Tips to visit Tour of Flandres - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-22-13, 12:21

Default Tips to visit Tour of Flandres

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking to travel from Portugal to Belgium to see Ronde van Vlaanderen and I'm planning all the travel. I have some doubts and hope someone of you can help me.

I want go to Oude Kwaremont or Paterberg. How early I need arrive? One hour? Two hours? I will walking from Anzegem or bus.

Thanks
Old 01-22-13, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui Quinta View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm thinking to travel from Portugal to Belgium to see Ronde van Vlaanderen and I'm planning all the travel. I have some doubts and hope someone of you can help me.

I want go to Oude Kwaremont or Paterberg. How early I need arrive? One hour? Two hours? I will walking from Anzegem or bus.

Thanks
My tip: travel at least 2 years back in time.
Old 01-22-13, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_fiammingo View Post
My tip: travel at least 2 years back in time.
Why? Because te VIP Zone?
Old 01-22-13, 13:27

The Kwaremont will be super busy and there's no good-sized locality to soak up some of the crowds like Geraardsbergen used to do for the Muur.

I would say you'll need three to four hours to select and hold a good spot. Try to watch some videos in order to help you with that, because it's a long climb and you don't want to waste time on the day.

On the Kwaremont, the tree-lined section before the village crossroads is a good place because the riders are slow and funnelled here close to the top. It's nicely sheltered by trees and I was well protected there during the worst of the apocalyptic 2010 edition of Kuurne Brussel Kuurne. But it will be very busy.

Walking or cycling are the best options if you don't mind the effort. The landscape is pretty nice down there though there's only one bridge crossing anywhere near Berchem village.

Take an umbrella (it rarely rains on Ronde day nowadays, but you never know) and some food and drink. Forget needing the toilet.

I don't bother with the Ronde these days because pretty much all of the E17/E40 triangle of Flanders shuts down making it hard to reach on the day. I prefer to do the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad / Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne double.
Old 01-22-13, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui Quinta View Post
Why? Because te VIP Zone?
No, there were VIP zones before (on top of the Koppenberg e.g.). It's just that the organizers sold the soul of the Ronde. They had a great format, a great final and they messed it up by forcing a classic to end with 3 local laps.

The ronde as it should be...

Last edited by il_fiammingo; 01-22-13 at 15:38.
Old 01-22-13, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_fiammingo View Post
No, there were VIP zones before (on top of the Koppenberg e.g.). It's just that the organizers sold the soul of the Ronde. They had a great format, a great final and they messed it up by forcing a classic to end with 3 local laps.

The ronde as it should be...
... and will be again, I think. Let's be patient.
Old 01-22-13, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'arriviste View Post
The Kwaremont will be super busy and there's no good-sized locality to soak up some of the crowds like Geraardsbergen used to do for the Muur.

I would say you'll need three to four hours to select and hold a good spot. Try to watch some videos in order to help you with that, because it's a long climb and you don't want to waste time on the day.

On the Kwaremont, the tree-lined section before the village crossroads is a good place because the riders are slow and funnelled here close to the top. It's nicely sheltered by trees and I was well protected there during the worst of the apocalyptic 2010 edition of Kuurne Brussel Kuurne. But it will be very busy.

Walking or cycling are the best options if you don't mind the effort. The landscape is pretty nice down there though there's only one bridge crossing anywhere near Berchem village.

Take an umbrella (it rarely rains on Ronde day nowadays, but you never know) and some food and drink. Forget needing the toilet.

I don't bother with the Ronde these days because pretty much all of the E17/E40 triangle of Flanders shuts down making it hard to reach on the day. I prefer to do the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad / Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne double.
Thank you very much. I will try arrive 3 hours before the race.

il_fiammingo, back in time is not posible, so I will try enjoy what I can
Old 01-22-13, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'arriviste View Post

I prefer a spot near the end where the Feelbosstraat crosses the Kwaremont. It's kind of a chicane that rises a little. If they race hard or not, the peloton is always stretched near the end which makes it easier to recognize the riders.
You can also see the Paterberg from there (although you might need binoculars then ). But with all the VIP domains, i'm not sure this section be be open to the public.

I don't know when you'll be in the country but if possible you can use the E3 Harelbeke (my favourite) as a rehearsal.