Tips to visit Tour of Flandres - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-22-13, 12:21
Rui Quinta's Avatar
Rui Quinta Rui Quinta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Algarve, Portugal
Posts: 98
Default Tips to visit Tour of Flandres

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking to travel from Portugal to Belgium to see Ronde van Vlaanderen and I'm planning all the travel. I have some doubts and hope someone of you can help me.

I want go to Oude Kwaremont or Paterberg. How early I need arrive? One hour? Two hours? I will walking from Anzegem or bus.

Thanks
__________________
My personal blog (in portuguese): www.carrovassoura.blogspot.pt
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-22-13, 13:05
il_fiammingo's Avatar
il_fiammingo il_fiammingo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Geraardsbergen, Belgium
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui Quinta View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm thinking to travel from Portugal to Belgium to see Ronde van Vlaanderen and I'm planning all the travel. I have some doubts and hope someone of you can help me.

I want go to Oude Kwaremont or Paterberg. How early I need arrive? One hour? Two hours? I will walking from Anzegem or bus.

Thanks
My tip: travel at least 2 years back in time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-13, 13:10
Rui Quinta's Avatar
Rui Quinta Rui Quinta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Algarve, Portugal
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_fiammingo View Post
My tip: travel at least 2 years back in time.
Why? Because te VIP Zone?
__________________
My personal blog (in portuguese): www.carrovassoura.blogspot.pt
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-13, 13:27
L'arriviste's Avatar
L'arriviste L'arriviste is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,962
Default

The Kwaremont will be super busy and there's no good-sized locality to soak up some of the crowds like Geraardsbergen used to do for the Muur.

I would say you'll need three to four hours to select and hold a good spot. Try to watch some videos in order to help you with that, because it's a long climb and you don't want to waste time on the day.

On the Kwaremont, the tree-lined section before the village crossroads is a good place because the riders are slow and funnelled here close to the top. It's nicely sheltered by trees and I was well protected there during the worst of the apocalyptic 2010 edition of Kuurne Brussel Kuurne. But it will be very busy.

Walking or cycling are the best options if you don't mind the effort. The landscape is pretty nice down there though there's only one bridge crossing anywhere near Berchem village.

Take an umbrella (it rarely rains on Ronde day nowadays, but you never know) and some food and drink. Forget needing the toilet.

I don't bother with the Ronde these days because pretty much all of the E17/E40 triangle of Flanders shuts down making it hard to reach on the day. I prefer to do the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad / Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne double.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-13, 15:18
il_fiammingo's Avatar
il_fiammingo il_fiammingo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Geraardsbergen, Belgium
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui Quinta View Post
Why? Because te VIP Zone?
No, there were VIP zones before (on top of the Koppenberg e.g.). It's just that the organizers sold the soul of the Ronde. They had a great format, a great final and they messed it up by forcing a classic to end with 3 local laps.

The ronde as it should be...




Last edited by il_fiammingo; 01-22-13 at 15:38.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-13, 15:43
L'arriviste's Avatar
L'arriviste L'arriviste is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_fiammingo View Post
No, there were VIP zones before (on top of the Koppenberg e.g.). It's just that the organizers sold the soul of the Ronde. They had a great format, a great final and they messed it up by forcing a classic to end with 3 local laps.

The ronde as it should be...
... and will be again, I think. Let's be patient.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-13, 16:21
Rui Quinta's Avatar
Rui Quinta Rui Quinta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Algarve, Portugal
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'arriviste View Post
The Kwaremont will be super busy and there's no good-sized locality to soak up some of the crowds like Geraardsbergen used to do for the Muur.

I would say you'll need three to four hours to select and hold a good spot. Try to watch some videos in order to help you with that, because it's a long climb and you don't want to waste time on the day.

On the Kwaremont, the tree-lined section before the village crossroads is a good place because the riders are slow and funnelled here close to the top. It's nicely sheltered by trees and I was well protected there during the worst of the apocalyptic 2010 edition of Kuurne Brussel Kuurne. But it will be very busy.

Walking or cycling are the best options if you don't mind the effort. The landscape is pretty nice down there though there's only one bridge crossing anywhere near Berchem village.

Take an umbrella (it rarely rains on Ronde day nowadays, but you never know) and some food and drink. Forget needing the toilet.

I don't bother with the Ronde these days because pretty much all of the E17/E40 triangle of Flanders shuts down making it hard to reach on the day. I prefer to do the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad / Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne double.
Thank you very much. I will try arrive 3 hours before the race.


il_fiammingo, back in time is not posible, so I will try enjoy what I can
__________________
My personal blog (in portuguese): www.carrovassoura.blogspot.pt
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-22-13, 16:30
il_fiammingo's Avatar
il_fiammingo il_fiammingo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Geraardsbergen, Belgium
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'arriviste View Post
On the Kwaremont, the tree-lined section before the village crossroads is a good place because the riders are slow and funnelled here close to the top. It's nicely sheltered by trees and I was well protected there during the worst of the apocalyptic 2010 edition of Kuurne Brussel Kuurne. But it will be very busy.

I don't bother with the Ronde these days because pretty much all of the E17/E40 triangle of Flanders shuts down making it hard to reach on the day. I prefer to do the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad / Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne double.
I prefer a spot near the end where the Feelbosstraat crosses the Kwaremont. It's kind of a chicane that rises a little. If they race hard or not, the peloton is always stretched near the end which makes it easier to recognize the riders.
You can also see the Paterberg from there (although you might need binoculars then ). But with all the VIP domains, i'm not sure this section be be open to the public.

I don't know when you'll be in the country but if possible you can use the E3 Harelbeke (my favourite) as a rehearsal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.