the messiah you paint him to be, and she isn't the devil. I'm a fan of neither and I'm not going to make a grand prediction about who'll win the next election, but I think the public dislike of Abbott is greater than you seem to think. As long as he is leader, the Libs will have a tough time of it.
You again make the flawed mistake that we live in a Presidential system. We do not. John Howard was not seen as being a charismatic, charming leader, but he won four elections. I personally think that the personal dislike of Abbott is blown out of proportion in the media. They always dislike the guy who is the leader and try to push in the guy who isn't, i.e. Turnbull. You may think that the Libs will have a tough time winning with him yet Abbott's poll numbers have been superb and I mean the poll numbers that actually count, 2PP and primary vote.

btw, I would be happy if this poll eventuated into reality.

http://www.smh.com.au/queensland/tre...119-2czo4.html
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.

Last edited by auscyclefan94; 01-19-13 at 06:46.
Old 01-19-13, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Australia since the mid-eighties would be regarded as a free market economy although this has gone backwards under Gillard/Rudd. The US would to a certain extent be regarded as a free market although domestic politics somewhat alter that. Even China could be recognised as a free market economy with in recent years, the government opening up it's borders economically with Free Trade agreements with countries like Australia.

The reason why I am apprehensive to state that some countries are outright 'free markets' because there are still some policies in these countries that are protectionist, even though they are largely free market economies.
No doubt. If not most.

On the subject of China, highly selective free trade agreements is the not nearly the same thing as free market. The US/China relationships are hardly what could be considered free market in the traditional (or pretty much any other) sense.
Old 01-19-13, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
No doubt. If not most.

On the subject of China, highly selective free trade agreements is the not nearly the same thing as free market. The US/China relationships are hardly what could be considered free market in the traditional (or pretty much any other) sense.
On reflection, you are correct. China ca be rather fickle with it's trade agreements.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 01-20-13, 04:28

Which is the reason Chinese economy was able to grow this fast of course.
Old 01-20-13, 05:11

Blasphemy! We all know the Thai model to foreign openness is the best, let the money be free!
Old 01-20-13, 05:33

Thailand's growth spurt was also initiated by putting limitations on free market and by a partial planned economy.
Developing countries who were forced to open the whole marked due to the Washington Consensus, could never follow Thailand's path.

Of course the Thai also never suffered from colonization like other developing countries did.
Old 01-20-13, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Soldier View Post
Which is the reason Chinese economy was able to grow this fast of course.
They have a very productive labour force due to very liberal IR laws, but that is not necessarily ideal or practical for western countries.
Old 01-21-13, 09:00

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/world-...233204795.html

The World's Happiest Countries:

1. Norway
2. Denmark
3. Sweden
4. Australia
5. New Zealand
6. Canada
7. Finland
8. The Netherlands
9. Switzerland
10. Ireland

surely it’s much more than about our geog-location, but, curiously the vikings in particular are a happy lot just as the peoples of nordic background in general.

why is that ? Wait, I know…we like our booze and don't feel too guilty about it